Autonomous Audi TT...

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
roost89
roost89

Autonomous Audi TT...

...is being designed to travel up Pikes Peak by itself.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArtic ... S8/244779/
What on earth? At least if it crashes, which it most probably will, there'll be fewer people at risk.

But if it works, it'd be oh so cool!
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Giblet
Giblet

Re: Autonomous Audi TT...

Autonomous would, I think, mean it could think for itself much like the DARPA competitors that need to navigate an environment from nothing but sensory stimuli.

I would assume that this Audi uses GPS and telemetry to keep it on course, and the autonomous part would be the small corrections needed to keep it on course.

It's AI would not be far removed from driver AI in racing sims I would think.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

roost89
roost89

Giblet wrote:I wouldhttp://www.f1technical.net/forum/posting.php?m ... 1&p=132219 assume that this Audi uses GPS and telemetry to keep it on course, and the autonomous part would be the small corrections needed to keep it on course.
I believe you are correct. I've managed to find more information: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/08/audi ... nomous-tt/

It states:
Sensors:
The Pikes Peak TTS utilizes an Applanix POS LV420 GPS and Inertial Measurement Unit to measure its position.
Just hope there isn;t a cloudy spell going up the hill, it'll send her off the road :lol:

This is a rather interesting task to say the least, getting a car up Pikes Peak, at race speed, is a challenge. Only relying on tech alone may prove to be very difficult doing the same thing
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

tarzoon

I guess the team will try to race the car at specific times to get the best signal, along with the rest of the sensors.

There was an episode of top gear where Jeremy Clarkson was driven around the track by a self-driven BMW. So I guess it's possible...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shnC_AbIi_0[/youtube]

WhiteBlue

roost89 wrote:Just hope there isn;t a cloudy spell going up the hill, it'll send her off the road :lol:
I would not think that clouds would impede the GPS timing signals any more than the inertial nav or cruise missiles had never found their way in cloudy places. I think that track geometry and traction variations would constitude a greater challenge to an autonomous high performance rally vehicle.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

A few years ago Stanford University designed an unmanned VW Touareg R5 to compete against other unmanned vehicles as well.
"This was the first time in history that a robot was able to accomplish such a long autonomous drive at such high speeds. It's a major step toward "smarter" vehicles," said Dr. Carlo Rummel, ERL executive director.
- Volkswagen Touareg R5 Featured In Smithsonian - Motor Trend
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

tarzoon

Those races still go on. I watched something the other day on discovery channel.

WhiteBlue

They will continue until the US Marines and the US army have fully automated unmanned combat vehicles.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:They will continue until the US Marines and the US army have fully automated unmanned combat vehicles.
and then the robot army will become aware, On that day the machines will win.

autogyro
autogyro

flynfrog wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:They will continue until the US Marines and the US army have fully automated unmanned combat vehicles.
and then the robot army will become aware, On that day the machines will win.
Then they could send them out to Iraq and Afghanistan and they could blow million dollar holes in the sand for no result just like they do now.
Pheeeef.

WhiteBlue

flynfrog wrote:...and then the robot army will become aware, On that day the machines will win.
....Skynet in the making and you are John Connor in disguise? :wink:

flynfrog

WhiteBlue wrote:
flynfrog wrote:...and then the robot army will become aware, On that day the machines will win.
....Skynet in the making and you are John Connor in disguise? :wink:
maybe :wtf: