Ariel Atom

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
dp35
dp35

Ariel Atom

Since the thread linked below took a turn towards an overall discussion of the Ariel Atom, I started this thread for those that want to continue or expand on that topic.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5681

First of all, here's a couple of my track videos.
From Laguna Seca:
http://www.vimeo.com/899517

Me and a friend in his 400+hp Atom, equiped with Formula Atlantic tires, at Reno-Fernley Raceway:
http://www.vimeo.com/1168859

About the Atom's rearward weight distribution - yes, its weight is rear biased, approx 60/40, which is similar to a Porsche 911. It seems part of Porsche's solution has been to match tire widths to the proportions of weight at each end, resulting in significantly wider rear tires. This would likely work on the Atom as well, if there were bespoke tires for it as there are for Porsches. But the problem is that there's no street tire with the right construction for Atoms, they're all too stiff in terms of compound and sidewall for a car this light. Atoms can't get enough heat into the tires, and using wider rears would result in less heat and thus less traction, but more weight.

One idea is to use a bias ply racing slick, made for an open wheel car of similar weight. The other Atom shown in the video above is the 1st to do this, using Formula Atlantic tires. But this car isn't sorted out yet, so it isn't taking full advantage of those tires. The biggest problem with using this type of tire is that it will put more pressure on the rear wheel bearings, which are already a weak point. For various reasons including wheel bearings, I'm limiting myself to one set of wheels, with street legal tires on them. Of course "street legal" still allows various near slicks including autocross tires like Hoosier A6's, which might work well. If I ever decide to use A6's, the question will be what's the max rear size that will still get up to temperature?

On my Atom, I've already spent some time on the suspension, alignment, and tires. I log the tire & brake temps, tire pressures, lap times, etc, for every session I run. My changes to the car have already resulted in big lap time improvements. Of course part of this is due to me learing how to drive the car. My prior experience included shifter kart racing and track days in a Porsche 996.

With 245hp and only 1,350 lbs, my Atom has an equal power to weight ratio of a 3,000 lb car with 545hp. That should be plenty of power. Acceleration is no problem compared to cars like the Z06 or GT3RS for example, and many race cars too. But once the speeds go over approx 100mph, these other cars pull away from the Atom. Mine's a NA Honda K20 engine. Atoms are available with superchargers on this engine, making 300hp. Although this would be a pretty simple bolt on upgrade, since I'm not a fan of boosted engines, I plan to leave mine NA.

I don't think the gear ratios are the high speed problem, because I've got a 6 speed transmission, and never use 6th gear on track.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Let me know if you'd like to be bored with more details.

Belatti
Belatti

Re: Ariel Atom

Nice! I never get bored reading these kind of details :)

I think that if you are gonna make a really important aero improvement to your atom you´ll have to bear in mind a lot of suspension "items".

If you want to change the airflow underneath (diffuser was your initial question) you should change the airflow all arround the car. That might take sidepods, engine cover and other stuff, then your car will look like a two sitter Formula Ford. The engine cover could bring cooling problems. There will be added weight, too.

Then, to make the diffuser work, you need to reduce ride height drastically :arrow: thus the suspension "items" I was talking about. A way different ride height means a different suspension geometry and a stiffer suspension. Then your driving must also adapt to all these and that is the funny thing.

All these is very complex to make it work well together, car designers are not "improvised" persons, but if you dare to embark in these task, here there is a lot of people who would help you.

Check this page, apparently there are some aero kits for atoms...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1465875&page=6
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

dp35
dp35

^^ My car has the "aero kit" (wings) shown in the above photo, with different end plates. The cars in that photo also have clear side panels, which are supposed to help reduce drag. I'm going to be making some side panels for that reason.

Downforce is not really a high priority, but drag reduction is. Also, I don't want to make changes that will change the car's identity. With that in mind, I know its aerodynamics will never be great.

Another drag item that could be addressed is the fenders. They could be removed, but that can cause problems in terms of it being considered an "open wheel" car, which are not be allowed at some track days, time attack events, or on the street. But it seems like some louvers in the fenders would help reduce their drag. That's another future project.

Scotracer
Scotracer

I'm sorry to say that your car will never be as accelerative as a Porsche 911 GT3 RS or a Corvette above 100mph. The car just doesn't have enough power. Below 100mph (roughly) it is all about power/weight ratio and traction -- above that, it is mostly power to overcome drag (which rises exponentially).

So, with 245BHP you are never going to be as fast as a Porsche that has 400BHP, despite having a higher power/weight ratio.

To help the problem (also, this car is never going to have less drag than a GT3 RS) you could:

1) Cover up the wheels more
2) Cover up the sides so they have a smooth, homogeneous contour
3) Tune the engine (the K20 engine tunes very well and takes to Force induction particularly well :D)
4) Alter Final drive (you said you never reach 6th on the track so increasing final drive would give you more torque at the wheels)

Remember, when it comes to top speed and upper speeds, weight means very little (only slightly alters rolling resistance) -- it's all about power :)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

dp35
dp35

Scotracer wrote:this car is never going to have less drag than a GT3 RS
Of course not. I'd just like it to have less drag than an Ariel Atom.