Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Juzh

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

beelsebob wrote:
Huntresa wrote:I dont think its so much RB having better in high speed corners, but overall a better car if we had tyres that lasted 300 laps.
No --- – who wouldn't have a better car if the tyres magically lasted longer.
It's obvious red bull and mercedes chew their tyres much quicker than ferrari or lotus. It's also obvious that merc and red bull are the fastest cars in terms of pure pace (3-4 in poles) but can't maintain it for as long as ferrari and lotus. Hence it is a logical conclusion if tyres wouldn't degrade as fast, they'd be fastest troughout the race as well.

Cam

Juzh wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Huntresa wrote:I dont think its so much RB having better in high speed corners, but overall a better car if we had tyres that lasted 300 laps.
It's obvious red bull and mercedes chew their tyres much quicker than ferrari or lotus. It's also obvious that merc and red bull are the fastest cars in terms of pure pace (3-4 in poles) but can't maintain it for as long as ferrari and lotus. Hence it is a logical conclusion if tyres wouldn't degrade as fast, they'd be fastest troughout the race as well.
Perhaps Vettel + Malaysia + Bahrain + Canada = hole in theory? Monaco was very strong too if it wasn't for the silver bus.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

f1316
f1316

The point is not if their car is overall faster, but better in quick corners. From the - in my opinion flawed - notion that RB have 'way more' downforce than anyone else, you might expect they would be whilst in qualifying trim.

My point is that that they didn't seem to be better in the quick sections of Barcelona even in practice/qualifying.

I think the reason for this difference between RB5/6/7 and 8/9 is quite logically put down to exhaust configuration. Before rule change they could blow diffuser without damaging aero efficiency; now they''ve made a clear choice to go with something bulkier as the low speed performance gain outweighs their loss of aero efficiency..

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Thursday (27.06.2013)

via AMuS
Last edited by stefan_ on 27 Jun 2013, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

British GP -Thursday - 27/06/2013

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Pierce89

Juzh wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
What about the fact that if Ferrari and Lotus heated their tires up faster, they'd then qualify faster, which would put them alongside RBR & Merc.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

stefan_
stefan_

Last edited by stefan_ on 27 Jun 2013, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

Pierce89 wrote: What about the fact that if Ferrari and Lotus heated their tires up faster, they'd then qualify faster, which would put them alongside RBR & Merc.
40 degrees wasn't enough for ferrari to heat them up in bahrain or barcelona? I cant recall atm.

Pierce89

Juzh wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: What about the fact that if Ferrari and Lotus heated their tires up faster, they'd then qualify faster, which would put them alongside RBR & Merc.
40 degrees wasn't enough for ferrari to heat them up in bahrain or barcelona? I cant recall atm.
That's what they claimed, but obviously I don't really know if its the whole truth.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

So what's with the new exhaust? Ceramic?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

gandharva

Owen.C93 wrote:So what's with the new exhaust? Ceramic?
Ceramic coating.
Thermal barrier ceramic-coatings are becoming more common in automotive applications. They are specifically designed to reduce heat loss from engine exhaust system components including exhaust manifolds, turbocharger casings, exhaust headers, downpipes and tailpipes. This process is also known as "exhaust heat management". When used under-bonnet, these have the positive effect of reducing engine bay temperatures, therefore lessening the intake temperature.

Although most ceramic-coatings are applied to metallic parts directly related to the engine exhaust system, some new technology has been introduced that allows thermal barrier coatings to applied via plasma spray onto composite materials. This is now commonplace to find on high-performance automobiles and in various race series such as in Formula 1. As well as providing thermal protection, these coatings are also used to prevent physical degradation of the composite due to frictional processes. This is possible because the ceramic material bonds with the composite (instead of merely sticking on the surface with paint), therefore forming a tough coating that doesn't chip or flake easily.

Although thermal barrier coatings have been applied to the inside of exhaust systems, this has encountered problems due to the inability to prepare the internal surface prior to coating.

wunderkind
wunderkind

Zircotec?

Holm86

wunderkind wrote:Zircotec?
Most likely yes ...

The_Truth
The_Truth

I think the Zircotec solutions was used by Mercedes back in the 2011 season with the EBD, the WO2 was melting the rear-end of the car.