Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Ferrari F2012

ok -that´s true .
I was thinking about the nose bending down footage we seemed to observe last year..

sorry

Mui
Mui

elFranZ wrote:
Mui wrote:To me the Ferrari sidepods look like the ones on the Torro Rosso without the double floor. Could it be that physically internally the ferrari can't have an exit ala red bull, mclaren et al?
they are nowhere near to "similar", even without double floor.
Ah.. sorry about that I should have worded my statement more carefully. What I meant was that they both expel hot gasses through the backside of the sidepods.

godlameroso

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:New RW covered in Flo-Vis

edit: notice temp stickers towards bottom of endplate
There appears to be a fair amount of separation on the underside of the wing.
Saishū kōnā

amouzouris

I decided to do a complete review of all the exhaust different configurations Ferrari has tried so far...so with the help of my friend Crutial Xtreme who provided the photos, I made these drawings...

Jerez test:
In Jerez they first tested the launch configuration....which as we all know, unfortunately failed....
in this configuration ferrari was trying to use downwash from above the sidepods to direct the exhaust gases to the brake duct fins....

when they saw that it didnt work...they gave a shot at blowing the rear wing...
which was abandoned, probably because it gave very little performance gains...

they then tried to use the coanda effect in addition to the downwash to direct the exhaust gases to the diffuser...
as you can see here..the small extension was added in front of the lower part of the exhausts to take advantage of the coanda effect...
neither did this version work...

Barcelona test:

In Barcelona the brought yet another configuration...this time blowing at the beam wing...the exhaust needed to be deflected at a much lower angle so it was more predictable...ferrari used this configuration for the 1st 4 races f the season...

Mugello test:

On the first day at Mugello they tried this configuration...which featured a much longer extension in front of the lower part of the exhaust, which was described by many as a tongue, to try and deflect the exhaust gases to the diffuser again using the coanda effect and downwash but this time (believed) more effectively....additionally vanes were added on the floor to direct the exhaust gases...

On the third and final day of the Mugello test, ferrari brought new sidepods with the acer ducts almost completely gone...the goal of this configuration is to again blow the upgraded and now detached from the crash structure beam wing without blocking the flow to the rest of the beam wing as the original acer ducts did...

EDIT 2: I have removed the suspension parts and drive shafts to improve the visibility because it was looking too messy and no real detail could be shown

Larger upgrades will be brought in Barcelona next week which i believe will feature the newer sidepods with modified exhausts to deflect the exhaust plume at the diffuser....

EDIT: I'm sorry for the very long post...

alogoc
alogoc

I think they might take Merc. way! beamwing blowing but maybe add tubes or something to divert gases to diffusor!

maybe those are bigger upgrades Alonso mentions!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Chuckjr

Nice work. Well done. It's good to see a summation of Ferrari's efforts. Mapping out the course like this helps to see the logic of what they have attempted to accomplish. Thank you for taking the time.
Watching F1 since 1986.

amouzouris

Chuckjr wrote:Nice work. Well done. It's good to see a summation of Ferrari's efforts. Mapping out the course like this helps to see the logic of what they have attempted to accomplish. Thank you for taking the time.
u r welcome...!! i feel its my duty to share this stuff with u guys..

kebab
kebab

Nice work, thank you.

Hail22

Last edited by Hail22 on 04 May 2012, 23:58, edited 3 times in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Pierce89

Good Works Amouzouris =D> . The drawings are greatly appreciated. Forza Ferrari!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Hail22 wrote:Image
These are so lifelike! ;)
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Hail22

photo conversion for the win? ;)

I used a tool to make the definition of hidden/shadowed parts show up clearly to the naked eye of some of the forum users.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Sorry to break up the photo conversation. I've been looking over the pictures and thinking about the newest exhaust solution and the new brake duct fins.

Maybe Ferrari are using the exhaust gas to blow the brake duct fins? They're now much more aerodynamically efficient than before and when you look at the exhaust from the perfect angle you see that while they're pointing in one direction, the metal cups/protection is curved away from where they're pointing.

Now the vortex generators by the mirrors are producing a vortex. Both vorticies are rotating away from the driver(towards brake duct area) on their respective sides. These vorticies along with some downwash from the sidepods. Enough to direct towards BDF's and edge of RWEP's??

Right click>view image

Sorry for the crappy photoshop job. Not sure about this, just thinking out loud. Let me know what you think.

Edit: Original image so you can see without paint how the exhaust points one way, but the cups/protection curve and take the gasses away from inside towards the outside
Original Image

simieski
simieski

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:

Now the vortex generators by the mirrors are producing a vortex. Both vorticies are rotating away from the driver(towards brake duct area) on their respective sides. These vorticies along with some downwash from the sidepods. Enough to direct towards BDF's and edge of RWEP's??
Using a vortex thar far forward, using free stream air, to try and direct high energy exhaust gas a considerable distance aft seems a bit like taking a running f*&k at a rolling donut to my mind. I think for now Ferrari would be more concerned with getting a stable reliable platform as opposed to trying to be overly clever with the aft end blowing.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

simieski wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:

Using a vortex thar far forward, using free stream air, to try and direct high energy exhaust gas a considerable distance aft seems a bit like taking a running f*&k at a rolling donut to my mind. I think for now Ferrari would be more concerned with getting a stable reliable platform as opposed to trying to be overly clever with the aft end blowing.
I respect your opinion, but there are others who are more knowledgeable than myself, that don't see it as problem like you do. Granted the picture below is doing something different, it's the same principle.