Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

yes is exactly just beneath the renault text there is a bulk, that is feed from the front inlet or? and has it always been there

Owen.C93

f1rules wrote:yes is exactly just beneath the renault text there is a bulk, that is feed from the front inlet or? and has it always been there
Nothing to do with the front inlet, there are plenty of places to gather air elsewhere on the car I'm sure. As far as I'm aware that bulge grows depending on the temperature of the race weekend.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Robbobnob

Its simple aero, they are using the tunnels to increase the volume flow through the 'coke-bottle' of the car.
As others have stated it will increase the downforce produced by the diffuser in conjunction with the beam wing.

The more interesting aspect in my view is the Drive shaft fairing. I'll bet a pretty penny that underneath, the drive shaft is exposed exploiting the Magnus effect. Less drag and more downforce, a very nice work around of the driveshaft fairing rule.

On another note, Vettel was looking very planted during FP2, not to draw conclusions about the update package prematurely, but he certainly doesn't have a problem with the balance of the car.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Crucial_Xtreme

The RB8 has a new front wing, front suspension, sidepods, floor (with a very trick feature that will be explained in next week's AUTOSPORT magazine), exhaust and lower body profile.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... ark-horse/

Interested to see what this "trick floor" is..

FakeAlonso

Huntresa

So this floor seems to be working better or just working rather then compared to the other 2 or 3 tunnel versions?

Crucial_Xtreme

Red Bull's double-floor
One of Red Bull's technical trademarks is the refusal to abandon an idea just because it doesn't work at the first attempt.

At the beginning of the season, let us recall, they devised an underpass which separated the coke-bottle flow along the flanks of the sidepods, feeding the starter-motor slot and the top surface of the diffuser's trailing edge, from the exhaust-flow, sweeping down from the top of the sidepod. That didn't quite provide the type of handling consistency required, and the underpass was duly blocked off.

In Valencia, however, the RB8s have appeared with what amounts to a double-floor. Whereas the first iteration of the idea featured a short tunnel, the flow along the flanks of the sidepods now enters a sizeable duct, and does not re-emerge into the daylight until it reaches the trailing edge of the diffuser.
There seems to be some sort of separator just inside the duct inlet, so it may be that some of this internal flow is directed to the starter-motor slot. A photo from the rear, however, shows that at least some of this airflow exits under the beam wing (and in particular, under an aerodynamically profiled wishbone shroud), and connects up to the gurney flap on the trailing edge of the diffuser.
So is this a double-diffuser? Well, the point about a double-diffuser, I think, is that the inlet was in the floor, so it increased the mass-flow capacity of the entire underbody, accelerating the air quicker under the leading edge of the floor, increasing the low pressure peak there, as well as accentuating the low pressure peak(s) at the kick-up point of the diffuser(s).

In contrast, because the double-floor inlet on the RB8 is fed by the flow along the flanks of the sidepods, and because that flow is fed by the front-wing wake, it should be sucking the air faster over the front-wing. The double-floor duct will also presumably increase the flow-rate over the top of the diffuser, and the gurney-flap there; as long as the upper flow is faster than the diffuser flow, this will pull the air out of the diffuser slightly faster by virtue of the viscous forces.

So the double-floor should increase both front-wing downforce and underbody downforce. Very neat.

McCabism

McMrocks

they took a new front wing on and then vettel was 0.3 faster than the others :o
I mean they changed during q3 the fw...

Edit: Marko even said that they only changed the angle. It is forbidden to change the fw during Q

Huntresa

McMrocks wrote:they took a new front wing on and then vettel was 0.3 faster than the others :o

Edit: Marko even said that they only changed the angle. It is forbidden to change the fw during Q

Why would it be forbidden to change FW during Q ? Its after Q its forbidden up until the racestart.

McMrocks

Huntresa wrote:
McMrocks wrote:they took a new front wing on and then vettel was 0.3 faster than the others :o

Why would it be forbidden to change FW during Q ? Its after Q its forbidden up until the racestart.
Helmut Marko said it in the interview with RTL. I dont'T know if it is right. Webber had DRS problems

Neno

it was faster only, because others made the mistakes in q3, hamilton two or three lock ups, grosjean slide,... i still think grosjean have fastest car in Valencia, but silly little mistakes differ champion from rookie, and with so much difference between cars, even if they even, vettel win. also you must take into account that vettel is excellent qualifing driver, maybe the best of all drivers in grid, and that this is his track. :)

Joie de vivre

maybe they should lose cascades on FW, they would be even faster [/sarcasm]

marcush.

Marko said on RTL -they removed the wing to check it in FIAs fixture for angle of attack .It was reset to the position that was fixed for the Q and R ...so this implie there was something wrong with the settings .

flyboy2160

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Red Bull's double-floor
One of Red Bull's technical trademarks is the refusal to abandon an idea just because it doesn't work at the first attempt.

....... Very neat.

McCabism
i completely disagree. this sounds like rationionalism and a perpertual motion scheme.

what about the surface drag and interference losses in that duct? why do the pressure zones behind the tunnel act 'better' through that duct than they do through free stream air?

i'll stick with the simple answer: the tunnel keeps the lower sidepod air from messing up the ramp flow. if they didn't have a ramp, the whole coke bottle area would work better without a tunnel.

does anyone think those tunnels would be there if they didn't have the exhaust ramp?
Last edited by flyboy2160 on 23 Jun 2012, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

McMrocks

flyboy2160 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Red Bull's double-floor

....... Very neat.

McCabism
i completely disagree. this sounds like rationionalism and a perpertual motion scheme.

what about the surface drag and interference losses in that duct? why do the pressure zones behind the tunnel act 'better' through that duct than it does through free stream air?

i'll stick with the simple answer: the tunnel keeps the lower sidepod air from messing up the ramp flow. if they didn't have a ramp, the whole coke bottle area would work better without a tunnel.

does anyone think those tunnels would be there if they didn't have the exhaust ramp?
agree