What is Ferrari?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
xpensive

What is Ferrari?

I found something interesting on the web about Ferrari S.p.A, in 2008 they had revenues of 1921 MEUR and sold 6587 cars.
That's 292 000 EUR per car. A Ferrari is xpensive, but I think not that xpensive, where does the revenues come from?

Apart from this, if their F1 budget is (was) 300 MEUR annually, it means some 50 kEUR per car sold, does that make sense?
There are sponsors of course, but can someone xplain how all this works out financially, because I don't quite get it?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

bidong

Re: What is Ferrari?

it's the mafia.

Giblet

Put the Ferrari symbol on a hat, then sell that hat to every country in the world.

Now do this for just about any product, from license plate holders to branded laptops to ball caps.

As well Ferrari sell bespoke racing cars and even supply an entire series or two if I am not mistaken.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pandamasque

aftershave

in (fake?) CF bottles

Also it's heart and soul and passion, you know the drill. And mafia. Ferrari is everything, it turns out.

ISLAMATRON

mafia money for sure, thats why they didnt want the FIA or even any independent accounting agency near their books to implement a budget cap.

Belatti

About the revenues, you are missing the marketing as giblet pointed out and also other thigns like F1 clienti program were a lot of rich guys can go and drive themselves F1 cars for a couple of hundreths thousand euros or the collection cars auctions where they use to sell old jewels for a couple couples of millions each.

About the 300 million the F1 teams spents, I guess at least half of that is covered by sponsorship. And maybe some of the rest by "technical" partnerships.

For example: How much does Ferrari spents in brakes per year? And how much does Brembo charges for that? I mean, its a good publicity for Brembo to charge a lot less and say "we supply Ferrari"...

EDIT: and how much do you think they charged the guys in Abu Dhabi for the rights holding of the Ferrari theme park?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

tarzoon

ISLAMATRON wrote:mafia money for sure, thats why they didnt want the FIA or even any independent accounting agency near their books to implement a budget cap.
If FIA didn't know what's going on... :)
xpensive wrote:I found something interesting on the web about Ferrari S.p.A, in 2008 they had revenues of 1921 MEUR and sold 6587 cars.
and those 6587 cars need maintenance that doesn't cost the same as, say, a fiat punto. Besides, those 6587 cars came with one or two ashtrays or floor mats that cost over a fortune, and I really wonder how many of them were accounted for.

http://store.ferrari.com/en/

I could almost bet that those prancing horses would read "made in China" somewhere

bidong wrote:t's the mafia.
Financial engineering, if you don't mind!

qw56q

last time i checked which i will admit is along time ago so it might of changed Ferrari owns Fiat, Maserati, Lancai, and Alfa

xpensive

Belatti wrote: About the 300 million the F1 teams spents, I guess at least half of that is covered by sponsorship. And maybe some of the rest by "technical" partnerships.

For example: How much does Ferrari spents in brakes per year? And how much does Brembo charges for that? I mean, its a good publicity for Brembo to charge a lot less and say "we supply Ferrari"...
If Brembo's brakes are for free, it would only mean that the true cost of running the team is even higher than budget, no?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

tarzoon

xpensive wrote: If Brembo's brakes are for free, it would only mean that the true cost of running the team is even higher than budget, no?
Even if it doesn't cost the team, it is part of a honest budget. Even if it's offered, then it has a market price which will eventually be considered sponsorship. There is a trade there: brakes by a sticker or two.

Then again, Ferrari is italian, brembo is italian, Silvio is italian, I guess you know the business... :D

Richard

qw56q wrote:last time i checked which i will admit is along time ago so it might of changed Ferrari owns Fiat, Maserati, Lancai, and Alfa
I think that is the wrong way around, Fiat is the parent company.

autogyro

Ferrari is a pretty body shell over a skimpy chassis with a poor copy of Lotus suspension.
Good power train but built over complex to keep others hands off.
Cheap upholstery, with, in some cases abysmal door controls and switches.
Up until recently, fairly difficult to drive.
Oh and F1 Ferrari's, simply a way to spend money.

Giblet

You forgot masterfully hand built pieces of automotive art. There are too many intangibles, and everybody copies eachother, but Ferrari have innovated. Lotus just copied Daimler by using 4 wheels. They are a hollow marque for this reason.

OT Brit flail.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richard

The topic is "what is Ferrari" not "what is a Ferrari"

Belatti

richard_leeds wrote:The topic is "what is Ferrari" not "what is a Ferrari"
listen to this guy [-o<
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna