What's the difference of the worlds "knuckle"and "upright"?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
ysyy88
ysyy88

What's the difference of the worlds "knuckle"and "upright"?

As the title asked.

how to distinguish the two worlds?

this is a picture of peugeot 407.

which part is knuckle and which part is upright?

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

Re: What's the difference of the worlds "knuckle"and "uprigh

Well in work we machine the red component & we call it the "Knuckle"

But isn't an "Upright" & "Knuckle" the same thing ?

ysyy88
ysyy88

hollowBallistix wrote:Well in work we machine the red component & we call it the "Knuckle"

But isn't an "Upright" & "Knuckle" the same thing ?
Are they exactly the same thing?

So why there are two names?

Tim.Wright

Knuckle, upright and hub are often used interchangably. There many "definitions" of these parts all floating around on the net contradicting each other.

In that particular design (which is similar to the Revoknuckle from Ford), there is the unusual aspect that there are two components doing the job of the upright. In this case, for sure they are given different names.

In any other case - if you say hub or knuckle or upright, it wont matter. Everyone will know what are you are talking about.

I havent heard "upright" being used for this part very often outside of the motorsport industry. OEMs tend to call it a hub or knuckle

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Hub seems kinda strange since I always refer to the part that the wheel attaches to as hubs, which gets installed onto the upright/knuckle.

Tim.Wright

Yes, Ive also heard that referred to as the hub too. It can also be referred to as a spindle or axle.

Tim

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

RacingManiac wrote:Hub seems kinda strange since I always refer to the part that the wheel attaches to as hubs, which gets installed onto the upright/knuckle.
same understanding as me, we used to machine both the hubs & knuckles for the front suspension & also the carrier for the rear

peteskar

I think it all depends where in the world you are as to what it is called. I am a master guild Audi tech and we call it a knuckle in the manual, how ever a tech from England calls it an upright and all ways has. Yeah I all ways called the hub where the wheel attaches to if you go to a parts depot and ask for a hub thats what you will recieve.
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Tim.Wright wrote:Yes, Ive also heard that referred to as the hub too. It can also be referred to as a spindle or axle.

Tim
For me spindle is a part that hub might get installed onto, and the spindle is attached to the upright(does not spin, hub spins on it), but you can have spindle-less hub.

Axle is either the actual axle(for a car with live-axle) or half-shafts....

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

I tend to call short uprights (UCA inside wheel) knuckles, and tall ones spindles. Doubtless somewhere there is somebody who does the exact opposite.

I don't think upright is very common in the UK or Oz. Probably something to do with the beer.

xpensive
xpensive

Greg Locock wrote:I tend to call short uprights (UCA inside wheel) knuckles, and tall ones spindles. Doubtless somewhere there is somebody who does the exact opposite.

I don't think upright is very common in the UK or Oz. Probably something to do with the beer.
Interesting, it's "spindel" in swedish.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Tim.Wright

I always thought a spindle spins....

Pejeu
Pejeu

The red part is the steering knuckle. It may also be referred to as spindle.

The upright is the grey part (with slight blueish tint) connecting the lower and upper control arms (also called wishbones), in green.

Traditional double wishbone suspension doesn't have the upright. The two wishbones being instead connected directly by the steering knuckle (spindle).

In the case of the Peugeot 407 the steering knuckle mounts on the upright. They are distinct parts.

In the case of the Alfa Romeo 159 the upright and steering knuckle are one part.

The orage parts are the upper and lower pivots which allow the steering knuckle to rotate in the horizontal plane.