Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Owen.C93

Keep an eye out for new endplates.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme

Using the tunnel again/new exhaust

raymondu999

Looks like a lovechild of the McLaren style exhaust, Red Bull B-spec, and Sauber A-spec exhausts :wtf:

Preserves the ramp's "guiding" effect on the exhaust flow, while allows a bigger tunnel to reduce the choking. I wonder if Newey will ultimately concede defeat and copy the McLaren exhaust full out as all other teams have.

Any pictures of the exit point?

Was this Webber-only so far, or Vettel too?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Huntresa

That tunnel is split in to 2 seperate channels if im not seeing stuff again :P

beelsebob

Huntresa wrote:That tunnel is split in to 2 seperate channels if im not seeing stuff again :P
Looks like it, the front most channel has a much bigger intake now too.

Crucial_Xtreme

Up close view of the newer winglet at the rear. I think it first appeared in Monaco even though Sky acted as if it were brand new and only used today. Interesting hole in it no?

raymondu999

Huntresa wrote:That tunnel is split in to 2 seperate channels if im not seeing stuff again :P
I definitely see a strut of sorts. But I don't know whether or not it divides the entire tunnel - maybe it's just that? A support strut of sorts?
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Up close view of the newer winglet at the rear
Is that a ductless brake duct?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.

to me it´s a combo of Ferraris Acer ducts ,saubers ramp and Mclarens exhaust solution -combined with the original B-Spec of RB8 Bodywork....
From pure and simple lines in the last years Redbull has switched to trying a bit too much for my taste.. is this useful?

Ferari and RedBull seem to converge toa common sidepod methinks.

raymondu999

Agreed. It looks a lot like the Ferrari now. Just add a ramp.

And I also agree that sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Forza

I suppose the inner tunnel chanells air to the starter hole. It's interesting that they went to seperate air flow. It would be more precise but we shall see if it is more effective.

shelly

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/19114/ ... due-bracci

omnicorse reports that rbr have evolved the concept of driveshaft fairing by using the suspension arm and the trackrod to buid two partial farings and loophole around the rule that forbids closed fairings.

very interesting and in line with what was discussed in this thread in preseason. Also nice picture of the suspension arms.

Driveshaft fairing is a newey trademark since 1994. A circular rotating cylinder has an upwash effect, and its drag is around 1 order of magnitude greater than the drag of a faired cylinder of the same height.

@crucial: (as raymod has asked) is it a scoopless rear brake duct that I am seeing in your picture or the scoop is somewhere and I can not see it?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Crucial_Xtreme

shelly wrote:
@crucial: (as raymod has asked) is it a scoopless rear brake duct that I am seeing in your picture or the scoop is somewhere and I can not see it?
I think it's the angle of the picture and that it can't be seen. I can't seem them running no brake cooling.

raymondu999

I don't think scoopless means without cooling. Aren't Ferrari and Williams running scoopless nowadays?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think scoopless means without cooling. Aren't Ferrari and Williams running scoopless nowadays?
Yeah I misread Shelly's post. I know teams are using scoopless on the fronts, not sure about the rears.