Mercedes-Benz W196

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
madkanga

Mercedes-Benz W196

http://www.london24.com/news/quirky_lon ... _1_1983600

What a find with some fancy mod cons, Fuel Injection, Aluminum Body and Fangio's old motor to boot.

I bet this goes for more than 5 million and it would be great if we see it back on track. Safety car would be awsome!

Richard

Re: Mercedes-Benz W196

Wow! Well spotted, thank you

Cocles

Figure between 30-40 million for the car. I actually know the individual who got this car running again back in the 90s, I'll see if I can find out anything cool.

Here is this official link: http://www.bonhams.com/press_release/13161/

Gridlock

Find out if he still has the original fuel and oil lines, they might be worth something to the new owner :)

bhall

Cocles wrote:Figure between 30-40 million for the car.

[...]
Oh, I'd say that's just a tad optimistic.

Cocles

bhallg2k wrote:
Cocles wrote:Figure between 30-40 million for the car.

[...]
Oh, I'd say that's just a tad optimistic.
Bonhams is reportedly hoping for between 40-50 million. So my estimate was actually a bit conservative.

allstaruk08

Bonhams chairman Robert Brooks said: "This is my fifth decade in the business and it was the most exciting discovery that I've made. We've had a couple of cars that have made over £5 million and our thought is that this will exceed that."

think you might be exaggerating a little.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03 ... 03130.html

Cocles

allstaruk08 wrote:Bonhams chairman Robert Brooks said: "This is my fifth decade in the business and it was the most exciting discovery that I've made. We've had a couple of cars that have made over £5 million and our thought is that this will exceed that."

think you might be exaggerating a little.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03 ... 03130.html
I'm not getting my information from the press release. I'm getting my info from people who have connections with Mercedes-Benz and Bonhams.

EDIT: Wait, did you really just use an automotive article from the Huffington Post as your source?
Last edited by Cocles on 22 Mar 2013, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

Cocles

Alright, what I'm literally looking at is a private talk group for 300SL owners, which by extension includes a lot of people involved with Mercedes-Benz, auctions like this, and engineering types. One is the guy who restored this car back in the 90's. Another is the individual who brokered the sale of this car at one point. Etc. etc.

When I posted, a couple of them had posted estimated prices as well as what they claimed Bonham's was hoping for (which is supposedly as high as $40-$50 million).

One of them commented:
Bonhams are not publishing an estimate other than to say they expect it to 'comfortably' exceed their 'house record' for a car at auction, as the current management sold the Bugatti Royale when working at Christies in November 1987 for £5.5m.
Since my original posts, a lot of other informed individuals are throwing in their estimates. The car sold for $20 million in 1990, so I still feel comfortable guessing $30-$40 million in 2013. This puts me in the middle of the prices being suggested by the rest of the group.

Since it's a private talk group, I don't want to start copy/pasting full posts or giving names, but I don't see why I can't post some of the technical stuff, since this IS F1 Tech. ;) Feel free to PM me if you MUST have a name or two (or you have W196 that needs servicing).
...they had Castrol Company prepare a special fuel for the car, 92% 105 Octane gas, 5% ether, 2.5% nitro benzol, and .5% acetone. If the car is not run regularly, this fuel mix will gum up the engine. The engine was frozen when it reached the Cushways. Compression ratio is 13 to 1. The engine has very small valve clearance, and Mercedes loaned ... a special tool to adjust the valves, when they were done, they returned the tool to Mercedes. The engine has 4 camshafts, and 4 oil pumps, one pump for each camshaft, it has twin magnetos, 2 spark plugs per cylinder. The two spark plugs in each cylinder did not fire together, they alternated strokes so that 1 magneto would fire one plug in all 8 cylinders, and then the other magneto would fire the other 8 plugs, by alternating the magnetos it gave them time to recover. The engine took 42 litres of oil. Needless to say, the car is very complicated to maintain, especially if you are going to run it.

Harvey

I predict 50+mil. Considering just how rare this car is, and it's pedigree, why would it NOT sell for such a ridiculous amount?

How many of these are there out there? Bernie has one I know. Merc have both a runner and a static display in their museum I believe. Does Nick Mason have one (he seems to have everything else!) ? Jay Leno?

I've heard of rumours of a small cache of either these or the Auto Union Type-D being buried in Eastern Europe during the war so as to keep them from the approaching Soviet forces. Any one else heard these rumours..?

Cocles

How many of these are there out there? Bernie has one I know. Merc have both a runner and a static display in their museum I believe. Does Nick Mason have one (he seems to have everything else!) ? Jay Leno?
Only 1, and this is it. I don't know what Bernie has, but it's not a W196. :)
I've heard of rumours of a small cache of either these or the Auto Union Type-D being buried in Eastern Europe during the war so as to keep them from the approaching Soviet forces. Any one else heard these rumours..?
Yeah I heard this too. I think it was Auto Union too. Some Audi fan in Eastern Europe is on his way to buy a shovel right now. ;)

Gridlock

The "buried a bunch to avoid war" trope is so common across so many niches that I don't put faith in any of them. Take your pick from Burmese Spitfires, Auto Unions in a turnip field or my favourite, the Strategic Rail Reserve, hundreds of steam engines kept under a hill in case we needed something non-electric following a nuclear war.... That one drives trainspotters nuts.

This W196 will be bought by Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn and run at the Monaco Historic, to give them something to do in their plentiful spare time :twisted:

I drive a W202 AMG, which is 6 better, I'm off to Bonhams :D

FoxHound

5 mill or 50 who cares, not one of us can afford it. Does not detract from one of the defining F1 cars, ever.

I live in Hampshire, and a few clicks away from Beaulieu(20 mins brisk driving) and I have had the pleasure of seeing the W196 in the metal(not at beaulieu...but Goodwood festival of speed). The current curator of the Museum does recall a certain Mr
Mercedes donated the W196 to Beaulieu under no proviso other than it be kept "original". It was sold in 1990 for a then record £13 million quid(queen queens/pounds) to fund expansion.

So, given inflation and what not(not looking at the oil sheikhs or oligarchs amongst us), who...with taste will actually want to buy this car without wanting to flog it on?
My hope is that it reaches a loving home, icons like this deserve that much rather than being yielded as tools for profiteering.

No doubt the winning bidder will be "anonymous"...which translates as "synoymous" with "profiteering".
Sentiment....lets hope the dude that can buy this history actually gives a flying damn about what he actually bought.
JET set

Richard

FoxHound wrote:No doubt the winning bidder will be "anonymous"...which translates as "synoymous" with "profiteering".
Sentiment....lets hope the dude that can buy this history actually gives a flying damn about what he actually bought.
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Anonymous could also be discretion, not every rich person wants to flaunt their wealth.

Tim.Wright

Harvey wrote:Merc have both a runner and a static display in their museum I believe.
Knowing Mercedes, its probably a BAR01 painted silver
Not the engineer at Force India