Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

n smikle wrote:Could it be an air dam?

Ansys eat your heart out!

That's the sort of thing I had in mind with the hollow point analogy. Thanks N Smikle.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

tinvek
tinvek

forty-two wrote:
Ian P. wrote:
Just a little thought RE the apparent slot/vent on the nose hump, has anyone considered the aero characteristics of hollow point ammunition?

Such ammo might appear to have the aero characteristics of a house brick, but is actually pretty good. The trick apparently is that the area directly in front of the hollow point forms a sort of bubble of high pressure air, which is what then encounters the oncoming air first, making the effective nose of the projectile a rounded ball, which has much better aero.

Or am I way off the mark here?
For the bullet case, you are probably on target.
Unfortunately while F1 cars are fast, they are definitely sub-sonic. The bullet case is supersonic with considerably different flow characteristics. F1 cars also don't spin around their long axis at high rates (150K RPM).
Anyone taking wagers on how long before another one of these aero-slots shows up??
The pellet's shown (note, pellets not bullets) are for air weapons. These are absolutely subsonic, and depending upon the weapon firing them, are sometimes not too far away from F1 speeds.

For example some CO2 pistols achieve as little as 350 feet per second muzzle velocity, which is approximately 238 MPH. The speed of sound at sea level is 1,116 feet per second for comparison.

I'm not saying that this backs up the suggestion, rather that being subsonic is not a reason why this wouldn't work.

I do concede the point however regarding rotation. I don't know if that would have any bearing on the effectiveness or not. I understand that the rotation (imparted from rifling) is to make the projectile behave somewhat like a gyroscope and maintain it's attitude, but I suppose it could also play into the effectiveness or not of a hollow point RE aero.

i seem to recall ford making a similar claim for the grille on the mk2 granada and mk5 cortina, the slats were supposed to be designed so that at speed they built up an area of high preasure that effectively smoothed off the shape of the grill to something approaching that of the sierra

snorri788
snorri788

forty-two wrote:

There appears to be another smaller one just below the word "CASIO".

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

High res! right click>view image

munudeges
munudeges

Ansys eat your heart out!

Very clever.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Quite a large gap from the floor to the rear wheels near the diffuser.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Newey tells Racecar Engineering that the slot is for driver cooling. lol

raymondu999

From that angle the packaging actually looks fine to me :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

As I said earlier, I believe Red Bull are using the exhaust collector that Ferrari used last season & was spotted at the Young Driver test in Abu Dhabi. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Ferrari

RB8

munudeges
munudeges

I didn't think extra bits of piping was legal, but I could be wrong.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

That bulge is to direct hot air to the exit above the beam wing like last year most likely.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

she_spools_180
she_spools_180

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:As I said earlier, I believe Red Bull are using the exhaust collector that Ferrari used last season & was spotted at the Young Driver test in Abu Dhabi. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Ferrari

RB8

Could you please explain what the purpose of this type of extra pipe is? Is it hollow? Is it open on the end?

It just looks like a quarter wave resonator... but that would seem pointless unless they were going for the quietest car award...

Thanks in advance

EDIT: or point me to a thread that does?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

RB8 Diffuser

via FA

forty-two

I know somebody will shoot this down with a comment along the lines of "it's a perforated gurney" (which TBH I don't truly know what that means), but that looks for all the world like a second deck to me, where the gurney would otherwise be.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

forty-two wrote:I know somebody will shoot this down with a comment along the lines of "it's a perforated gurney" (which TBH I don't truly know what that means), but that looks for all the world like a second deck to me, where the gurney would otherwise be.
Here's an analysis.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/09/2 ... -analysis/

Diffuser looks similar to last year.