Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:23 am

Raptor22 wrote:Do I spy an opening in the step of the floor just ahead of where the diffuser starts?

You shouldn't do. Merc use a double step floor just like Ferrari did a couple of years ago.
Owen.C93

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 pm

ced381 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
ced381 wrote:Does it have any link with the stuck DRS? I highly doubt broken hydraulics would stop the DRS from closing...

What makes you think that? The DRS actuator is almost certainly a hydraulic ram.

A broken hydraulic hose would let its oil out and the pressure would go down, letting the DRS take its low position.. No? I'm really not an expert, I'm speculating here. :oops:

or its a servo
snoop1050

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:22 am

i think i have read somewhere that the drs was mechanical blocked. So no hydraulics failure I suppose.
Th0R

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:26 am

Brawn said the problem for DRS faliure was in hydraulic coupling.
Forza

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Mercedes revised inboard wheel vane (note "r" shaped flow conditioner under brake duct inlet)

techF1LES

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:09 pm

that´s a big scoop compared with Williams and Ferrari... :evil:
marcush.

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 pm

More little vanes. I think the angle is making the sidepods look a little squarer as well.
Owen.C93

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 pm

No winglets
mantikos

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:32 pm

mantikos wrote:No winglets

Might just be that they havent changed FW since Canada, as in just shipped directly, cause this isnt a low df track so.
Huntresa

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Naw, that wing has clearly been repainted and sponsor logo has been placed on the winglet... it has been back to the factory so i'm expected to see it be ran at least in fp1.
Byronrhys

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:22 am

That's a very strange development if they are going to run with it.
Owen.C93

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:32 am

Just mentioned this on twitter but if you look at that Sidepod pic there is not only the vortex generator to look at. For some reason they have a chock of wood (that's what it looks like) jammed into the little duct next to the cockpit. Secondly they have a hole in the front face of the wing mirror. Pretty sure the mirror notch to the side profile is new too but need to check back over old pics when at the laptop later.
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images
Matt Somers

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:50 am

Matt Somers wrote:Just mentioned this on twitter but if you look at that Sidepod pic there is not only the vortex generator to look at. For some reason they have a chock of wood (that's what it looks like) jammed into the little duct next to the cockpit. Secondly they have a hole in the front face of the wing mirror. Pretty sure the mirror notch to the side profile is new too but need to check back over old pics when at the laptop later.

Might the wood in the side-of-cockpit-duct not merely be there to stop foreign objects entering? Or are you implying the duct is new? I think it was there before however...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...
NewtonMeter

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:23 am

It doesnt' look like wood to me, more like the contruction material exposed...ie honeycomb
- Axle
axle

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 am

Matt Somers wrote:Just mentioned this on twitter but if you look at that Sidepod pic there is not only the vortex generator to look at. For some reason they have a chock of wood (that's what it looks like) jammed into the little duct next to the cockpit. Secondly they have a hole in the front face of the wing mirror. Pretty sure the mirror notch to the side profile is new too but need to check back over old pics when at the laptop later.

I think that wood you see is just exposed gold lining to the monocoque. The hole in the mirror is for tyre temp.
Owen.C93

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development