Dynamic wheel arches in BMW's next 100 years

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Shooty81

Re: Dynamic wheel arches in BMW's next 100 years

Seems to be another 4d printing technology:

https://www.heidelberg.com/es/en/produc ... a/idea.jsp

But could be very interesting for weight saving in motorsports applications.

ds.raikkonen

VARIANT | one wrote:^
LMFAO :lol: That looks like it makes about one fourth the downforce that it adds in weight for the friggen' mechanism.

Is that thing even airfoil in section?! :wtf: German engineering ain't what it used to be.
Well, it is a road car so it's supposed to look more 'spectacular' than functional :wink:
However, what makes you say it does not produce any down force, any data to support it? Although I am not sure whether it is a 'spoiler' or a 'wing', looks more like a spoiler to me.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

VARIANT | one

However, what makes you say it does not produce any down force, any data to support it? Although I am not sure whether it is a 'spoiler' or a 'wing', looks more like a spoiler to me.
Unless my understanding of aero principles are awry, it can't make awfully much, especially in the context of the weight of that pig of a car.

I understand the need to "Gurney" detach the airflow at the back of sedans to get an appropriate Kamm tail effect, but this looks really overwrought and poorly thought out to me. :? Why not just use the underbody? It's the simplest way to create downforce/counter lift without adding significant drag.

Jolle

VARIANT | one wrote:
Unless my understanding of aero principles are awry, it can't make awfully much, especially in the context of the weight of that pig of a car.

I understand the need to "Gurney" detach the airflow at the back of sedans to get an appropriate Kamm tail effect, but this looks really overwrought and poorly thought out to me. :? Why not just use the underbody? It's the simplest way to create downforce/counter lift without adding significant drag.
I drove behind one, joining on the motorway. Doesn't matter if it works or not, looks epic when it's deploying :D it's a Porsche trademark as I see it.

VARIANT | one

Jolle wrote:I drove behind one, joining on the motorway. Doesn't matter if it works or not, looks epic when it's deploying :D it's a Porsche trademark as I see it.
Looks like one of the ugliest Porsches ever built (I'm not alone in that opin) miscarrying a first trimester transformer to me. :lol:

ds.raikkonen

Jolle wrote:I drove behind one, joining on the motorway. Doesn't matter if it works or not, looks epic when it's deploying :D it's a Porsche trademark as I see it.
As I said, it is a road car, it should look good. At least they did not use gullwing doors! Porsche road cars have been the most understated, IMO. They're not the the sort to add showy stuff on their cars.
VARIANT | one wrote:Looks like one of the ugliest Porsches ever built (I'm not alone in that opin) miscarrying a first trimester transformer to me. :lol:
Even though I am not the Panamera's biggest admirer, I think the new one looks much better than the last one:
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC