The Porsche 917 thread

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
xpensive
xpensive

The Porsche 917 thread

Most members probably associate the Porsche 917 with the 1200 Hp CanAm turbo;

But this is how it began, with 25 cars classified to race in FIA's new 5.0 class for 1970, Ferrari did the same with the 512S.

This is a thread for those interested in this car and its developments, all and everything is welcome
Last edited by xpensive on 22 Sep 2014, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

SectorOne

Re: The Porsche 917 thread

Should probably be moved though,

"General chat
Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat."
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive
xpensive

SectorOne wrote:Should probably be moved though,

"General chat
Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat."
Dear moderator, I'm bad, been caught out posting under the incorrect banner, kindly advise me what to do with myself?

turbof1

xpensive wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Should probably be moved though,

"General chat
Dear moderator, I'm bad, been caught out posting under the incorrect banner, kindly advise me what to do with myself?
yeah, you're a bad boy! Bad boy! No stop watching me with those sad eyes, ain't gonna work, you're gonna... . Ah damnit, ok here's a cookie.

I moved the topic to the forum "automotive tech something"
#AeroFrodo

xpensive
xpensive

Pedro Rodriguez, rasied arm, was one of the few who could make the original car dance.

MadMatt
MadMatt

A fantastic car ahead of its time from which not only the CanAm versions were derivated, but also the very successful 956s and 962s. It is also a very tiny car, proper 1970s look with a lot of curves rather than sharp edges. Fat rear tyres and powerful engine made this car quite challenging to drive at high speed, hence why 2 versions existed, the K for "Kurz" and L for "Lang", as Porsche did with the 956.

The CanAm version is somehow special in the sense that Porsche arrived in America against teams and cars that were here from a longer time, mostly with V8 engines, while they came with a turbocharged engine, which soon became much more powerful than the others, eventually killing the competition.

The last picture you posted with the white 917s were for the FIA inspection in March 1969 (wow, 45 years ago!).

:)

xpensive
xpensive

MadMatt wrote: ....
The last picture you posted with the white 917s were for the FIA inspection in March 1969 (wow, 45 years ago!).

Indeed, while Ferrari did the same show with the 512S, images anyone?

MadMatt
MadMatt

There you go:

marcush.
marcush.

wow you needed not even 1hour to unearth that jewel.... :wtf:

xpensive
xpensive

Mama, if I die tonight I die a happy man....this thread will be good!

RicerDude

wesley123
wesley123

The 917 was waaaay before I was born and never actually witnessed it. I prefer the 956/962 above the 917, but the 917 is still amazing. It looks so out of proportions and because of that it looks so incredibly brutal(and deadly).

My favorite one has to be the Pink Pig. An aerodynamic study to combine both the LH as well as K versions into one platform. The car was wider than the other 917s and because of that looks even more out of proportions. No idea how it actually performed, though.

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

& if you'd really like one of those beautiful beasties, but cant quite afford one with all that race-history/patina..
..then ask mama to get you one of these - shiny & new, for Xmas..
http://www.werkzcars.com/917.html
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

xpensive
xpensive

Bobby Rintzler's RC 917-10 from 1973, driven by Gerogre Follmer, is one of my favorites;

bdr529

Here's a pic of John Horsman's handywork turning the original short tail into the one we all know today

Next some interesting test methods at the proving grounds :D