Road car with the best grip and downforce

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
djones

Re: Road car with the best grip and downforce

95% of this will depend on the tyres.

You can take any 'sporty' car and put slicks and it and it will out grip most stock Ferraris etc.

As for an actual car, if you mean used then maybe something like an E36 M3 stripped out for weight and a good set of tyres.

garygph

Need to know more about what series you are entering. Engine size limitations etc etc. Cannot give an educated answer with such little info

bidong

Also, after doing its racing purposes, are you planning to be able to take this on the open road as a valid road car? Lastly, where are you from?

bidong

Ladies and gents, presenting, the 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan. I've seen two door coupes of this but ive always been
imprezzed by this four door "family car."

I think this is the most reasonable in that price range. It has excellent grip, and traction off the corners. The parts are easy to find though the mechanics arent. It still looks good more than a decade after. Watch out for the traction control system on this car as I have heard it is massive butt hurt to fix. Also look for some service history, and check the seller if he did some prior modifications to it; 80% of imprezas have gone some modifications. It's best to get it stock version so that you can build it up from a clean template.

Subaru blue on those gold rims also speak levels on its WRC heritage.

Tell us more about what you are aiming for? Maybe we can have better options down the line.

The Honda S2000 comes second for me ; as of now.

Pieoter

Renault Sport Megane

R27.r did the ring in just over 8min.

flynfrog

The correct answer is the car you can afford slicks for.

g-force_addict

Did you mean L15000 / 20000 E for a new car or an used one?

If new then maybe just a Scion or Mazda miata/MX.

If used maybe you could see if you can find a Lotus Elise project car for that budget.

Jolle

If it's to be fast and furious around your neighborhood, just put some go faster stripes on your Peugeot, that usually does the trick. If you want some real lap time, get something like a Mini Cooper and invest in some real tires.

mzivtins

what about an rx-8?

engine good for 240bhp
0-60 in 6secs stock.
Electronic slip diff as standard
Stock handling is punching way above its league (beats m3's etc on the top gear track)
Full leather interior
four seats
stick braided lines and new pads on and the brakes are trackable

The best bit is the price... an absolutely mint one will set you back on £2500 here

Engine rebuilds are only £700 if you blow the thing.

The car can take huge wheels without modification: up to 10.5 inch WIDE 19inch rims with 45mm offset

I did a lot of research on what car would be best for this application and i settled on the rx-8, i highly recommend them! 9.5k redline is a lovely thing

Sevach

Mclaren P1?
Mclaren says it produces downforce comparable to it's GT3 car, and has the most extreme tyre on the market Pirelli Trofeos as an optional.

Phil

flynfrog wrote:The correct answer is the car you can afford slicks for.
Indeed. But you also need to factor in that the car will need to cope with the added forces. In other words, you can't just put on slicks onto any car without putting some thought into what the car can cope with, and more importantly, that the engine doesn't run dry whilst cornering.

On just about any tracks I've been too, the quickest cars around are most always Caterham Super7s, even the ones with ~185bhp K-Rover engines. And by a mile too. Once you get into the league with R500s, CSRs you are in another world entirely lap-time wise. They even handily beat an Arial Atom (I'm guessing due to the Atoms higher CoG) in cornering. Once you put in a sequential gearbox, you can shave off even more time of your lap. And the best thing? They're relatively cheap and the low weight yields further benefits in that not huge tires are required, not huge brake disks, calipers etc to have sufficient braking force. So more money shaved.

Once you take Porsches or other more expensive track focused cars, it quickly gets more and more expensive with little benefit lap-time wise vs. a Super7.

True, on a track like the Nordschleife, the Super7s lack of top-speed will see it beaten by quite a few cars (in higher price range), but in cornering? Not a chance, unless you're in something like a Zonda-R and other hyper-cars.

For what it's also worth; I've had the pleasure to match my car with a Nissan GT-R on small twisty tracks and even in my car @900kg, it's amazing what that Nissan can do cornering wise. It's essentially a small car just enlarged. It has very wide sticky tires (relatively) speaking and will murder most cars in cornering (sans a Super7 which is just another league).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

VARIANT | one

Caparo T1 would be my guess. Smashed the Top Gear power board time, but they took it off as the car the Stig ran was prepreoduction and didn't have the lift system to get over the speed bump qualification. :roll:

J.A.W.

Yeah.. I think this one - the Porsche 917 road car: http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/12/29/rema ... rsche-917/
..might just have that humble wee Scooby-do - done - like a proverbial 'dogs dinner'.. thread topic-wise..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

the EDGE

VARIANT | one wrote:Caparo T1 would be my guess. Smashed the Top Gear power board time, but they took it off as the car the Stig ran was prepreoduction and didn't have the lift system to get over the speed bump qualification. :roll:

http://cdn1.evo.co.uk/sites/evo/files/i ... 305886.jpg

was this the inspiration for the W07 nose & wing pylon combination perhaps?

krisfx

bidong wrote:Ladies and gents, presenting, the 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Sedan. I've seen two door coupes of this but ive always been
imprezzed by this four door "family car."

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Subaru-Impre ... per_05.jpg

I think this is the most reasonable in that price range. It has excellent grip, and traction off the corners. The parts are easy to find though the mechanics arent. It still looks good more than a decade after. Watch out for the traction control system on this car as I have heard it is massive butt hurt to fix. Also look for some service history, and check the seller if he did some prior modifications to it; 80% of imprezas have gone some modifications. It's best to get it stock version so that you can build it up from a clean template.

Subaru blue on those gold rims also speak levels on its WRC heritage.

Tell us more about what you are aiming for? Maybe we can have better options down the line.

The Honda S2000 comes second for me ; as of now.
I think for the Impreza it's worth going for a Type 25 or a JDM one (who doesn't love the spec C?). A friend of mine has the WRX STI Widetrack, the standard UK version of that car had to be sold with an RAC based tracker, which absolutely saps the battery when not in use. Over £1000 to have that changed & a massive pain in the arse