Ferrari 458 Italia

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
autogyro
autogyro

Re: Ferrari F458 Italia

747heavy wrote:=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

surely not the highpoint in their history, but not that long ago there where cars from a large OEM who catched fire duing refueling at a petrol station - these things happen.
asi is la vida

always easy to take a cheap shot out of your armchair
Sure is.
Its a hard industry.
The trouble with Ferrari is they deserve the cheap shots for their continual arrogance.

747heavy

marcush. wrote:I choose to deviate there 747 .
these things do not just happen...with validation tests before going into production and in the field testing galore basic things show up usually in the development cycle.
Then starts a risk assessment and someone decides if the risk is going to be high enough to swith on the red light and you have to erase the possible fault.
Of course being late in the timeplanning people tend to talk down possible issues but I highly doubt issues do not show in development sometime but reality is they get not traced up and solved as it would be necessary because of ignorance or whatever...I worked there I can assure you going through old documents has more than once shown a problem not popping up out of the blue but being ignored or downplayed or too lazy analised and not solved /validated as necessary when first appeared.
so something like a bonding material self igniting at normal engine compartment temps (Hot idle,heat soak condition).. thats´a joke really ....of course you need to specify your materials and have a safety margin on top of what you see in reality ..so having the man specifying the glue not knowing what underhood temps he´s going to see ..is ignorance and typical COP
(carryoverpart) mentality .It worked on the last car ..so it will work on the new ...that stile of approach will always present you with unpleasant surprises..
While I agree with what you say Marcus, it is not more a joke then a car catching fire during refueling.
I think we both know that recalls are common practice across the board in the automotive industry.
But not just there, as the old joke goes, we can be happy that Microsoft does not produces cars, fortunately for them it´s easier to upgrade a software product then a car.
Just imagine, you would need to take your computer to a dealer for every software update, and they would need to pay for that.
I´m quite sure they would be out of business by now.

Sure there is a reason for every fault and malfunction, I did not mean, that things just happen out of te blue.
But if you take the number of cars affected by this, and the speed with which they responded to the problem and how they did, I don´t think that it´s all that bad, if you compare it to Toyota floormat/sudden accl. problem, or the whole VW,SEAT/SKODA electrical window lifter saga, or Audi´s brake poblems with salt/wet winter road conditions.

I think, we know what is the underlying problem, the competition and cost savings at all costs mentality.
Sure the Ferrari fire is a very publicity prone event, but on a global scale and for automotive standards it´s a rather small scale event, if you see the number of cars involved, and the cost which are related to the ugrade.
I think Mercedes (Smart,A-Class) Toyota and Audi (TT Spoiler,ESP upgrade) would take it at any time, if compared to their stuff ups.
So I think it get´s blown a bit out of poportions.
And to take this as a argument to say Ferrai is a crap car/company, what autogyro seems to suggest, takes it a bit far IMHO.

Sure it was a engineering stuff up, and maybe somebody was hopeing to get away with it. But that´s not much different to what happens in any other large enterprise these days.
Last edited by 747heavy on 06 Sep 2010, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Pandamasque

For some reason people are prepared to pay above reasonable amounts of money for Italian cars, even despite many tiny niggles like overnight corrosion or spontaneous combustion. :)

PS: the topic name is wrong, there's no 'F' before '458'. They add 'F' only for every other mid-engined model, and then remove it again just to confuse everyone.

marcush.
marcush.

As 747h has mentioned ..these things happen als o with german premium sportscars.
of course less ppm ...but they happen.
I know from personal experience that it is very difficult to get things sorted in this environment when everyone tries to save the last penny..if that was important with the number of cars produced ..

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOU-dAVVdp0[/youtube]

I can't get the horrible 20 inch wheels out of my mind. They're so fugly! Every single car on the planet should have <19 inch IMO. But I suppose that because of the huge brakes anything smaller isn't possible, the clearance between the calipers and wheel is almost nil on this model.

As a side note, I just saw my first 458 on Monday and I have to say that it definitely passes the "looks" test. It had the darker version of the wheels in the video above, "race seats", and was black/beige.

And seeing how it had literally just gotten off of the transporter straight from New Jersey, I wonder if it has had the engine compartment vent recall done yet or not. I suppose not, but if that's the case the dealer should not have authorized the delivery right away.

The truck/lorry driver asked me if I was the owner and almost handed me the paperwork to sign. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Pandamasque

Re: Ferrari 458 Italia

ds.raikkonen

:lol: Clarkson mentioned in Top Gear that some glue in the wheel arches is the reason why the 458 catches fire during hot summer days :shock: Dunno how much of that is the truth!

I must say the MP4-12C's steering and interiors are better than the 458's. Much more neater and cleaner. Best bit is the fact that there are no buttons to fiddle with on the steering wheel, the i-pad like console handles pretty much everything. And, you can observe both the speed and the GPD at the same time, which is not possible in the 458. Dunno whether they ve taken care of that problem or not.
Last edited by Steven on 14 Jul 2011, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted pic which is in the post above
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Lurk

Absolutely true about the fire reason. They replaced the adhesive by mechanical fasteners.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11156782

Arterius
Arterius

When the Sat-Nav screen is used the speed is still displayed on the screen on the other side. This can be seen on the Top Gear review of the 458.

alelanza
alelanza

WhiteBlue wrote:This is the danger of using innovative technology and not use enough field testing. In the past you had the highest exhaust temperatures when the cars were running on full load. With direct injection and stratification this isn't the case any more. The engine goes very lean at low load conditions which drives exhaust temperatures up. In city traffic you also get starved ventilation of the engine compartment and this has probably caused the 458s to light up. Once the carbon body starts burning lustily the whole thing goes up in flames in minutes. I bet Ferrari will fix this one very quickly.
That's what radiators, fans and thermostats are for
Alejandro L.

wesley123
wesley123

alelanza wrote: That's what radiators, fans and thermostats are for
on an exhaust?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

alelanza
alelanza

Stupid me, i skipped over the thread too quickly and didn't notice he used the word exhaust several times.
But i guess that makes even less sense, it's not as if you your exhaust manifolds were rubbing against flammable bits, i doubt Ferrari would have forgotten those always run very hot. And the other hot bit, the cat outlet, will be cooler when the engine is running lean. So unless they chose to forget all humanity has learned about isolating/shielding exhaust systems, i can't see the point here.
Alejandro L.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Morteza

The spider version has been announced. I have to admit this is the most beautiful roadster car I've ever seen.

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wesley123
wesley123

I must say, it is a beauty. When I first saw the 458 Italia i thought it looks ugly, too wide and such, but the Spider is an absolute beauty
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender