Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

jz11 wrote:
jtc127 wrote:
I've made carbon parts out of 3 layers of twill and plain weave, none of them wrinkle/twist like that.
I second this, I also do some CF work, I haven't tried any elastomer additives to epoxy resin, but the rigid one shatters when bent/twisted past the limit, just as you see in nose cone crash test videos
I too have made cf parts and agree that it shatters before it deflects.

However bash plates are made for adventure motorcycles where Kevlar is used instead of cf. They don't shatter & in a discussion about them it was posted that nylon matting makes it even more impact resistant. (I am aware that Kevlar is a variation on the nylon polyamide polymer.) That nose may be Kevlar or nylon.

raymondu999

Somewhat relevant
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc0wFyCIDfE[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gandharva

Maybe we will see DRD with integrated DRS activator soon...

Intego

I don't think that RBR had a DRD tested at Barcelona I. It was rather evaluating different mechanics for the DRS.
Also from 24.02.2012:

"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

.poz
.poz

Intego wrote:So this nose damper thing again ... I put together some footage from the FPs and behold: not only the RB8 nose is swinging but also the ones from Toro Rosso, McLaren and Williams.
But they swing in a different way. RB FW changes aoa, like the now banned mclaren fw. Others FW just vibrate up and down.

gandharva

Intego wrote:I don't think that RBR had a DRD tested at Barcelona I. It was rather evaluating different mechanics for the DRS.
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Therefore next step could be DRD (like ABD) with integrated DRS activator (like Barcelona).

Intego

Ahem, obviously I didn't get that, sorry. :oops:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Intego

.poz wrote:But they swing in a different way. RB FW changes aoa, like the now banned mclaren fw. Others FW just vibrate up and down.
You can see others flexing in a similar way, more or less intensely. As bhallg2k wrote the drivers didn't do us the favour to give an exact comparison opportunity. :wink:

.poz
.poz

Intego wrote:
.poz wrote:But they swing in a different way. RB FW changes aoa, like the now banned mclaren fw. Others FW just vibrate up and down.
You can see others flexing in a similar way, more or less intensely. As bhallg2k wrote the drivers didn't do us the favour to give an exact comparison opportunity. :wink:
No. Look at 0.14 how the RB FW change the angle of FW an then at 0.31 how the Williams FW oscillate while the angle of FW remain the same.

BTW i think that those fast oscillation are not good for FW aerodynamics. IMHO RB FW has a double function:
it flex on high load (i.e on straight ) to lower drag
it vibrate on kerbs acting as a mass damper

.poz
.poz

Forza

F1 AbuDhabi YDT day 3 - RB8 again testing new DRD version
Image Image Image Image

bhall
bhall

.poz wrote:[...]

BTW i think that those fast oscillation are not good for FW aerodynamics. IMHO RB FW has a double function:
I agree. The aeroelasticity of the front wing allows it to deform under certain loads, i.e. on straights, to reduce drag, because it either flattens or reorients the end plates to better divert air around the front tires. We've seen this happen on their cars for years now.

I think the damping effect is just a natural extension of the research required to create material, a different carbon fiber layup or otherwise, that both bends predictably and passes Charlie Whiting's tests. In other words, once they figured out how the bend the wing, they looked around to see what else could be made better by being made to bend.

This is the strength that comes from having a "supplier" like Red Bull Technology.

raymondu999

Looks like the sidepod tunnels have been merged?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aral
aral

Funny. When I mentioned that the front wings were being used as mass dampers (and have been for a couple of years), i was shot down by a couple of posters. Glad to see that others are now coming around to the same theory.

Intego

.poz wrote:
Intego wrote:
No. Look at 0.14 how the RB FW change the angle of FW an then at 0.31 how the Williams FW oscillate while the angle of FW remain the same.

I never said RBR weren't developing controlled flexing and vibrating, I only said that others (not all others) bend, too. Therefore I agree with you all on this. I just didn't want to put the finger on RBR without looking how the other cars behave, that's all. Surely there's some more footage, but I only took this last GP for a comparison.
Whether flexing etc. is controlled or not is to evaluate on each car, but I can't do that from my couch expert point of view. O:)