Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

F1 Malaysian GP - Saturday - 23/3/2013

Websta

What is the purpose of the flared/bulbous joint between the turning vane support and the side pod? I'm assuming it has to be aerodynamic?

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Websta wrote:What is the purpose of the flared/bulbous joint between the turning vane support and the side pod? I'm assuming it has to be aerodynamic?

http://i.imgur.com/ARfMjQJ.jpg
I posted a possible reason for the fillets around the red bull diffuser strakes (hope I posted the link correctly):

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 30#p418830

it's probably to reduce the interference drag at the junction of the vane and the side pod surface, like the fillets on the great spitfire! it could also just be a composite tooling preference. contrary to what is true with metals, a sharp corner is stronger in composites.

it looks like an assembly seam along the root of the vane, so they probably make them separately from the main side pod shell and bond/fasten them on later. unlike the turning vane root, which looks like it's made as part of the side pod shell.

flyboy steve

godlameroso

It's true, when you aim to design a car that gives high downforce in low to mid speed corners and low drag in high speed corners, the only way is with bodywork that changes shape, and influences the flow field at different speeds. There are a few areas in F1 where this is completely unregulated, this year's development and the next few will be dependent on furthering this concept.
Saishū kōnā

shelly
shelly

godlameroso wrote:It's true, when you aim to design a car that gives high downforce in low to mid speed corners and low drag in high speed corners, the only way is with bodywork that changes shape, and influences the flow field at different speeds. There are a few areas in F1 where this is completely unregulated, this year's development and the next few will be dependent on furthering this concept.
What areas are youreferring to? Afaik proor test now are on front wing, rear wing, rear flap, t-tray, rear floor in front of the wheels. that covers most interesting areas i think.

I see more potential in fludic switches and drd similar application: stalling the sidepods, the floor, "masking" the radiators etc. I am agreat admirer of flexy wings btw
twitter: @armchair_aero

Cocles

As far as sidepods are concerned, don't forget that the team as reported that they're working with an American company on some sort of new, radical cooling solution.
Last edited by Cocles on 24 Mar 2013, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

Ferraripilot

Cocles wrote:As far as sidepods are concerned, don't forget that the team as reported that they're working with an American company that some sort of new, radical cooling solution.

Have they said it's implemented already or they're working on it?

Mika1
Mika1

They are working on it, maybe they will use it in 2014. They would gain a lot with it, if I have to believe AMUS.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Ferraripilot

Any idea what American company it might be? This has me very curious

outer_bongolia

csponton wrote:Last week we had explained the operation of the interconnected suspension system which Mercedes calls FRIC (front and rear interactive control). The system is by no means a novelty in what was already used last season and h the characteristic that the suspension front and rear are connected and work in tandem.
http://www.omnicorse.it/img/articoli/ev ... i_fric.jpg
Thanks to the photo photo Effe 1 Tech you can see that the system is fully hydraulic and hoses that you see used to recharge the system before the vehicle starts to turn.
Good catch. F1.com has a very short article about that as well.
http://mobile.formula1.com/news/technical/2013/1050
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

AMG.Tzan

So Mercedes brings new turning vanes in Malaysia and they keep them all weekend long, so they seem to work well! The car looked very quick through the second dry stint as it was able to take to the Red Bulls! Really good performance from the W04 in the heat of Malaysia! So is it only the FRIC system making this big difference from last year??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Mika1
Mika1

AMG.Tzan wrote:So Mercedes brings new turning vanes in Malaysia and they keep them all weekend long, so they seem to work well! The car looked very quick through the second dry stint as it was able to take to the Red Bulls! Really good performance from the W04 in the heat of Malaysia! So is it only the FRIC system making this big difference from last year??
Don't forget the new-Coanda sytem and FW.

@Ferraripilot
I don't know, they didn't mention it in the AMUS article.

Nando
Nando

Now it´s time to push with updates if they want to keep this up.
Still quite far away from the Red Bull´s but looks very promising so far.

Hopefully we see a raft of updates for China.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Bredd
Bredd

Merc had good pace today and good traction and speed in the corners yet they seem to lack a little top speed. When hamilton did have his drs open on vettel he just didn't seem to get anywhere. Maybe get the passive drs working?

Mika1
Mika1

Nando wrote:Now it´s time to push with updates if they want to keep this up.
Still quite far away from the Red Bull´s but looks very promising so far.

Hopefully we see a raft of updates for China.
It would be time, they didn't bring a lot since testing. Three weeks until the next one, plenty of time to introduce a new package.