Circular Piston Engine---new engine design from taiwan

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".

mep

Re: Circular Piston Engine---new engine design from taiwan

I don't think this design is new.
Pneumatic motors and pumps with a very similar piston arrangement already exist.
The wankel principle is also similar just with less movable parts.
I am sure there are some good reasons why they don't build combustion engines like this.

Caito

I don't see how the explosion keeps rotating the "thing", care explain?

Thank you!

bye bye!
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Giblet

This is called a Swing Piston Engine I think.

Another concept I saw in the 80s was basically a regular engine, but bent into a circle so both ends were touching each other. Since a cam shaft no longer works when it is bent, the reciprocating action of the cylinders was achieved by a drum that had a profile of a sine wave around its circumference. This gave the up/down motion that the camshaft normally provided. the valves worked in the same way.

I used to be quite excited by this concept, but the lack of interest and no working prototype of note yet makes me wonder.

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

flynfrog

I would think that getting that thing to seal would be next to impossible

Giblet

I took a look at their site and apparently they just went though a peer review and have 30 days to address some things, one of them seals, then they are going to start building their diesel prototype.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Scania

flynfrog wrote:I would think that getting that thing to seal would be next to impossible
you talking for which engine?