Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall

Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

Oh, yes. It's that time again.

I think they're gonna tilt the --- out of the engine. Why, it might even be inverted to create a vacuum under the car as it draws in air.

Thoughts?

Teechnical

Re: Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

bhallg2k wrote:Oh, yes. It's that time again.

I think they're gonna tilt the --- out of the engine. Why, it might even be inverted to create a vacuum under the car as it draws in air.

Thoughts?

It's an evolution of the F2012, correct?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

wesley123

I'd asume it is, no reason to start from scratch again, certainly not with correlation problems/
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

adam2003

Do you think they will keep the pull rod at the front?

beelsebob

adam2003 wrote:Do you think they will keep the pull rod at the front?
They already said it's staying on the car, yes.

Gerhard Berger

do people think they will keep the unorthodox cooling system (vertical radiators and hot air exiting out of the sidepods)?

I think they big sidepods that resulted from this may have made development very difficult for the F2012.

adam2003

Gerhard Berger wrote:do people think they will keep the unorthodox cooling system (vertical radiators and hot air exiting out of the sidepods)?

I think they big sidepods that resulted from this may have made development very difficult for the F2012.
Yeah i think maybe they will change them. They need to have a tighter package on the rear to improve df/efficiency

McMrocks

beelsebob wrote:
This is the right way in my opinion. I think there are more advantages than disadvantages.

But I think they will change the cooling system to get more undercut. This would help the flow to the rear.

I hope that they make the wind tunnel work which is in my opinion the biggest Problem at Ferrari at the moment
Last edited by McMrocks on 25 Nov 2012, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob

McMrocks wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
This is the right way in my opinion. I think there are more advantages than disadvantages.
I'm not clear on exactly what the disadvantages are meant to be to be honest. It makes the airflow to the splitter slightly cleaner, and what's the downside?
But I think they will change the cooling system to get more undercut. This would help the flow to the rear.
Yeh, that cooling system always struck me as a bit weird, and a bit of a regression, I don't really get what's meant to be the advantage of it.

Redragon

McMrocks wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

Pull rod is to stay, also there were rumours on mid season that Mclaren might go on same direction next year.

McMrocks

beelsebob wrote: I'm not clear on exactly what the disadvantages are meant to be to be honest. It makes the airflow to the splitter slightly cleaner, and what's the downside?
I remember that I read an article which said that they have problems which the range of spring at cornering.
Don't kill me if I'm wrong ;)

bhall

beelsebob wrote:Yeh, that cooling system always struck me as a bit weird, and a bit of a regression, I don't really get what's meant to be the advantage of it.
The vertical radiators allowed the Coke bottle area of the car to be slimmer than it otherwise would have been with angled radiators, because the vertical layout enabled the team to use the smallest possible radiator surface area. The Type 056 V8 has high cooling requirements, though. So, the required width of the radiators, despite their overall smaller size, presented a problem in terms of packaging and aerodynamics.

McMrocks

bhallg2k wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Yeh, that cooling system always struck me as a bit weird, and a bit of a regression, I don't really get what's meant to be the advantage of it.
The vertical radiators allowed the Coke bottle area of the car to be slimmer than it otherwise would have been with angled radiators, because the vertical layout enabled the team to use the smallest possible radiator surface area. The Type 056 V8 has high cooling requirements, though. So, the required width of the radiators, despite their overall smaller size, presented a problem in terms of packaging and aerodynamics.
Maybe the F2012 wasn't designed for getting much air to the coke bottle. They where destroying the coke bottle shape through the acer ducts. I agree that the engine has high cooling requirements but we have seen at Torro Rosso that it is possible to make a big undercut... don't ask me if it was fast :lol: . But I really think that they will change the cooling system. But it is all speculation

stefan_

Different positioning for the radiators in order to slim down the bottom of the sidepods maybe?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

bhall

McMrocks wrote:Maybe the F2012 wasn't designed for getting much air to the coke bottle. They where destroying the coke bottle shape through the acer ducts.
[...]
Every car is designed to get as much air as possible to the Coke bottle. That's where downforce lives. They just thought the Acer ducts would perform similarly to Red Bull's ramp and tunnel design.