Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nando
Nando

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Or pull rod in the Ferrari thread :D
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando
Nando

Adds nothing to the thread but i was bored and tried to do a similar thing to what Scarbs do.
Got bored pretty quickly though ;) Played with highlights/shadows for the first time as well, not to shabby.

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

alogoc
alogoc

It looked in Germany that traction out of turn 3 wasn't very good for 27,how will that translate to Hungaroring?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

raymondu999

Hungaroring is more about carrying speed through the turns rather than outright traction. Traction is important mostly in T2 and the last corner
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shrieker

I'd say the places terribly important traction wise are exit of T1, exit of the right/left slow chicane (T6 i think) and the penultimate corner. Others are more or less flowing corners where a lack traction likely won't raise it's ugly head.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Richard
Richard

Talk about the car please then there’ll not be tears when the inevitable moderation happens.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

As mentioned by Richard, the inevitable has happened and I've moved all of the recent posts discussing events from the German GP to the respective thread. Please do not use car threads for that. :wink:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Plutus

Coefficient wrote:
morefirejules08 wrote:So now McLaren are competitive again I guess all the talk of a stepped nose will disappear

No, stepped nose at Hungary! Guaranteed!

Just kidding btw! :lol:
However, the races with the stepped nose don't seem to have improved McLarens performance in relation to the other cars around them.
But I guess it is to late for them to remove it now, it would make them look silly and it may not work with the updates since Barcelona.

I havn't read anything on any updates for Hungary, has anyone else got some news?
"Failure is not falling down, it is not getting up again."

"Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: Fear of long words."

simieski
simieski

Updates indeed on the way for Hungary and others according to quotes on Autosport.com

"There are some more updates for Hungary," said sporting director Sam Michael. "We will definitely be bringing parts there and then to Spa.

"For Monza, we will probably just have Monza-specific parts and then [another upgrade] at Singapore. That's where we are at.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101464
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Plutus

simieski wrote:Updates indeed on the way for Hungary and others according to quotes on Autosport.com

"There are some more updates for Hungary," said sporting director Sam Michael. "We will definitely be bringing parts there and then to Spa.

"For Monza, we will probably just have Monza-specific parts and then [another upgrade] at Singapore. That's where we are at.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101464
Thanks, sounds promising.
I hope McLaren are able to improve their performance and challenge Red Bull and Ferrari for the title and make just as interesting as in 2010.
"Failure is not falling down, it is not getting up again."

"Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: Fear of long words."

CjC
CjC

There's been a few opinions that mclaren are lacking abit of traction, what could solve this problem? Is it a change of suspension set up/lay out? Plain old rear downforce? Or the drivability of the engine?
Just a fan's point of view

alogoc
alogoc

Shrieker wrote:I'd say the places terribly important traction wise are exit of T1, exit of the right/left slow chicane (T6 i think) and the penultimate corner. Others are more or less flowing corners where a lack traction likely won't raise it's ugly head.

so it's a bit in every sector! :D

very important on lap time!
THE F2012!

alogoc
alogoc

CjC wrote:There's been a few opinions that mclaren are lacking abit of traction, what could solve this problem? Is it a change of suspension set up/lay out? Plain old rear downforce? Or the drivability of the engine?
exhaust,rear suspension!

Ferrari solved it mostly whit exhaust!
THE F2012!

matt_b
matt_b

There's been a few opinions that mclaren are lacking abit of traction, what could solve this problem? Is it a change of suspension set up/lay out? Plain old rear downforce? Or the drivability of the engine?
Alteration of their engine maps :) Too late now though. They would need to make tweaks to the rear to make sure the tyres are bolted to the ground on exit, I would say a small change to the suspension as this could also help improve tyre durability.

Shakeman

matt_b wrote:I would say a small change to the suspension as this could also help improve tyre durability.
This is what I love about this forum, I get to rub shoulders with people who know more than the whole of McLaren's car development team.

I'd love to know what "small change" to the McLaren suspension would improve tyre durability? If this is a "small change" then can we ask why McLaren with all their computer models and knowledge lucked into the right setup?

Forgive the naivety of the question.