McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KingHamilton01

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

so far it seem`s that most people are agreed that McLaren need to comes to term`s with there suspension set-up and needs to change from an ageing front wing design design and go to a multi-element front wing to help aid airflow. I wonder how much there exhaust is affecting there performance and if there are going to consider tunnel and ramp instead? this article explain`s more about McLaren`s Exhaust design and how it`s different from the mp4-27

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/ ... itial.html
McLaren Mercedes

CjC
CjC

KingHamilton01 wrote:so far it seem`s that most people are agreed that McLaren need to comes to term`s with there suspension set-up and needs to change from an ageing front wing design design and go to a multi-element front wing to help aid airflow. I wonder how much there exhaust is affecting there performance and if there are going to consider tunnel and ramp instead? this article explain`s more about McLaren`s Exhaust design and how it`s different from the mp4-27

What an excellent link! So refreshing to hear an objective piece rather than an opinionated piece.
Seems to me that it fits in with what JB was saying as 'fundamtal changes are required' ie. a new front wing, a new beam wing, a new monkey seat, a new rear wing and a new exhaust/ side pod layout. I'm sure mclaren will solve it all eventually.

Not in relation to the link but in relation to the suspension debate, if mclaren need to change the angle of the suspension arms, could this be done mid-season under the homoglated chassis rules?
Just a fan's point of view

KingHamilton01

CjC wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:so far it seem`s that most people are agreed that McLaren need to comes to term`s with there suspension set-up and needs to change from an ageing front wing design design and go to a multi-element front wing to help aid airflow. I wonder how much there exhaust is affecting there performance and if there are going to consider tunnel and ramp instead? this article explain`s more about McLaren`s Exhaust design and how it`s different from the mp4-27

What an excellent link! So refreshing to hear an objective piece rather than an opinionated piece.
Seems to me that it fits in with what JB was saying as 'fundamtal changes are required' ie. a new front wing, a new beam wing, a new monkey seat, a new rear wing and a new exhaust/ side pod layout. I'm sure mclaren will solve it all eventually.

Not in relation to the link but in relation to the suspension debate, if mclaren need to change the angle of the suspension arms, could this be done mid-season under the homoglated chassis rules?
Would have to ask someone who has a good knowledge of the rules I think you can find them on the official F1 website, where the suspension and homoglate chasis are concerned.
McLaren Mercedes

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

CjC wrote:

That's a new car! Very disappointed by this, I was hoping big things would happen for JB this year, and they shot themselves in the foot.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I wouldn't pay much attention to the pull v push rod part of it though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Forza

F1 Malaysian GP - Friday FP - 22/3/2013

Click to enlarge
http://imgur.com/QzTYn20.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5cK2qmf.jpg

f1rules
f1rules

a thing i just don't understand either, last year the more aggressive undercut midways through the season made them extremely competitive, how on earth can you this year be less ambitious with less undercut, i clearly remembering Sam M praising that specific feature

CjC
CjC

JimClarkFan wrote:
CjC wrote:

That's a new car! Very disappointed by this, I was hoping big things would happen for JB this year, and they shot themselves in the foot.
Now we can't get too carried away just yet, it's only the beginning of the season but you can't hide from the fact that the car isn't as competitive as compared to this time last year, BUT I have to agree with you, seems to me that mclaren put alot of effort into the pull rod and high chassis then bolted on last years none chassis parts that have been optimised for a low chassis
Just a fan's point of view

Forza

F1 Malaysian GP - Friday FP - 22/3/2013

kebab
kebab

The car seems to have nice flow to the coke-bottle area which should mean good DF at the rear. Maybe the rear tire issue is mechanical related rather than aero!?

Coefficient
Coefficient

kebab wrote:The car seems to have nice flow to the coke-bottle area which should mean good DF at the rear. Maybe the rear tire issue is mechanical related rather than aero!?

The Diffuser ramp looks to be creating lift to me looking at the pressure change indicated by the flow vis when comparing the flow over the flat part of the floor and the flow over the ramped part to the rear.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

kebab
kebab

Coefficient wrote:
kebab wrote:The car seems to have nice flow to the coke-bottle area which should mean good DF at the rear. Maybe the rear tire issue is mechanical related rather than aero!?

The Diffuser ramp looks to be creating lift to me looking at the pressure change indicated by the flow vis when comparing the flow over the flat part of the floor and the flow over the ramped part to the rear.
You mean the part with less flowvis? If so I think it's where the exhaust gas hits the floor thus push the flowvis off the area

Coefficient
Coefficient

The area inboard of the strake just seems to be less attached which would have the net effect of creating lift in that area wouldn't it?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Maxion
Maxion

Coefficient wrote:The area inboard of the strake just seems to be less attached which would have the net effect of creating lift in that area wouldn't it?
That's just where the exhaust hits the floor.

ringo

Not in my opinion. The shoulder of the sidepod where the exhaust hangs over a bit is too rounded and too close to the floor.
That's where your lift could be coming from. They need a sidepod revision i think.
For Sure!!