Toyota Linear Generator Hybrid Engine.

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
WhiteBlue

Re: Toyota Linear Generator Hybrid Engine.

Nasa had a linear generator stirling engine working for many years. Its descendants are now being used as small combined heat and power generators in the building heating market. The beauty of the concept is the encapsulation. The units are practically maintenance free. If you shoot it into space that is a convincing argument which should also be helpful for a range extender of an electric vehicle. So I think the concept may have its uses.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

MOWOG

Some posters seem to think that an ICE is an ICE is an ICE and there is nothing new under the sun. I, on the other hand, think Toyota deserves a =D> for thinking outside the combustion chamber. Yes, the individual parts may not be novel or unique, but the total design is pretty darn impressive.

Good work, lads! :wink:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

re WBs post
this Toyota unit is particularly compact with a good power:weight ratio and of an efficiency typical of ICE potential
Stirling cycle engines are particularly bulky with a poor power:weight ratio but tend to have much higher efficiencies
so they are not competing for the same applications

WhiteBlue

So the conclusion is that linear units may have power to weight advantages, could potentially be maintenance free and achieve industry leading thermal efficiency. It sounds convincing as a package.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Powerslide

langwadt wrote:3000rpm, 7.5cm stroke, 1kg piston assembly => 3000/60 * 0.075*2 => 7.5m/s average

0.5 * 1kg * 7.5^2 = 28 joule => 28joule * ((2*3000rpm)/60sec) = 2800Watt

even if you double or triple that the generator should be able to extract much more energy than that
\so you are saying that solenoid can stop 845ibs momentum alone at 7.5M per second to naught?
speed

autogyro
autogyro

Convert the air spring to an air pump and use it to supercharge the induction air. You then have a through scavenged supercharged two stroke.

Callum

autogyro wrote:Convert the air spring to an air pump and use it to supercharge the induction air. You then have a through scavenged supercharged two stroke.
...I asked about this on page 1 and no-body replied :(

langwadt
langwadt

Callum wrote:
autogyro wrote:Convert the air spring to an air pump and use it to supercharge the induction air. You then have a through scavenged supercharged two stroke.
it would make sense, a two-stroke needs some kind of pump for scavenging you might as well use the backside
of the piston. And in this case the piston can have different area front and back so you can up the pressure

autogyro
autogyro

langwadt wrote:
Callum wrote:
it would make sense, a two-stroke needs some kind of pump for scavenging you might as well use the backside
of the piston. And in this case the piston can have different area front and back so you can up the pressure
Sorry Callum I am getting old and I no longer read all the threads right through, lazy I know.
With the linear motor/generator with instant control over load, it becomes possible to recover much more of the energy and to store or use it more efficiently.
It is an ideal primary power source for my ESERU power train which uses electric shifting and electric energy to drive the car and recover kinetic energy.
Using the air spring to supply air to the inlet ports would make full use of the compressed air instead of wasting it as excess heat.
Using my ESERU would negate using complex throttling of the linear motor and it would become a simple matter to control its output in electricity by increasing load to electrical storage and balancing this with directly driving the ESERU through to the road wheels.
Controlling fuel flow, strokes per minute and the volume and pressure from the air spring would be a simple matter using control over electrical load as the primary control.
I would love to be working on such a project.

hussnein
hussnein

Re: ree-piston engine linear generator

ree-piston engine linear generator...The team presented two papers on the state of their work at the recent SAE 2014 World Congress in Detroit.the mover and the stator coils together comprise the linear generator component of the FPEG