Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

Where are your up-and-over exhausts on the F2012 mock up?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

That mockup is so hilariously over optimistic of how tightly they can package stuff. There is no way that they are gonna be able to shrink the sidepod volume that much.

italian
italian

On the last number of Autosprint an accurate analysis was published...
Unfortunately in these days in Italy there's a lorry drivers strike so newspaper and magazines don't arrive always.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

neilbah
neilbah

im no expert in the rules or suspension whatsoever but wondered if there was any way to do this? or any point..

amouzouris

neilbah wrote:Image

im no expert in the rules or suspension whatsoever but wondered if there was any way to do this? or any point..
the snow plow is mounted on the nose...far more forward than where the suspension links are...

neilbah
neilbah

i just wondered how far it could continue under the nose if at all.. Image if it has to be a continuous part from the nose? can the deflectors the teams put under the nose be load bearing? maybe this should be in the 2012 nose thread instead

shamikaze
shamikaze

imightbewrong wrote:That mockup is so hilariously over optimistic of how tightly they can package stuff. There is no way that they are gonna be able to shrink the sidepod volume that much.

Not only packaging optimistic but a nr of items are missing, like exhausts for one 8)

Muulka
Muulka

Anyone else remember the big fuss made about the wings we were going to see on the shark fin of the 2011 car, according to an Italian magazine?
I distinctly remember that that was rubbish...
I don't think that Ferrari would let anyone, particularly the press, see their car.
So, I'm calling bovine excriment on these pictures...
Cynical me :wink:

P.S: Disregard this if I'm wrong :P

beelsebob
beelsebob

Muulka wrote:Anyone else remember the big fuss made about the wings we were going to see on the shark fin of the 2011 car, according to an Italian magazine?
I don't think that Ferrari would let anyone, particularly the press, see their car.

Nope, I'm with you – I really can't see this happening. For one simple reason – it will aid front, not rear downforce, which is exactly what you don't need for a ballanced car next year.

italian
italian

I think that they can't invent all information they communicate, certainly their sketch not reflect the reality completely but they aren't totally fakes.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

shelly
shelly

@beelsebob: why do you think it would aid fornt downforce?

Probably the artist has desigend the crash structures too forward, maybe even out of their regulatory box
twitter: @armchair_aero

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Muulka wrote:Anyone else remember the big fuss made about the wings we were going to see on the shark fin of the 2011 car, according to an Italian magazine?

That was Marca that published it, and they are rubbish. And that was more of a "this could happen" scenario.

Piola (the one who drew this new 2012 "preview") has many connections and is often quite spot on. Before the unveiling last year he posted this article that was right in all accounts (push-rod, high nose, higher more horizontal sidepod entries):

I'm not saying the car will look exactly like this, but he is not as rubbish as Marca with their made-up car last year. (http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3269/f2011t.jpg)

jordangp

shamikaze wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:That mockup is so hilariously over optimistic of how tightly they can package stuff. There is no way that they are gonna be able to shrink the sidepod volume that much.

Not only packaging optimistic but a nr of items are missing, like exhausts for one 8)
This mockup was clearly done very quickly, all previous artist sketches, have shown the sidepods still much further forward than this mockup shows. evrything has been changed out of proportion, and really gives no insight.

FrukostScones

imightbewrong wrote:
That mockup is so hilariously over optimistic of how tightly they can package stuff. There is no way that they are gonna be able to shrink the sidepod volume that much.
that can't be true, because it is beautiful.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

Lol..

Ferrari are gonna need more then a fancy pair of 'sidepods canards' To be competative

A formula 1 car is not an aircraft..

Exhaust positioning, diffuser & sidepod packaging still key.