Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: Mercedes GP W03

Beelsebob : Got any stats for that? I don't remember McMerc or FI having too many gearbox problems over recent years ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

dren

Yeah, it seemed like Williams was in the most trouble this year with gearbox issues.
Honda!

beelsebob
beelsebob

gridwalker wrote:Beelsebob : Got any stats for that? I don't remember McMerc or FI having too many gearbox problems over recent years ...
Last year LH had a gearbox failure in Hungary, Japan and Korea. They may have had more, I don't remember.
This year, Button's failed at Singapore, Hamilton had a failure in India, I seem to remember him having another one earlier in the season too but can't remember which race it was.

I can't think of any other top team who's had even one fail in the last two years, let alone 6.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:This year, Button's failed at Singapore, Hamilton had a failure in India
You mean more of something breaking rather than terminal failures? Button clocked the fastest lap in Singapore and was hounding Vettel down. Hamilton in India I honestly don't remember...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:This year, Button's failed at Singapore, Hamilton had a failure in India
You mean more of something breaking rather than terminal failures? Button clocked the fastest lap in Singapore and was hounding Vettel down. Hamilton in India I honestly don't remember...
Button's failed in P2 at Singapore, Hamilton's in P1 at india.

raymondu999

Oh you're talking of FP... forgot about those.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:Oh you're talking of FP... forgot about those.
Yep sorry, should have made that clear, the bottom line though is that McLaren's gearboxes are failing fairly commonly (on average one every 6ish races), that combined with the fact that their gearbox is on the large side would make me surprised if they weren't trying to do something with it even before they saw williams's thing.

Richard
Richard

I think the large McL box is because it was lifted up when they intended to route the exhaust under the box ... assuming there was any substance the rumours of a chamber there.

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:I think the large McL box is because it was lifted up when they intended to route the exhaust under the box ... assuming there was any substance the rumours of a chamber there.
We're a bit off topic for this thread, perhaps the last few posts could be moved to the MP4-27 thread? In the spirit of carrying on the discussion though; I don't think that's the only issue here – the MP4-25 had a big bulge in the same place. I'm pretty convinced that McLaren's gearbox is larger than most even without being lifted up for a hypothetical octopus.

Tyler
Tyler

Sorry to get off topic but it would be great if someone could start a thread comparing the different gearboxes - with some pics would be great! - thanks

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

elf341
elf341

Given that Bob Bell would have been the main designer of this car, why wouldn't we expect the WO3 to pay more than a passing resemblance to the R31?

Love child of the W02 and the R31? *shudder*

dren

I stated before, I think we should expect a stretched looking W02 for the W03.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Nope,

Expect something along the lines of the BGP001. Lower nose, loss of EBD etc.
More could have been done.
David Purley

elf341
elf341

I thought about that too, I wonder if we'll basically see this exhaust configuration: