Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Cam

Is there a regulation or some other reason that would prevent them from allowing the driver to make that adjustment on the fly during a race?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

myurr
myurr

Cam wrote:Is there a regulation or some other reason that would prevent them from allowing the driver to make that adjustment on the fly during a race?
It would then fall under the moveable aerodynamics rules. They're allowed to make changes when the car is stationary in the pit lane but cannot make aerodynamic adjustments whilst the car is in motion.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

What an insanely clever piece of technology that is. So simple. It also goes a long way to explaining why the 27 might be better in Lewis' hands who seems to be able to generate more temperature in his brakes than Jenson.

bryanbrink
bryanbrink

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 am

mx_tifoso wrote::arrow: McLaren Adjustable Brake Duct

What an insanely clever piece of technology that is. So simple. It also goes a long way to explaining why the 27 might be better in Lewis' hands who seems to be able to generate more temperature in his brakes than Jenson.
If that was the case wouldn't McLaren simply be able to run Jenson's brake ducts with a slightly bigger opening than Lewis'?
I would have thought that the benefit of having them adjustable would allow for track conditions and driver style?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

bryanbrink wrote:
Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:47 am

mx_tifoso wrote::arrow: McLaren Adjustable Brake Duct

If that was the case wouldn't McLaren simply be able to run Jenson's brake ducts with a slightly bigger opening than Lewis'?
I would have thought that the benefit of having them adjustable would allow for track conditions and driver style?
I wouldn't be surprised if this is where they're running in to trouble. They can keep changing it to help him but actually it just changes the set-up for him so it's harder for him to understand how to use the tyres. It certainly explains why he reverted to a different back end to Lewis in Canada so he could run the 27 in a configuration where it was just him and the tyres. He proved in Melbourne that he knows exactly what to do with this rubber - it just seems that this innovation has thrown another variable into the mix that is clouding the issue. It would also explain why he isn't able to just copy lewis' set up as he apparently gets more heat in his brakes, uses the tyre differently. They probably require entirely different amounts of 'brake heat' going into the tyres than each other.

It's a really interesting idea that Mclaren are trying out - I'm sure they'll be working on a similar system for the front of the car as well and it'll be interesting to see what upgrades they bring to Valencia. I can't see them bringing a DDRS to a track where it doesn't seem that it would be much benefit but you never know.

PlatinumZealot

Melbourne is a different track and the competition, nor his teammate didn't understand the tyres at the time. If you look at the lap charts Button got those tyres into the working temperature straight away! His teammate took 7! Laps! to heat up the tyres!
The only thing that can affect Button's talent at managing tyres is Jenson Button's mind. Something is troubling him and its not the car. (Competition? Jessica cheating? Hamilton understanding the tyres now?)

All these things that make the car faster, new nose, new suspension (noticeable traction improvement in Canada! yay!), new splitters, brake ducts - are all being blamed for making Button under perform. A load of rubbish if you ask me! He is a World Champion, not some wet behind the ears rookie. Its all in his head.

Let us not stall the development of the car in response to his whinging because it won't solve Button's problems and it would just make things worse in the title fight.

Back on the brake duct. It is so simple I wonder why they took so long to invent it? Or was it because there was no crushing need for it before?

Anyway.. I hope it wasn't the only one that saw that the cars traction improved Massively in Canada!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

McLaren didn't even run the adjustable brake duct in at least Monaco and Canada, so those explanations are BS. It was spotted in Bahrain but wasn't really understood what it was until a little while later.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Lycoming
Lycoming

I disagree that something other than the car is troubling him. He's not that kind of person.

It is completely reasonable that the car can take steps forward, yet he can still be slower in it. Its rubbish to say that these upgrades are making him slower, but he obviously doesn't like the way the car is set up. We saw this last season, where every once in a while, he would have an off race where he doesn't find a balance to his liking in practice and he ends up having a crappy weekend. The guy is very sensitive to things like that. But I don't think there's any reason his race engineers can't change the situation. if the car feels different, which is not unexpected, then they (him and his engineers) need to adapt until they find a good fit.

I certainly don't think anybody intends to stall the car development because it is true that it is not the reason for his problems and doing so would accomplish nothing.

marcush.
marcush.

the MP4-27 in the hands of Hamilton and Button is a perfect example of how a cars setup and development can make the driver shine or look like an idiot.Button had a reputation for having an excellent handle on tyre usage yet he has no clue what went on in canada -the best race i have seen from him just a year ago....

strad

I thought it was something different because of this:
The team’s mechanics adjust the rear braking system in the pits with a screwdriver, the screw being located near the driver cockpit opening.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

strad wrote:I thought it was something different because of this:
The team’s mechanics adjust the rear braking system in the pits with a screwdriver, the screw being located near the driver cockpit opening.
No we already knew that.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

strad

Okay,,,but the brake duct screw as shown in the picture is a long way from the cockpit.
Thanks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Cable or hydraulic actuated from a remote location. No room for an extra mechanic near the wheel assembly during the pit stop.

I still do not see why it can not be adjusted 'on track'. This is a brake duct, not an aero device. As a brake duct mounted to the hub it is allowed to be moved.

Main benefit of warming the wheel: pressure gain or structure temperature?

Brian

Caito
Caito

hardingfv32 wrote: I still do not see why it can not be adjusted 'on track'. This is a brake duct, not an aero device. As a brake duct mounted to the hub it is allowed to be moved.
Because it would be moveable aerodynamics.
Scarbs Webpage wrote: As I explained in the article, adjusting by the driver while the car is moving is illegal, it contitutes a moveable aero device.
Come back 747, we miss you!!