Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
iichel
iichel

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

keep in mind that the lower one is JBs car and probably doesnt have the updated package, only alonsos car had the new package

vantage87
vantage87

mclaren111 wrote:Here is a nice picture of the new Front & Old Wing from the side:

http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/cach ... n-nose.jpg

The edges of Wing Flaps seems different to me - especially the middle one (they look higher/ bigger).

Another shots

lio007

The MP4-30 without engine cover...

vantage87
vantage87

From TecnicaFormula1.com (sorry for translate)

Aerodynamics

The talk of the paddock throughout the weekend was McLaren , who managed this week to pass the crash test of its new short nose, which, after many difficulties, we have seen in the day. As we can see in the picture below it it is very similar to Williams, which ostensibly reduces nose nose (no longer protrudes from the front wing but is far behind, is very short), while the media are a little more curved (1). Furthermore, the supports still with the function of channeling the airflow.

The idea is to improve air flow over the nose below, between the pillars supporting the front wing, to collect and direct low pressures without much interference-to the rear of the car, through the pontoons and the bottle Coca-Cola. Let's say this piece is to improve, with least resistance, the path that the airflow. Something that affects the entire drive and all its aerodynamics, hence the interest of the team to implement this bill.

Within this new aerodynamic package we found the floor in front of the rear with many improvements, original wheels, and not seen in the other teams. If this car had a good engine ... would dawn. The area L soil ahead of the rear wheels is normally used to work with them causing turbulence in their turn, and to deliver the cleanest air diffuser. So, we have seen a truly novel solution (1) with two rows of slot paired better make the air below the wheel. They are also improved two transverse cuts in the soil (2) in front of the wheels and has elongated vertical slot (3) which carries air to the diffuser preventing part of the airflow towards the wheel is lost.

As the diffuser itself, we could not find any kind of improvement over the last changes made ​​in Bahrain with respect to China and Malaysia. In any case, here we put all these developments comparing with that seen in Austria, within the few images there are, interestingly, the Woking team.

Where we have indeed seen a small intervention in the front wing, which last two flaps are redesigned to suit this track, presenting a lower level of downforce to get the lines of the Red Bull Ring.

The rear spoiler is the same seen so far, but with much more downforce level than in Canada, where it was much less important. Thus the planes thereof are concave and thus more air extraction capacity to generate low pressures below them.

Noted, finally, the use of a new material in the pipes of the radiators, at least on the right side of the car, as in the left we saw that used in Canada.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Yasuhisa Arai.

"I know we don't have good reliability but right now it is almost fixed," he said.
"In races something has happened every day but the major troubles are already fixed and over the second half of the season I expect we will have more progress. I think that we will catch up most of the top teams because we already have a plan to increase the horsepower, drivability and control system. We have already planned to apply that in the second half of the season,"
"After this weekend we will test more deeply and I hope we can make a more competitive car before Silverstone (next month),I hope after the summer (August) shutdown we will be more competitive. We will be more competitive every race -- race by race. Hungary, Spa, we will make improvements. Not slowly, very quick."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/ ... 21?rpc=401
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

I guess the only good thing we can take from the situation is that Alonso and the team have suggested the car updates were working.

I live in hope that the Honda and Renault PU's can get to at least Ferrari level, the sport needs it.

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

¿Rain in the tomorrow test?

McMrocks
McMrocks

PABLOEING wrote:¿Rain in the tomorrow test?
That's going to compromise the 14 laps until the Honda breaks down

diffuser

McMrocks wrote:
PABLOEING wrote:¿Rain in the tomorrow test?
Funny

They should change it to Wednesday, Thursday...70% or higher chances of rain for most of Tuesday.

diffuser

I hope they've hit bottom cause what happened in Austria was just terrible timing.

George-Jung
George-Jung

diffuser wrote:I hope they've hit bottom cause what happened in Austria was just terrible timing.
Can it get any worse?

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

McMrocks:
Glad to see you are still optimistic :wink: :wink:

mclaren111

PP at work:

As part of a larger upgrade of the area around the sidepod, that is likely to be tested in the post race test and be used at Silverstone, the bargeboards saw a minor revision. A slot was added to the rearward slope [1], whilst a new vane [2] hangs off the bargeboard, mirroring the floors geometry behind it. These changes will help to improve the performance of the airflow moving around the sidepods undercut and the floor.