Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Anon123
Anon123

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

MercedesAMG wrote:According to Auto-Motor-Sport Mercedes will bring so new "aerodynamic components to add more downforce".
Did they elaborate? because I expect most teams to have found downforce over a 3 week break.

MercedesAMG
MercedesAMG

No, they haven't specified it. Only some "general statements" ...

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 91523.html

Ferraripilot

MB getting ever more serious with W04 as they have just posted for another CFD aero position: http://www.racestaff.com/job/383

The upgrade package in China and weekend performance should be a decent indicator of their potential to develope a car. They've had 3 weeks since the prior race, they knew more or less the capabilities of W04 compared to others. If they come good in China and perhaps get the jump on other big teams then I believe we can safely expect good things certainly from W05 but also from W04 for the remainder of the year if they keep on it.

I've stated this in the past, but F138 appears to be a very developed car compared to W04. F138 features double deck slotted gurney above the diff, 3 vertical strakes over the diff, a more complicated rear wing in general whilst W04 appears almost vanilla by comparison yet is as quick or quicker. I'm not saying F138 has hit a development ceiling, but I am saying it appears W04 has more room to develop than F138 or RB9 for that matter. Horner stated they themselves are at a point of diminishing returns, so I am of the opinion W04 is a stronger car fundamentally speaking and its point where it reaches a position of diminishing returns is greater than that of any car on the grid simply due to the pace they have kept with what appears to be a vanilla car by comparison.

As for upgrades in China, my guess is a diffuser and further upgrades to the front wing elements either in the form of cascades or outer element near the endplate development.

Mika1
Mika1

Ferraripilot wrote:MB getting ever more serious with W04 as they have just posted for another CFD aero position: http://www.racestaff.com/job/383

The upgrade package in China and weekend performance should be a decent indicator of their potential to develope a car. They've had 3 weeks since the prior race, they knew more or less the capabilities of W04 compared to others. If they come good in China and perhaps get the jump on other big teams then I believe we can safely expect good things certainly from W05 but also from W04 for the remainder of the year if they keep on it.

I've stated this in the past, but F138 appears to be a very developed car compared to W04. F138 features double deck slotted gurney above the diff, 3 vertical strakes over the diff, a more complicated rear wing in general whilst W04 appears almost vanilla by comparison yet is as quick or quicker. I'm not saying F138 has hit a development ceiling, but I am saying it appears W04 has more room to develop than F138 or RB9 for that matter. Horner stated they themselves are at a point of diminishing returns, so I am of the opinion W04 is a stronger car fundamentally speaking and its point where it reaches a position of diminishing returns is greater than that of any car on the grid simply due to the pace they have kept with what appears to be a vanilla car by comparison.

As for upgrades in China, my guess is a diffuser and further upgrades to the front wing elements either in the form of cascades or outer element near the endplate development.
Agreed, I haven't spotted big updates during the AUS/MAL GP, so I can't wait to see them in China. A bit more downforce and Mercedes have a very strong package imo.
The boss follows me on twitter.

PlatinumZealot

Ferraripilot wrote:MB getting ever more serious with W04 as they have just posted for another CFD aero position: http://www.racestaff.com/job/383

Agreed, I think it was a good investment in the FRIC suspension in the last two years because it is obvious by now that merc aero doesn't seem as maximised as the Bulls and Ferrari's so I think a good chunk of the speed is coming from the FRIC.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

BorisTheBlade

But one also has to consider that their cars stayed pretty vanilla throughout the last couple of seasons as well - not even counting the halted 2012 campain.

Mika1
Mika1

I have recorded the Sky F1 Show Ross Brawn interview: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyryam ... rview_auto

Very interesting.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Nando
Nando

Thanks mate, was a nice interview. Hoping they have a solid package and come out swinging in China.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

MercedesAMG
MercedesAMG

Ted Cravitz explains Mercedes W04 "Fric" suspension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLtiX2V39I

marcush.
marcush.

adaptive suspension systems are marketed and readily available -the real challenge is to substitute the (cheap)electronics with elaborate hydraulics control hardware .
http://www.zf.com/media/media/en/docume ... efrpkw.pdf

ringo

MercedesAMG wrote:Ted Cravitz explains Mercedes W04 "Fric" suspension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLtiX2V39I
Good video.
I feel Aldo Costa has reapplied the FRIC. Maybe in the past it was used for a certain goal, and now he may have applied to obtain different but more lap time effective characteristics.
For Sure!!

Richard
Richard

I've deleted 69 posts triggered by a fanciful claim to be able to predict the speed of the W04 at the next race.

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

richard_leeds wrote:I've deleted 69 posts triggered by a fanciful claim to be able to predict the speed of the W04 at the next race.
Wish I could upvote THIS

Coefficient
Coefficient

BorisTheBlade wrote:But one also has to consider that their cars stayed pretty vanilla throughout the last couple of seasons as well - not even counting the halted 2012 campain.
I think to be fair the team was spending more time and effort upgrading the factory and running a recruitment drive than they were on the car the last few years. Now they can turn their attention to attaining speed. Ross Brawn has been taking pain but I think he is on the brink of reaping the rewards as the team appears to be approaching something of a renaisance. Therefore, I expect a proper upgrade schedule to be pursued for W04.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

diego.liv
diego.liv

After pre-season tests, Hamilton said W04 had less downforce than MP4-27, if i recall well "A LOT" less.
During tests they had surely tried different set-ups, so the car they had been runnig at AUS/MAL (no matter what set-ups used) lacked the same amount of downforce, right?

My point is no matter what are the other teams' upgrades, find more and more downforce on the W04 and can't see why both drivers should be write off the title