Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Hail22 wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Actually, they can, and did, a couple of years ago.
The Scottsman speaks the truth, that concept won't make it past the FIA checks before FP1, otherwise Sauber can have last years wing they used at Melbourne and Macca/Ferrari can have holes in their floors ;)
Just to clarify – I don't believe the air going under the bridge is feeding the diffuser, and hence don't believe it is illegal. I do believe that it's exiting above the floor again, the tunnel is just there to get it to merge nicely with the flow over the side pod.

bhall
bhall

That's perfectly legal, because it's the aperture for the pull rod.

(A brilliant interpretation, I might add.)

agungn51

LoudHoward wrote:Not sure if it's just the lighting, but is this what is happening here?

" Many inventors achieve great success, because they treat inventing like a serious busines - Inventing is often the easy part; the trick is to know what needs to be invented "

bhall
bhall

F@%$!!!!

Gentlemen, the 2012 FIA Formula One World Constructors' Champion.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

beelsebob wrote:
Hail22 wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Actually, they can, and did, a couple of years ago.
The Scottsman speaks the truth, that concept won't make it past the FIA checks before FP1, otherwise Sauber can have last years wing they used at Melbourne and Macca/Ferrari can have holes in their floors ;)
Just to clarify – I don't believe the air going under the bridge is feeding the diffuser, and hence don't believe it is illegal. I do believe that it's exiting above the floor again, the tunnel is just there to get it to merge nicely with the flow over the side pod.
I'm not sure where else you think the air can go? The air under the bridge is going to stay close to the coke bottle & go directly over top of the diffuser through & over the gurney flap. The exhaust looks like it's heading towards brake ducts/seal the sides.

bhall
bhall

It doesn't matter where that air goes, fellas. The hole is the aperture for the pull rod, and it's totally legit.

beelsebob
beelsebob

agungn51 wrote:Image
I disagree with where the exhaust is going:
Last edited by Richard on 03 Mar 2012, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

gandharva

Seems RBR is routing cold air besides the sidepod, through this small tunnel and than this air stream gets sealed by exhaust gases. Could somebody please explain the physical advantage of this sulution?

Last edited by Richard on 03 Mar 2012, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

Timstr
Timstr

Slot closed here:

Last edited by Timstr on 03 Mar 2012, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

I have no idea why you guys think the exhaust is magically going to jump out of that channel and flow to the middle of the car... You don't think they designed it like that specifically to get it to flow off the edge of the side pod at all? Why would they not have a channel flowing down the side pod if that was where they wanted it to go ;)

Hail22

Possibly trying to find a way to compensate for losing EBD?

All i know is Webber isn't doing long stints as himself and vettel have been eating through the tyres.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

beelsebob
beelsebob

Timstr wrote:Slot closed here:

Optical illusion – that slot's open.

Hail22

beelsebob wrote:
Timstr wrote:Slot closed here:

[img]http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red ... 90.jpg[img]
Optical illusion – that slot's open.
Bloody hell i got it! that slot is feeding the starter hole look at the gap in the hole then the slot which is blowing/sucking air through...convenient eh?
Last edited by Hail22 on 03 Mar 2012, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

bhall
bhall

Christ, that's the starter hole.

amouzouris

bhallg2k wrote:Christ, that's the starter hole.
indeed it is the starter hole but i think it is possible the air is directed in there..they did it last year as well