Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

The traction is mostly supension and gearbox influenced.
Other cars that have less downforce and no fancy diffusers are launching out of corners waaay better than Mclaren.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

myurr
myurr

scarlet wrote:
Shrieker wrote:Hmm...Interesting take, but once they're on the throttle at corner exit, shouldn't that provide the necessary downforce ? I mean, throttle at corner exit = blowing, no ?
I'm talking slow corners with short apexes, not medium speed ones (with gradual exits). The traction issue's only really shown itself in Monaco and Bahrain, which have more short, tight corners than anywhere else so far. In those you have to have some traction to start to apply full throttle in the first place. Watch the Chinese Grand Prix, specifically the hairpin. The mp4-27 is great under breaking into the corner, but even on better tyres they seem to be slow coming out of the hairpin compared to the cars around them. Again, take this all with a pinch of salt, it could be down to the physical characteristics of the car.
Could it not just be a tuning issue with the positioning of the exhaust? We know the McLaren is supposed to be at its strongest in the high speed corners, perhaps the exhaust is just not finding its way to the right area at the rear of the car at very low speed when the deflection of the plume is at its smallest. Other cars maybe better in that situation but cannot get the positioning right at higher speed.

Lycoming
Lycoming

why would traction be gearbox influenced?

And would the may scarlet suggested even by legal? I believe the current regulations require you to effectively map throttle position with throttle response, which a trailing off effect would be in violation of.

scarlet
scarlet

myurr wrote:
scarlet wrote:
Shrieker wrote:Hmm...Interesting take, but once they're on the throttle at corner exit, shouldn't that provide the necessary downforce ? I mean, throttle at corner exit = blowing, no ?
I'm talking slow corners with short apexes, not medium speed ones (with gradual exits). The traction issue's only really shown itself in Monaco and Bahrain, which have more short, tight corners than anywhere else so far. In those you have to have some traction to start to apply full throttle in the first place. Watch the Chinese Grand Prix, specifically the hairpin. The mp4-27 is great under breaking into the corner, but even on better tyres they seem to be slow coming out of the hairpin compared to the cars around them. Again, take this all with a pinch of salt, it could be down to the physical characteristics of the car.
Could it not just be a tuning issue with the positioning of the exhaust? We know the McLaren is supposed to be at its strongest in the high speed corners, perhaps the exhaust is just not finding its way to the right area at the rear of the car at very low speed when the deflection of the plume is at its smallest. Other cars maybe better in that situation but cannot get the positioning right at higher speed.
Sure, but exhaust positioning doesn't really come into what the 'electronic trickery' could be. Of course the trickery might not have anything to do with creating the cars visible traction deficit.

Anyone else got any ideas what it could be?

myurr
myurr

scarlet wrote:Could it not just be a tuning issue with the positioning of the exhaust? We know the McLaren is supposed to be at its strongest in the high speed corners, perhaps the exhaust is just not finding its way to the right area at the rear of the car at very low speed when the deflection of the plume is at its smallest. Other cars maybe better in that situation but cannot get the positioning right at higher speed.
Sure, but exhaust positioning doesn't really come into what the 'electronic trickery' could be. Of course the trickery might not have anything to do with creating the cars visible traction deficit.

Anyone else got any ideas what it could be?[/quote]

If the rumour is true then you're looking in the wrong place. You need to find where Jenson is losing out to Lewis, not a place where both cars are struggling.

ell66
ell66

n smikle wrote:The traction is mostly supension and gearbox influenced.
Other cars that have less downforce and no fancy diffusers are launching out of corners waaay better than Mclaren.
I think you'll find it's a LOT more than just suspension and gearbox that influence traction.

I watched the live timing in monaco, lewis was only a tenth or so of the pace, problem was his tyres went off at the end of the first stint.

I dont think mclaren have a big disadvantage in traction at all, tyre wear maybe.

PlatinumZealot

Pirellis are Pirellis, what can you say.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Neno
Neno

n smikle wrote:Pirellis are Pirellis, what can you say.
it's offtopic, and admin can relocate this two posts.

only problem on this car are tyers. they work in some weird area temperature, and if your car even when have good aero and traction, without that temperature area car cannot extract performances, instead they losing it. opposite from what tyers need to be. realy big problem is that car in this case it's not important, you can have car from midfield and if car find performances on tyers, or tyers accept car behavior, that car become GP winner.

teams desperate trying like last few years find something to extract car perfomances, and i think they are in wrong way. they need to find something to extract tyers performances. only way to be consistant and win championship-.

FakeAlonso

Today in Montreal

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Looks like McLaren's low drag Montreal wing may once again be moving the little gurney from one side of the Monaco wing and putting it on the other.

Last edited by Owen.C93 on 07 Jun 2012, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Gridlock

It looks a little bit like the side pod strakes* might have a more pronounced curve/lean to them as well, but then this is the Reflectomobile at a funny angle so who knows.

Love the oil breather though, very hot rod.

*I mean the shark fins on top of the inlets

FakeAlonso

gray41

Any differences in the diffuser?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Diffuser looks the same. Interesting angle of the front wing.

Also I think this is McLaren related, but I was just wondering what the thing with the handle on is. Might just be a way to put on a replacement nut perhaps.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

This is a new FW on the '27 isn't it?