Red Bull X1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
King Six
King Six

Re: Red Bull X1

richard_leeds wrote:It's a computer game, so the only "design" will be aesthetic to make the car look agressive. Then they simply turned the dial up to 11 on the performance parameters.

Oh, and a 1 hour photo op with Newey to give it some RB branding.
That's abit of an ignorant statement to make, you're just assuming they designed a car and then programmed 100% into everything. I doubt the GT engine works like that.

I know you're probably some old fashioned bloke, but that's no real excuse. Get with the times, man.

Pandamasque

King Six wrote:That's abit of an ignorant statement to make, you're just assuming they designed a car and then programmed 100% into everything. I doubt the GT engine works like that.

I know you're probably some old fashioned bloke, but that's no real excuse. Get with the times, man.
Eh? All driving simulator engines work like that. Or do you expect GT5 calculate aero in CFD in real time? There are very few bits where the graphics and physics have to correlate, mainly the positions of visible moving parts. Again that's for visual realism.
You can take the most sophisticated driving sim and program a van that drives exactly like RB6.

King Six
King Six

Pandamasque wrote:
King Six wrote:That's abit of an ignorant statement to make, you're just assuming they designed a car and then programmed 100% into everything. I doubt the GT engine works like that.

Eh? All driving simulator engines work like that. Or do you expect GT5 calculate aero in CFD in real time? There are very few bits where the graphics and physics have to correlate, mainly the positions of visible moving parts. Again that's for visual realism.
You can take the most sophisticated driving sim and program a van that drives exactly like RB6.
But obviously the car's been designed in the sense that it would be real, but just put into the game instead of actually being constructed. Just like they simulate the characteristics of other real cars to the best of their ability within the game. They base their simulation of real cars from real life data, obviously for this car there will be no real life data, but that doesn't mean they won't bother to calculate what it could be. It's all part of the design process.

Yes, they can program a Van to drive like the RB6. But that's besides the point, they've not done all of this just so Newey can design a car that they're going to program 'max attributes' for just so they can say it's the ultimate car, it'll be more scientific than that.

Like I said, certain people have very antiquated views regarding simulation and computing. It's rather amazing considering this is an F1 technical forum.

You don't even need to calculate CFD Aero in real time, you just need to understand how the aero effects the cars performance, with all the variables that go along with it, and simulate that instead. Same result.l

Pandamasque

I regard richard leeds's comment not retrograde but rather cynical. :wink:
And there's every chance that Newey's 'involvement' is nothing but a marketing exercise. We'll never know if Newey actually spent any time working on that virtual car. But it's obvious they could do without him.
I reckon that even with my limited knowledge if ISI physics engine (or actually physics :oops: ), it would take me about a day to program a car for rFactor that would lap Suzuka 20sec faster than F1. And I do not expect GT5 physics engine to be as sophisticated, so it's probably easier there. Whether that car could actually be built is another matter.

wrcsti
wrcsti

According to kaz and ferrari they just need some info on the car and feed it to an algorythm and it makes the handling for the car. Some cars like the GTR for example needed some extra tuning to get them right. I know a guy that owns a GTR and has GT5p and says it is as close as you can get to the real thing. I havent driven his car hard but from some medium driving it is pretty close. Now on a RWD car like a Z06 it also does a good job compared to my dads z06. As long as you know there is a limit and dont surpass it they are very realistic. Sims have a tough time after crossing the limit no matter what sim it is. Best one ive seen is LFS at that. I have tried iracing but not in a long time though.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

dedge
dedge

Red Bull X1, (Adrain Newey dream come true)

Hi everybody,

I just saw this news : Red Bull has revealled what the fastest car on earth could look like.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s ... ed-wspecs/

I let you take a look and comment the technical choices!

As far as I can see : closed cockpit, turbine for ground effect, small wings and enclosed wheels.
But where is the air inlet for the engine? Maybe an electrical driven car!

rich1701
rich1701

Re: Red Bull X1, (Adrain Newey dream come true)

It looks interesting to see what a updated 'fan car' would look like these days.

noname
noname

dedge wrote:But where is the air inlet for the engine?
there are two slots/intakes on the sides, similarly like in jet fighters.

mep

It even looks very nice,
not very common for a concept car. Seems like Newey really is better than all those ordinary designers.

GTO

Looks cool, but can't see the car very well due to the pics being so dark. :wtf: The screen shots are even darker, I can't see a dammed thing. What were they thinking? #-o

King Six
King Six

That's a slick looking beast.

I'd love to read a full technical rundown/article by Newey about this car. I bet it has buckets of interesting concepts right through it. It's a theoretical masterpiece

I'm still peeved that people are willing to dismiss this as complete fiction instead of an actual design/concept where real thought has been applied to it just because it's tied to Gran Turismo 5.

tommylommykins
tommylommykins

Is this really a true no-holds-barred design?

It looks very curent-f1 inspired, and we all know how convoluted F1 is: Take the positioning, and size of the wings, for example. They seem very similar to modern F1.

It has a rollbar, you don't need one of them if you don't care about safety (because safety doesn't actively make you go faster)

What about the sidepods? I thought they're generally as far forwards as they are on modern F1s for crash protection. If the implication is that they would put them back for speed, then they should be back on this car.

Why does it have lights? Is this so it can drive in the dark in gt5? Lights are heavy and take up space IRL. You wouldn't put them on a worldrecord car, F1s don't even have them

----

I guess this is a bit of advertising-fun for GT5: It doesn't look practical, or safe, or moneymaking enough to ever get built.

Why else would the article come with a section extolling the car's virtues in a consumer racing game? That fact doesn't mean anything, I'm sure it's not all that hard to make a really fast car in any game, just multiply the engine output by 10, and the tyre grip by 10. And there you go, lap record. The hardest part of the exercise by far should be making the sexy digital model of such a car.

----

Nice to see the CVT transmission though. It's a theoretical optimum for transmission, and something I'd like to see unbanned in F1.
Out of interest, was Newey at Williams when they tested their CVT car? Would that link (no matter how much real involvement Newey has had in this (probably none?)) be the reason that this car has one?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Its also supposed to have gas turbine, which would necessitate something like a CVT to keep the engine at some optimum rev and let the transmission do the varying speed thing....

I think its kinda of a grounded in reality kind of "no-holds-bar" design....

Richard
Richard

King Six wrote:Like I said, certain people have very antiquated views regarding simulation and computing. It's rather amazing considering this is an F1 technical forum.
You are right, this is a technical forum. That's why I'm calling this one as an exercise in aesthetics and PR, not a robust & viable technical design.

On a technical matter, a gas turbine with CVT is interesting. I wonder how the packaging would compare to current F1, and where are autogyro and xpensive to pull apart the virtues (or not) of CVT?