Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 am

This isn't specific to the W03, but for how many seasons are we going to see these noses? This isn't a good image for F1, so how long will it be before McLaren style noses are mandatory?
Websta

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 am

Websta wrote:This isn't specific to the W03, but for how many seasons are we going to see these noses? This isn't a good image for F1, so how long will it be before McLaren style noses are mandatory?

Hopefully due to sponsorship/event criticism they will only last for this year...its horrible!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve
Hail22

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:30 am

Gridlock wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:
Gridlock wrote:[I think the most intriguing part of the suspension arm/exhaust flow interaction, one that I alluded to in the RB thread, is that suspension arms move with speed relative to the exhaust.

Please expand on the significance.

Brian

I said it was intriguing, not significant. Generally I think exhaust treatment this year has been given way too much focus; it's not an EBD, it can't be used as an EBD curtain, and most damningly the clear intent (and therefore enforcement) of the rules is to make the exhaust plume as aerodynamically neutral as possible.

You are saying that as the speed of the car increases and hence the downforce - the suspension compresses, moving the A-arm into an upward position, whereby the exhaust is tuned to take advantange of the A-arm in this position? Makes sense. But then there comes the instance of body roll.. but it still should work as you want the more DF on the compressed side of the suspension.. so yes - very plausible if true.
"You can't change what happened. But you can still change what will happen.
Sebastian Vettel"
n smikle

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:47 am

Ganxxta wrote:but if the exhaust stay in the position this far forward, is it good for the power of the engine?

The fact is we have no factual information on how the engine is affected by all these exhaust configurations this or last year. I am sure there are compromises made to the exhaust for the benefit of better aero packaging and exhaust outlet positioning. Maybe you can model this compromise or maybe there are politics involved over what department holds the most power in a particular team.

Brian
hardingfv32

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 am

Gridlock wrote:most damningly the clear intent (and therefore enforcement) of the rules is to make the exhaust plume as aerodynamically neutral as possible.

Of coarse we can only get excited about what we can see on this forum or is rumored. We do tend to make too much of many things. Participate when you find it fun.

Also note that the exhaust rules were formulated by team engineers. They were not oblivious to some of the possible work arounds.

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hardingfv32

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:54 am

It looks like the MB has the Red Bull inboard undercuts on the front wing as well. Every other team only has those on the outside just under the endplates.
Ferraripilot

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:23 am

As with everyone else, I'm very pleased with the car. 6 hours is now a hell of a long wait! It'll be interesting to see if they have the strakes on the RW endplates & whether the RW is attached to the diffuser like the other top teams, come tomorrow or Melbourne. I know they introduced it in Monaco last season, but it seemed a bit rushed and then of course they stopped developing the car not long after.
Predator

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:24 am

Just a few hours and counting...

All there is to say:

http://youtu.be/eURy8NskhGM?t=1m10s
Cocles

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 am

Hmm.. can the thread make another 100 pages in those 6 hours? who is up for it?

You see...rumours in the paddock are Mercedes is using a double back staging turbo compounder to refuel the KERS in between downshifts at a rate of 100 milliseconds per parsec interval... This is obviously brushing the margins of the 2012 regulations! Article 3.98.100.abc.xyz.. states CLEARLY that such devices which harness energy using MERCURY phase precipitate fusion methods are not allowed within the volume of a vertical plane 100mm ahead of rear wheel center line 500mm above the refernce plane and behind the rear chassis template!
"You can't change what happened. But you can still change what will happen.
Sebastian Vettel"
n smikle

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:05 am

The big secret is inside the nostrils of that active nose. Peek far enough inside and you'll see a mercury capacitor-powered wormhole generator that kicks in when the car hits 88mph and propels them three seconds into the future, thereby leapfrogging every other car on track.
ArchAngel

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 am

If you look closely you can see something glowing...

Enhance...enhance...enhance...
Honda!
dren

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:07 am

Cocles wrote:Just a few hours and counting...

All there is to say:

http://youtu.be/eURy8NskhGM?t=1m10s

May this be followed by a houston...we have lift off with Ferrari Vs Mercedes Era returning!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve
Hail22

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:17 am

dren wrote:If you look closely you can see something glowing...

Enhance...enhance...enhance...

How are they getting 1.21 gigawatts? :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:12 am

This is what the Mercury system (if implemented...doubtful) this will be Adrian Neweys reply.

4 Hours til this thread is closed and replaced with the Mercedes W03 thread? (thats when the pit lane light goes green 8am GMT.

Gilles Villeneuve
Hail22

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:46 am

These are the possible directions that the Mercedes W03 thread will go based on the possible outcomes of the launch/test:

Launch (Although we have seen most of the car)

Mercedes unveil reveals very interesting looking parts: Mercedes will be a front runner.

Mercedes unveil confirms a fairly vanilla looking car - Mercedes are hiding something, the innovation is under the skin: Mercedes will be a front runner.

Test results

Mercedes top the test times: Mercedes will be a front runner.

Mercedes are in the middle or bottom of time sheets - Mercedes are sandbagging: Mercedes will be a front runner.
Websta

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development