Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
yace

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

does someone know why there is a bubble there? it's on old exhausts position
ImageImageImage

mantikos
mantikos

yace wrote:Image

It was there last season as well, that is a bump for internal exhaust plumbing caused by the new cannon/RB style introduced later in the season

tjaeger
tjaeger

Hail22 wrote:This video confirms that the Mercedes is using the EBD.

1:25

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdUgxRqC ... re=related[/youtube]

Why would they even run the EBD. They are not to learn anything from it. Maybe the mapping of the engine is still running, but the exhausts point somewhere else. If they would be trying to do EBD that would be really a waste of time. cannot believe that.
You cannot engineer out stupidity.

Ferraripilot

Schurcedes wrote:Thanks! The front wing duct concept had completely slipped my mind.

Here is the quote from BBC's Lee McKenzie:
"As you know, Mercedes are the only top team here in Jerez who are running an old 2011 car. The word on the street is that the reason they are not here with a 2012 car is that they are trying to hide a clever new front wing they have developed - they don't want their rivals to see it too early. It seems the word is already out, though."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16941418

Admittedly not the most technical of sources, but if it's paddock rumour then it's something to go by.

The front wing f-duct has been talked about to death here, but it and the mercury system they are supposedly developing are intended to do one thing, which is they don't want to just beat their opponents, they want to crush them. That's the only reasoning I can think of behind Mercedes' massive infrastructure build-up with this team the past year.

But if you didn't know already, the front wing f-ducts purpose is to stall the wing after a certain pressure is realized. This of course reduces drag and yields a few more kph top speed.

I've found myself wondering if W03 will have a stepped high nose like RB/Ferrari or if they will have a lower yet very thin and wide nose (to maintain cross section standards) unit similar to Mclaren. A lower nose may be more beneficial for their f-duct

Ferraripilot

tjaeger wrote:Why would they even run the EBD. They are not to learn anything from it. Maybe the mapping of the engine is still running, but the exhausts point somewhere else. If they would be trying to do EBD that would be really a waste of time. cannot believe that.

They are running W02 in its final state from the '11 racing season as they have the most amount of running data in this configuration. Changing the configuration of the car in any way would make all the data acquired during the season useless for comparing and testing new tires right now. It's all about understand tires, testing the f-duct, and very possibly the mercury hydraulic system at the moment I believe. They can't change too much otherwise they might as well pull out W03 now as the information yielded from W02 would just not be relevant.

ced381

Ferraripilot wrote:They are running W02 in its final state from the '11 racing season as they have the most amount of running data in this configuration. Changing the configuration of the car in any way would make all the data acquired during the season useless for comparing and testing new tires right now. It's all about understand tires, testing the f-duct, and very possibly the mercury hydraulic system at the moment I believe. They can't change too much otherwise they might as well pull out W03 now as the information yielded from W02 would just not be relevant.
Is there any rock-solid source stating that they're running EBD??
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Hail22

Based upon times, testing as of the moment do you believe the W03 will have a similar nose to the Mclaren?

Exhaust system similar to the Ferrari/Red Bull?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

ced381 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:They are running W02 in its final state from the '11 racing season as they have the most amount of running data in this configuration. Changing the configuration of the car in any way would make all the data acquired during the season useless for comparing and testing new tires right now. It's all about understand tires, testing the f-duct, and very possibly the mercury hydraulic system at the moment I believe. They can't change too much otherwise they might as well pull out W03 now as the information yielded from W02 would just not be relevant.
Is there any rock-solid source stating that they're running EBD??
yes, Autosport said that the car was being run in FULL 2011 spec, as did James Allen

yace

mantikos wrote:
yace wrote:

It was there last season as well, that is a bump for internal exhaust plumbing caused by the new cannon/RB style introduced later in the season

thank you, i didn't remember that bump!
ImageImageImage

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

Hail22 wrote:Based upon times, testing as of the moment do you believe the W03 will have a similar nose to the Mclaren?

Since the W03 had the most highest nose last year i would guess that they would go for the step down nose. Mclaren have been running a lower nose and a lower chassis since 2010 and have a very good understanding of it whereas mercedes have been running a higher chassis from the W01 days (i am referring to the overall chassis height of the W01 and not the nose).

About the exhaust system i know that i am yapping over the same thing but Brawn had stated at the end of last year that with the current regulations it is still possible to blow the exhaust.. The exhaust positioning on the W03 will be something to watch out for...

Donuts

Hmm, reading about how much tedious work Ferrari has with a brand new car, makes me wonder if Mercedes is not making a big misstake in waiting for the next test to introduce the new car. Did'nt they do the same(misstake?) last year?
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Raptor22
Raptor22

Metalrulz wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Based upon times, testing as of the moment do you believe the W03 will have a similar nose to the Mclaren?

Since the W03 had the most highest nose last year i would guess that they would go for the step down nose. Mclaren have been running a lower nose and a lower chassis since 2010 and have a very good understanding of it whereas mercedes have been running a higher chassis from the W01 days (i am referring to the overall chassis height of the W01 and not the nose).

About the exhaust system i know that i am yapping over the same thing but Brawn had stated at the end of last year that with the current regulations it is still possible to blow the exhaust.. The exhaust positioning on the W03 will be something to watch out for...

Its always possible to blow the exhaust but why would you want to?
You'll burn your lips!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Taxi!!!
More could have been done.
David Purley

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

Raptor22 wrote:
Metalrulz wrote:

Its always possible to blow the exhaust but why would you want to?
You'll burn your lips!!

OOPS SORRY my bad .. i meant DIFFUSER AND NOT EXHAUST.. SORRY 1CE AGAIN..

BTW JET any news on the W03 teaser ?