Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ing
ing

Re: Ferrari F2012

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Another look at the F2012

Wonder if that's the same exhaust configuration they've been running with just the ends changed? In an earlier post, I suggested that to do a proper McLaren style exhaust the end of the exhaust would have to be about 20" forward. Hopefully we'll see something similar this PM. Interesting that Sauber went the McLaren route as I expected Ferrarri to do: viewtopic.php?p=332290#p332290

raymondu999

This is already quite similar to the McLaren concept IMO
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Good shot of the extra turning vane on the floor directing air towards diffuser

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 01 May 2012, 15:08, edited 2 times in total.

f1316
f1316

So is it fair to say that what we're seeing today is the revised version of the launch exhaust, only with "channels" after the exhaust exit - much like, for example, the cuts in the Red Bull after the exhaust opening - and another chrome-coloured turning vane on the floor, both of which you are designed to channel the air into the desired area? That's my rudimentary summing up, but I'd like to know if it fits with the general observation.

A superficial, and extremely hasty, analysis would lead you to believe that it's working OK so far. The run on which Alonso set his fastest time would indicate that, at least, the exhaust isn't destroying the tyres over 11 laps, so that would at least show progress.

What I would like, and hope, to see is a completely alternative exhaust solution trialed tomorrow, with a direct comparison from today's running to, for example, a Sauber type solution. That would be extremely interesting.

ing
ing

raymondu999 wrote:This is already quite similar to the McLaren concept IMO
Yes, similar, but I think the exhaust exit plane needs to be farther forward to allow a more subtle angle (for more predictable or stable Coanda effect) of the ramp.

Also, I think the design (shape and length) of the trough, with its sharp edges, is important for creating a vortex sheet off the edges to further energize the downwash on the exhaust.

Not sure what the rules say about the shape of the rad exits so maybe the Acer duct will become an Acer bump with the rad exhaust at the back or sides of gearbox.

radosav
radosav

those front wing pylons are still positioned to make venturi effect, but do you guys think that maybe they made them flexible to reduce drag during high speed?

McMrocks
McMrocks

why there are heat sensors on the suspension? the exhaust points downward

radosav
radosav

McMrocks wrote:
no it doesn't, part of 'chasis' points downward, probably to point exhaust down due to coanda effect
Last edited by radosav on 01 May 2012, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

McMrocks wrote:
Just to see & make sure the exhaust isn't overheating the components. The exhaust will go towards the floor in the low-medium speed corners, but when the car gets to medium-high speed turns, it will rise to the area of which there are sensors.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
McMrocks wrote:
Just to see & make sure the exhaust isn't overheating the components. The exhaust will go towards the floor in the low-medium speed corners, but when the car gets to medium-high speed turns, it will rise to the area of which there are sensors.
ok. this shows how tricky it is to make a setup, because you maybe have more downforce when the exhaust goes to the floor (low speed corners) than in high speed corners when the exhaust blows on other parts

Chuckjr

It looks like the car is running much more rake. If Alonso was setting fast lap times with that much rake this early, would that point to improved sealing of the diffuser, or am I just wishful thinking?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Chuckjr wrote:It looks like the car is running much more rake. If Alonso was setting fast lap times with that much rake this early, would that point to improved sealing of the diffuser, or am I just wishful thinking?
We're not running too much rake, but haven't gotten the perfect picture yet to compare to Bahrain for instance.

Teechnical

So for today all we've seen is a slightly updated exhaust and rear floor. As well as a turning vane helping the flow towards the diffuser.
Is that correct?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

radosav
radosav

Teechnical

radosav wrote:http://photos.gpupdate.net/large/197626.jpg

is this ferrari's new wing?

Yeah apparently it's titled the downwash wing

I think that's new too^
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.