McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

raymondu999 wrote:You mean kind of like a computer server's heatsink "fins?" Kind of like this concept:
These fins are used exactly when air flow is expected to be poor. On desktop heat sinks, where you can guarantee air flow by sticking a big 120mm fan in front of it, they instead use something much more similar to what you see in an F1 car's radiators – a succession of thin plates.

shelly
shelly

raymondu999 wrote:Ah! Now I get what you're saying! (I think). You think MP4-27 will feature basically that oversized Botox-ed "lip" of the sidepod and extend it to a full aerofoil?
Exactly. Now that would also mean the sidepod would begin a tac more rearward, and also the lower crash structures would be exposed and faired to form a leading edge device for the floor.

As far as cooling fins, I think any thin/sharp shape is prevented from th current rules
twitter: @armchair_aero

matt21

But they are "radiators" and not bodywork

shelly
shelly

This could be like the hole in the ddd not being a hole - but I think the rule applies to every solid part of the car

raymondu999

Would it not be classed as the radiator's bodywork?

And Shelly - that was a SLOT! Not a hole :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly
shelly

...and these are not the droids you're looking for...

Richard
Richard

raymondu999 wrote:And Shelly - that was a SLOT! Not a hole :P
The loophole wasn't slot/hole distinction. The loophole was in the words "when viewed from below". The hole was in the vertical step so couldn't be seen when viewed perpendicular to the reference plane.

Intego

Someone has made a drawing and posted it on another forum:

forum.Motorsport-Total.com

And what does Scarbs say?
@ScarbsF1 wrote:I can't see a source quoted for this idea, but its possible and legal
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

raymondu999

Yep; Scarbs said that in reply to my tweet I think :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Intego

Right, Sir! :wink:

Sadly this rumor turns circles, the only reference today is conni, but he/she (sorry, don't know) was near on the f-duct leak. So we just can speculate.

I thought about the new engine for 2014. Maybe it will be small enough to package this sidepod layout. But then why test it so early?

Can you guys imagine MCL will test two different approaches next february? (Is the homologation date still after winter testing?) Remember, this year MCL was smarter than Renault and brought different exhaust layouts to the tests ...
Last edited by Intego on 27 Sep 2011, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

beelsebob
beelsebob

Intego wrote:Someone has made a drawing and posted it on another forum:
@ScarbsF1 wrote:I can't see a source quoted for this idea, but its possible and legal
Note – the design as illustrated there certainly is not legal – the bottom of the car is not flat... That's relatively easy to tweak though (by making the bottom bit flat, or by adding a floor beneath it).

matt21

Intego wrote:Someone has made a drawing and posted it on another forum:

Remembers me of something

Richard
Richard

That’s a completely different approach to this year. It would focus on diverting air out to the sides, while this year has more emphasis on air over the top.

Also, the key to this year is putting the bulk of the radiators out of the way behind the front tyres.

We’ll just have to wait until February to see if they go for evolution (like RB and Ferari) or another “big idea” following on from the F duct, octopus, and U pods.

FrukostScones

nice drawing, but why 4 intakes, I thought the 26 was "overcooled"...

the jordan is 200cm wide
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Intego

Doesn't necessarily need to be 4 intakes, was the suggesting of the drawer. And surely the floor is missing.

I don't think that approach is that new when you look at their 90's contenders. Maybe it's a step back with current knowledge of smarter packaging and mandatory safety items.

It could become a rocket in fast turns and on straights. 8)