Random Idea...

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
AZZAT
AZZAT

Random Idea...

Hi All
Last week a friend of mine took delivery of a Caterham 7 in Kit form, he has since set about trying to build it although with great difficulty, anyway this gave me an idea, are there any companies out there that assemble Kit Cars (for less than it would cost for the car already built) for people who have no DIY skills???...
I know it seems weird but was just thinking about it

Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: Random Idea...

Well you can buy a factory-built Caterham. In fact, most of the companies that sell the kits will build the car for you...but the premium is quite high.

And you don't learn anything when they build it :P
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Giblet
Giblet

One advantage of a prebuilt kit car is that they usually come with some kind of warranty on the build and parts to a degree.

If your home built one has a wheel fly off at speed, it's all on you and your deductible.

Often as well, if your friend has found himself over his head, a good portion of that is going to be tools that he needs to buy. Things that normal people don't have like torque wrenches and brake calliper pliers et cetera can add up quickly.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

johnny99
johnny99

What country is your friend based.

John

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

So your friend jumped head first into a project of which he has little to no knowledge about and the same amount of preparation?

Is the car still in pieces?

And being the pedant that I am, I have to say that this thread should have a more precise and descriptive title. The title should reflect the topic being discussed.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.