Mercedes-Benz W196

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gridlock

Re: Mercedes-Benz W196

Tim.Wright wrote:
Knowing Mercedes, its probably a BAR01 painted silver
:lol:

I wonder whether M-B would buy it. Difficult to justify I guess, but I know if I bought it I'd want them on-board first*, you could earn a nice penny by letting them use it here and there I reckon. Plus they could keep it at Albert Speer Mercedes Uxbridge.

Might be a few years before it pays for itself though...

* Making jokes about Mercedes Benz World probably wouldn't help

Harvey
Harvey

Cocles wrote: I don't know what Bernie has, but it's not a W196. :)
Apologies. It's a W125 he has.

Maybe he'll snap up this one as well. He certainly fits the criteria of having enough money, having a strong enough interest in what it is and having a platform to potentially create a bit of income from it.

Gridlock

Bernie's collection is the obvious home, really. Although I'm sure there's other collections I/we don't know of that fit the bill too. Hopefully wherever it ends up we'll get to see it thrashed up Lord March's drive at some point.

FoxHound

richard_leeds wrote:
FoxHound wrote:No doubt the winning bidder will be "anonymous"...which translates as "synoymous" with "profiteering".
Sentiment....lets hope the dude that can buy this history actually gives a flying damn about what he actually bought.
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. Anonymous could also be discretion, not every rich person wants to flaunt their wealth.

Unsure?

Check the Southeby's listings, and then check the actual collectors from speculators. As with anything in a market driven world, it is the speculators who drive the price. Sure, you can have "collector's" who fit the bill...but 3/5 years from now these collectors turn to speculators who sell at the sniff of profit.
Even hallowed objects like a 250F, 250GTO or W196 are not immune to this force.

My conclusion is not conclusive. It is speculative, as nothing has happened yet. My point is, high value objects with iconic status usually end up in the hands of rich speculators.
If you want to deny this, I'm all ears.
JET set

Ferraripilot

$30m would not surprise me. Mercedes of this and earlier vintage have been setting auction records regularly as the recent auction at Amelia proved not to mention most of 2012. A number of heavy hitters on ferrarichat have piped in regarding W196 and have confidence it will make a substantial figure, but equal conjecture suggesting perhaps auction isn't the best venue for such a car.

For those who do not know what vintage Mercedes auction for, let me give you an idea from 2012: 1936 540K roadster von krieger special: $11.77m

On a scale of 'rare and important cars to Mercedes history' the above car is not even close to W196. W196 is *it*.

This car was donated by Daimler Benz way back, 1960s or 1970s, to the National Motor Museum in the UK, sat there until 1986 when they decided they needed money for extensions and new exhibits, so sold for UK 1 million (and why didnt they keep it, just 4 years later..........). Sold to the Bamford family and retained until 1990 apparently it was sold to Jacky Setton for some $20 million which was a then record for the most expensive car, not listed because it wasn't a public sale.
Anyways, several years go by, and in 2001 ish the car was sold to a German collector, Freddie Loh, who classic raced, nominally at the Monaco classics early 2000s. Finally it was reported to have sold 5 - 6 years ago to a middle eastern collector.............

It is the biggest of the big fish. And the story is one of selling at the right time.

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

Lewis Hamilton should buy it.

stefan_
stefan_

An amazing car with an amazing history.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrJtX54lFRc[/youtube]
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

The car has been sold today for 17.5 million £ at the auction held at Goodwood Festival of Speed.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

What is that shark-fin-shaped piece placed horizontally behind the wheel we see on many old race cars for ?

Ferraripilot

New world record at auction at just shy of $30m. Big fish indeed.

Cocles

Cocles wrote:Figure between 30-40 million for the car.
Called it.
Ferraripilot wrote:$30m would not surprise me.
Called it too.
bhallg2k wrote:Oh, I'd say that's just a tad optimistic.
allstaruk08 wrote:...think you might be exaggerating a little.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03 ... 03130.html
You were saying? So much for being condescending and quoting the Huffington Post. Cars that sold for $20 million in 1990 aren't going to sell for $5 million in 2013.

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

hahaha okay buddy calm down i was wrong i'll hold my hands up to that, good prediction :)

bhall
bhall

Cocles wrote:
Cocles wrote:Figure between 30-40 million for the car.
[...]
bhallg2k wrote:Oh, I'd say that's just a tad optimistic.
[...]

You were saying?
[...]
$29.6m is just a tad shy of $30m. I was right. :D

stefan_
stefan_

I just hope it ended up being owned by someone who really has a passion for the sport and really understands and appreciates the car's history.