Toro Rosso STR8 Ferrari (Pre-Launch Speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
N12ck

Toro Rosso STR8 Ferrari (Pre-Launch Speculation)

will the double floor be retained? myself I dont think it will for the following reasons:

due to the extensive use of the coanda effect for exhaust redirection by the other teams, my personal view is that the double floor cannot replicate this as well as other concepts, and therefore believe it will be dropped,

the final reason is this revolutionary concept doesnt seem to have brought the results, so maybe a more conventional design may be the answer
Last edited by Steven on 09 Jan 2013, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo in title
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123

Re: Torro Rosso STR8 Ferrari (Pre-Launch Speculation)

I think they will have a rather clean, but powerful design.

Didnt they sign James Key? Seeing what he did before with Sauber and FI they sure will make a jump, in the short time he was with previous teams they have made large gains, so I'd expect it here too.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Cam

I agree wesley123. TR struggled last year and while lots of people were pointing the fingers at the the new drivers, those in the know knew the car was the issue. Heck, Ricciardo even ranked number 9 on the AutoSport top ten drivers of 2012 - so they could see the drivers were punching well above their weight in that car.
So, the strength, I think, is the will and the ambition of everyone. On the weakness side, I think it's just still a team that's growing. There's no lack of effort from anyone, it just needs to be given direction. There's certainly some work to do on the aero side - and mechanical, for that matter - which is very clear, from a technical point of view. There's some pretty clear steps. Some of it takes time, some of it's fairly obvious for next year
Source

I haven't been able to find any credible ideas or directions they will take but you'd think they might take a few leaves from the sister team rather than start again. The real gains will be made in 2014 when they switch to Renault engines.

Does anyone here consider the double floor worth keeping or developing further?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

N12ck wrote:will the double floor be retained? myself I dont think it will for the following reasons:

due to the extensive use of the coanda effect for exhaust redirection by the other teams, my personal view is that the double floor cannot replicate this as well as other concepts, and therefore believe it will be dropped,

the final reason is this revolutionary concept doesnt seem to have brought the results, so maybe a more conventional design may be the answer
I think it will to be honest - for the simple reason that they probably still won't achieve much in 2013 (they could go 8th/9th in the constructors, but they won't be winning any titles any time soon) and that it makes no sense to spend so much R&D time and money on redrafting something that will be scrapped in a year (for the new aero changes)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

wasn't the new regs for for aero reverted back to 2012 regs? So there would still be some value in developing this years car? Or have I missed something in that thread?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

It turned out that the FIA was smoking something REALLY potent when they issued their press release :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Coefficient

STR8 = Sauberia Torro Rosso 8.

James Key has arrived so I would be very surprised to see him persist with the double floor concept when he was one a the few to see that the Ramp/Coanda was they way to go prior to season 2012 start. He probably has a very refined concept for that system stored in his head by now, it would be madness to throw it away to pursue a concept that has only every been theoretically good and limited in practical application.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

PlatinumZealot

Crap! I didn't see this thread! :wtf:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

variante

It's "Toro Rosso", BTW

stefan_

Re: Toro Rosso STR8 Ferrari (Pre-Launch Speculation)

Daniel Ricciardo ‏@danielricciardo

Big day with the team in Italy yesterday. Seat fit done. Cockpit is cute. Hopefully fast.
Well, at least we know that the cockpit is cute.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Neno

stefan_ wrote:

Big day with the team in Italy yesterday. Seat fit done. Cockpit is cute. Hopefully fast.
i dont know why he said "cute" when their car is "straight" (STR8), if car carrying "gay" name i wouldn't mind :roll:

KATO

stefan_ wrote:

"Cute cockpit" check okey mates we have it design complete wrap it up this is a done deal..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Randomness

Once again could someone embed this. Apparently the first peak at the STR8
Last edited by Richard on 24 Jan 2013, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Done. Simply put [img] before the link and [/img] after.