Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Couple of good detailed shots.

right click>view image

Richard
Richard

Interesting that they have only covered part of the brake duct with mesh. I wonder where the air in unprotected bit goes?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

richard_leeds wrote:Interesting that they have only covered part of the brake duct with mesh. I wonder where the air in unprotected bit goes?
Yeah I'm not sure why one part needs to be protected and the other doesn't.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

richard_leeds wrote:Interesting that they have only covered part of the brake duct with mesh. I wonder where the air in unprotected bit goes?
I figured the screened area feeds the disc with all those small holes. There would be no tolerance for foreign material. The axle bearing cooling has much larger slots.

Brian

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Looking at those shots it seems McLaren use a duct like the RB7 to feed the starter motor hole, but it's actually where some of some of the cooling air exits.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

foxivan
foxivan

guys do you know how many updates did Mclaren bring and used for this race weekend?

myurr
myurr

Did anyone else notice that there was some discolouration (browning) of the silver paintwork around the gills at the back of the car? Must be getting pretty hot near there - is that where the exhaust is being routed?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

myurr wrote:Did anyone else notice that there was some discolouration (browning) of the silver paintwork around the gills at the back of the car? Must be getting pretty hot near there - is that where the exhaust is being routed?
Indeed. Not usually seen from McLaren.

Great beam wing & monkey seat detail. Looks a little more complex than other teams.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I really want to know what that bump is on the beam wing. McLaren ran a big cover on it over winter and now it looks like there's still something under a bump on the beam wing. There's plenty of places to put things on the car so I'm not sure why they'd put it on an important aero part.

Unless it's just one of those reflections and I'm too tired to understand what's going on anymore.

forty-two

Owen.C93 wrote:I really want to know what that bump is on the beam wing. McLaren ran a big cover on it over winter and now it looks like there's still something under a bump on the beam wing. There's plenty of places to put things on the car so I'm not sure why they'd put it on an important aero part.

Unless it's just one of those reflections and I'm too tired to understand what's going on anymore.
Not entirely sure what you mean. Are we talking about in the middle of the beamwing, or halfway along each half?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Indeed. Not usually seen from McLaren.

[img]http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... 59.jpg[img]
Isn't it sort of BS that these teams are still joining their gills with a tiny slot to make it "one opening"? Surely this could just be agreed to be nonsensical since everyone is doing it?
Last edited by Richard on 22 Apr 2012, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from previous post

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

forty-two wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:I really want to know what that bump is on the beam wing. McLaren ran a big cover on it over winter and now it looks like there's still something under a bump on the beam wing. There's plenty of places to put things on the car so I'm not sure why they'd put it on an important aero part.

Not entirely sure what you mean. Are we talking about in the middle of the beamwing, or halfway along each half?
On the left hand side of the beam wing as if you were the driver.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

I know last week Sky said RB had put the DRS hydraulic "stuff"(??) into their beam wing & that the reasonsing behind it of course was for CoG gains. But it definitely looks like something is under it.

To the beam wing, I wonder what gains are had from having gaps from the crash structure to bottom of beam wing, then the slot in the beam wing(bottom of monkey seat)and how does that air play together. McLaren's monkey seat & beam wing a different than other teams, and just seems a little more complex to me.

Edit: @Owen I thought you meant the middle of the beam wing. It is an interesting bump/hump
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 22 Apr 2012, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

Owen.C93 wrote:
forty-two wrote:

On the left hand side of the beam wing as if you were the driver.
Could it be as simple as a slot, albeit warped, to make the beamwing in that section effectively a two element wing?

QLDriver
QLDriver

forty-two wrote:Isn't it sort of BS that these teams are still joining their gills with a tiny slot to make it "one opening"? Surely this could just be agreed to be nonsensical since everyone is doing it?
I was thinking the same thing, until I realised there's the law of unintended consequences with such things. If the regulation was relaxed to permit gills, it would have to be tightly written to prevent teams doing something unexpected.