Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
rjsa
rjsa

Re: Aston Martin wants hyper-car to be faster than F1 cars

Do you have a link?

No Lotus
No Lotus

rjsa wrote:Do you have a link?
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/british ... m-rb-001#1
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... -am-rb-001

ENGINE?
"In fact, at this point Newey is still leaving himself some wriggle room as to the specs. He explains that designing the exact outline of that V12 will take a couple more months. He says he’ll use that time to do lots of virtual simulations of different configurations for the rest of the powertrain – the transmission and possible hybrid system."

HYBRIDIZATION?
Newey: “Clearly hybrids offer a lot of opportunities. But we’re researching those, or whether we can do it purely mechanically.”

TRANSMISSION?
Newey: "That’s one of our major research areas. We don’t much like the current trends of double-clutch gearboxes; they weigh 150kg and they’re very bulky, which doesn’t suit the concept. So we’re seeing what we can do about that. Packaging the powertrain and its cooling gear has taken a few iterations; I’m working on the Mk6 right now.'"

SUSPENSION? In a high-downforce road car, how do you provide spring rates that can handle the load at speed yet deliver comfort going slower?
Newey: “We have an answer, but you’ll have to wait for that one. We’re still heavily in the research stage, and we’ve been into quite a few new areas. The exact spec is still pretty fluid and I want to keep it that way for as long as possible."
SCUDERIA FASE
2016 Phase 1

SR71

No Lotus wrote:
rjsa wrote:Do you have a link?
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/british ... m-rb-001#1
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... -am-rb-001

ENGINE?
"In fact, at this point Newey is still leaving himself some wriggle room as to the specs. He explains that designing the exact outline of that V12 will take a couple more months. He says he’ll use that time to do lots of virtual simulations of different configurations for the rest of the powertrain – the transmission and possible hybrid system."

HYBRIDIZATION?
Newey: “Clearly hybrids offer a lot of opportunities. But we’re researching those, or whether we can do it purely mechanically.”

TRANSMISSION?
Newey: "That’s one of our major research areas. We don’t much like the current trends of double-clutch gearboxes; they weigh 150kg and they’re very bulky, which doesn’t suit the concept. So we’re seeing what we can do about that. Packaging the powertrain and its cooling gear has taken a few iterations; I’m working on the Mk6 right now.'"

SUSPENSION? In a high-downforce road car, how do you provide spring rates that can handle the load at speed yet deliver comfort going slower?
Newey: “We have an answer, but you’ll have to wait for that one. We’re still heavily in the research stage, and we’ve been into quite a few new areas. The exact spec is still pretty fluid and I want to keep it that way for as long as possible."
They're keeping their cards close. Love the secrecy and this PR spin.

humble sabot

Playing around with volumes on paper I'm encouraged that they might actually achieve all their goals. The gearbox is going to have to be on the compact end of things for sure but i think everything else will fit. My suspicion is that the suspension will sit beside the gearbox as opposed to on top as it would in an F1 architecture. The exhaust works if it's a fairly F1 arrangement, being beside the engine, mufflers on each side and then a final muffler/collector on top of the gearbox. Fuel and oil should fit in the pocket between the passengers and under their backs. The trickiest mechanical thing that seems to be left is making sure the engine doesn't starve for air at the top end, and the radiator exits are not overly restricted. To fit the bodywork as presented those exits will have to fit into the space that's usually rear wheel well exit on similar cars. Interestingly, those openings don't appear to be rendered as ducts at all on the model. The overall plan does seem to be slightly less restrictive than F1 since most of the space between the wheels and motor can be used. The cooling solution is definitely going to be interesting to see.

The 1000 horsepower part should be interesting as well. It's within the range of commercial roadable NA engines, mostly motorcyle ones, but with none of the parties involved being in the habit of doing that level of specific output themselves I imagine there's got to be another unannounced party in the mix somewhere. Even AMG is not in the habit of doing that on NA motors. Ilmor maybe? Are they still extant? Is Renault-Nissan? Cosworth made the One 77 engine shine, but will they fit into a deal including Red Bull?

I think the doors are the only place for any luggage, so it's not going to be any kind of replacement for your old Maclaren F1 :cry:
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

DiogoBrand

humble sabot wrote:
I think the doors are the only place for any luggage, so it's not going to be any kind of replacement for your old Maclaren F1 :cry:
Here was I thinking I'd get something newer to carry my luggage than my good old F1. :|
:lol:

Andres125sx

rjsa wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:That´s true. But batteries have the advantage (compared to a ICE) they can be splitted in several packages and placed at different locations to optimize CG. Maybe not enough with a design this aggressive tough
A Model S drags north of half a ton in batteries alone. Another 170kg for motor and inverter. The ICE would probably run below half that weight on a full tank.
Does that change something I said?

rjsa
rjsa

Andres125sx wrote:
rjsa wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:That´s true. But batteries have the advantage (compared to a ICE) they can be splitted in several packages and placed at different locations to optimize CG. Maybe not enough with a design this aggressive tough
A Model S drags north of half a ton in batteries alone. Another 170kg for motor and inverter. The ICE would probably run below half that weight on a full tank.
Does that change something I said?
Every post must be confrontational?

Jolle
Jolle

Just from a performance side, a hybrid system would seem logical. No ICE or clutch can match the torque off the line or support the drivability from an electric supported system.

The central exhaust of the model almost suggest a f1 style PU.

The car looks amazing! But it also looks like it's going to change quite a lot. If it would be powered by a 1000hp v12 without help, the cooling would be grande, and in this model there isn't an awful lot of options for that.

With Newey's quest for slimness, a F1 style PU with all the tricks might be one of the best solutions, aiming for a high thermal efficiency so you don't need to many radiators which mess up shape and aero.

krisfx
krisfx

mrluke wrote:
bhall II wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:From what I've heard pedestrian safety regs don't apply to super low volume stuff.
Did not know that. I thank you.
The report said they were looking to homologate which sounds more regulated than an IVA test which is how the kit cars get on the road.

I work with a lot of low volume stuff & I frequently see pedestrian safety bits for homologation.

humble sabot

what kind of bits?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

DiogoBrand

When people commented on the high front end of the car it instantly reminded me of the Huayra. I remember Horacio Pagani saying that they lifted the front of the car because otherwise it was producing lift instead of downforce.
Both cars have similar front-ends (although the Huayra isn't as minimalistic).

krisfx
krisfx

humble sabot wrote:what kind of bits?

Generally I just see the named bodies in CAD as opposed to physical components :) - I could be wrong, though it's been a while since I've looked at the particular bits in question.

I would be less vague, but I can't really :(

F1YMS
F1YMS

This car will raise the bar to a entirely new level.

rscsr

F1YMS wrote:This car will raise the bar to a entirely new level.
I don't know if that is a joke about that ridiculus cog, fanboy or paid by Aston.

SR71

F1YMS wrote:This car will raise the bar to a entirely new level.
Surface Pressure Bar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(unit)