McLaren MP4-28 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Javert

McLaren MP4-28 (pre-launch speculation)

From the rumors, it seems a revolution rather than an evolution:

- should have front pull-rod (http://topsportracing.com/the-pull-rod- ... r-2013-car)

- stepped nose

- rear pull-rod like Red Bull, with the unified element

Nothing known about the exhaust system

astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: McLaren MP4-28 (pre-launch speculation)

will they really bother with going when a high nose now? I thought they were looking at that mid season when the pace dropped but they proved that performance can be gained elsewhere

Coefficient
Coefficient

astracrazy wrote:will they really bother with going when a high nose now? I thought they were looking at that mid season when the pace dropped but they proved that performance can be gained elsewhere
It will be naturally understeer biased to suit JB. I expect we will see the team develop an extreme version of the Coanda exhaust and an RB style tunnel system to evaluate in testing.

I hope to see Mclaren do some work on their gearbox too because they need a smaller one in order to make a stab at the tunnel system worthwhile.

JB didn't like the poor visibility when they tested the clip-on Hi Chassis simulator at Barcelona (couldn't think of a name for that so apologies) so he may have voted against it for 2013 but I suspect the design team will hold sway on that decision and JB will just have to get used to it. Perez could be at an advantage there.

I think they will have managed to shrink the cooling package down again and also the KERS Battery pack and CPU may lose a few grams.

The suspension developments will depend on what they do with the gearbox because the Ferrari Style front suspension might be a pointless headache if they can't get the rear aero configured to make it worthwhile.

A passive F duct or DDRS or whatever you want to call it will probably appear in testing and if anyone can get it to work they can but it won't be a massive game changer really in my opinion. It wouldn't have converted the Lotus into an RB or Macca beater had they got it working so I don't expect them to throw the kitchen sink at that technology.

I also expect their research into temperature responsive materials to start to make an appearance on the car in some form or other, perhaps in the brake cooling area?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

McMrocks
McMrocks

Coefficient wrote:I also expect their research into temperature responsive materials to start to make an appearance on the car in some form or other, perhaps in the brake cooling area?
I think they will try to do a "no-brake-duct" brake cooling like Williams has at the front

Intego

temperature responsive material for brake cooling/rim heating would be illegal:
Autosport: Formula 1 teams told trick brake systems are illegal

And can we again speculate about a jet fighter (no sidepods at all)? Would be awesome!
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

wesley123
wesley123

Intego wrote:temperature responsive material for brake cooling/rim heating would be illegal:

And can we again speculate about a jet fighter (no sidepods at all)? Would be awesome!
I will say it once again, Radiators are unable to fit in that. It might possibly fit, but then it would be on huuuge longtitudal angles moving it all over the length, which in turn would ruin internal aerodynamics as well as cooling. So even if it is possible to achieve, it wouldnt be better than a regular sidepod
McMrocks wrote:
Coefficient wrote:I also expect their research into temperature responsive materials to start to make an appearance on the car in some form or other, perhaps in the brake cooling area?
I think they will try to do a "no-brake-duct" brake cooling like Williams has at the front
Doubt it, Red Bull and McLaren seemed to run large brake ducts to either cool the brakes, or use such air to heat the rim, and by that the tire. I am quite sure that this, and tire knowledge arte linked together, therefore they ran them with fairly large brake ducts, and possibly do next year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

McMrocks
McMrocks

wesley123 wrote:
Doubt it, Red Bull and McLaren seemed to run large brake ducts to either cool the brakes, or use such air to heat the rim, and by that the tire. I am quite sure that this, and tire knowledge arte linked together, therefore they ran them with fairly large brake ducts, and possibly do next year.
Could be an explanation why the top teams didn't do this. =D>
Williams wasn't really faster with it hence I think it is not needed to build a competitive car.

What I'm hoping for too, is that McLaren makes the car shorter! If the car is shorter you can run a lower frontwing without getting a too high ride high at the rear.
Intego wrote:And can we again speculate about a jet fighter (no sidepods at all)? Would be awesome!
I think we saw the MP4-28 already in one of the Tooned films.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwERi-kcwlc

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

Yes they are likely going to have a stepped nose...

They are raising the whole cockpit...

Earlier in the season they were using a 'view tester' to test the visibility for the drivers with a high cockpit.

Just a refinement of what they have already... and research into the new front wing they have...

Like the RB7 into the RB8..

Bomber_Pilot

McMrocks wrote: Could be an explanation why the top teams didn't do this. =D>
Williams wasn't really faster with it hence I think it is not needed to build a competitive car.
Ferrari did it

turbof1

Luckily we aren't going to notice much of it due the panel. Probably it'll look better then the current nose.

How about passive systems? I don't know if mclaren did research in it, and I know it is difficult to make it work properly, but if you can get it to work it can give performance over the whole car wherever allowed to implement.
#AeroFrodo

myurr
myurr

turbof1 wrote:Luckily we aren't going to notice much of it due the panel. Probably it'll look better then the current nose.

How about passive systems? I don't know if mclaren did research in it, and I know it is difficult to make it work properly, but if you can get it to work it can give performance over the whole car wherever allowed to implement.
It won't be such an important item to have next season, as they'll only be allowed to use it in the 2 (on most tracks) DRS zones. So whilst shedding that drag may buy you a tenth, it may not be worth the aero time it takes to implement unless you have already optimised your car.

turbof1

myurr wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Luckily we aren't going to notice much of it due the panel. Probably it'll look better then the current nose.

It won't be such an important item to have next season, as they'll only be allowed to use it in the 2 (on most tracks) DRS zones. So whilst shedding that drag may buy you a tenth, it may not be worth the aero time it takes to implement unless you have already optimised your car.
No the passive systems are allowed everywhere. Remember it has nothing to do with DRS itself (despite being stubbornly called DDRS by many journalists).
#AeroFrodo

Intego

It's mostly called DRD (drag reduction device).
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Coefficient
Coefficient

Intego wrote:temperature responsive material for brake cooling/rim heating would be illegal:

No need to be facetious, its a genuine guess based on an article I read about the forthcoming Mclaren hypercar incorporating similar technology i.e. components that change shape at varying temperatures.

I believe it was Shelly that thought Mclaren were going to stick some wheels on a Harrier and race it, everyone else just discussed the possibility and in the main dismissed it as I recall.

Seeing as this is a "speculation" thread I don't see the need for smart arse comments when all we're trying to do is stimulate some conversation and get the ideas coming forward.

Coefficient
Coefficient

McMrocks wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Could be an explanation why the top teams didn't do this. =D>

What I'm hoping for too, is that McLaren makes the car shorter! If the car is shorter you can run a lower frontwing without getting a too high ride high at the rear.
Intego wrote:And can we again speculate about a jet fighter (no sidepods at all)? Would be awesome!
I think we saw the MP4-28 already in one of the Tooned films.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwERi-kcwlc
Short wheelbase is the wrong philosophy for the current regulations. They want the rake on the car because if they're running rake it means they are successfully sealing the diffuser from tyre squirt with the exhausts. A longer car will use the rake better than a shorter one, see W02.