Mercedes SLS

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".

Do you like it so far

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 82

modbaraban

Mercedes SLS

This car is being discussed for some time. But am I the first person to spot something that suspeciously looks like Le Mans style lights (indicating current podium position) on the sides? Is that just a bizarre piece of camouflage or an indication sportscar racing plans of someone who promised to never get back to Le Mans? :)

mmmmm

sebbe

Re: Mercedes SLS

I don't know about the car, but that avatar of yours is sick :lol:
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

joseff

You're reading too much into the camo... they're just vents. The car is supposed to have gills there like the SLR.

Giblet

The wrapping does a lot, but it looks like a camouflaged Honda S2000, that has gained some weight all around.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

casper

A little technical discussion about this car in this link,
http://www.dailytech.com/Mercedes+OKs+F ... e15717.htm

and rumors and gallery of test drive here, http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/07/16 ... -gullwing/

Scania

will it have electric problem?

deus1066

Its now official:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/M ... story.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoe ... ealed.html

Looks good, and I'm pleased its lighter and much cheaper than the SLR.

bhall

This car is gorgeous.

modbaraban

Presented the next day after the McLaren MP-12C. What a coincidence! :) This looks more and more like a divorce.

The numbers suggest that SLS isn't on par with the 458 and the MP4-12C, but who cares when it looks like that =P~ I bet it has a ton more character than the plasticy (spelling?) McSLR.
Last edited by modbaraban on 11 Sep 2009, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

tk421

modbaraban wrote: This looks more and more like a divorce.
I agree! And if it happens, I look forward to Mercedes making a move on Brawn...

About the SLS: it looks different, but it doesn't look good. I'm the type of person who (if given a great car collection) would actually drive my cars. That being said, I'd take the SLR any time, any where. Mercedes partnered with AMG make a good engine (SLS), but Mercedes partnered with McLaren make a great car (SLR). That's why I would take the SLR over the SLS 10 times out of 10 chances. And nearly nothing beats the throaty V-8 main course paired with the supercharger whine for dessert of the SLR!
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Shrek

did any body think it resembles a 1955 Gullwing without the doors swinging up?
Spencer

qw56q

Shrek wrote:did any body think it resembles a 1955 Gullwing without the doors swinging up?
yes and that because it was designed after it.

Giblet

I can't believe anyone could look at that car and not see sexiness.

It has a unique design, that apparently polarizes people. Love it or hate it. That is the sign of a good design. If anyone says "meh" it's a fail out of the box.

A car that looks that good in a still would look really nice being 3d with varying angles.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

RacingManiac

I think it looks striking....very much the modern 300 SL look, with similar kind of proportion and feature...

You know the new McLaren will be a better car, but I like the look of this more...

WhiteBlue

Shrek wrote:did any body think it resembles a 1955 Gullwing without the doors swinging up?
I bet they will do a gullwing version. The design cries for it. Just think about the free PR if it is compared to the 300 SL. It would be madness not to cash in on that. The car will probably be more profitable than the McLaren and perhaps a bit lower in price. Merc do not have to proove they have quality, reliability and brand image. That is taken for granted. McLaren need to chase performance to be unique and have a selling point. They also stayed very close to their F1 format to cash in on the image of the BMW powered supercar of the nineties.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 12 Sep 2009, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)