Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

Ok.. here we go..

From what we know already:
the Mercedes Power Unit has RUMORED to have 100 more HP than it's rivals.
it's major components have already clocked over the required 5000km reliablility testing without failures
aero - unknown
mechanical/suspension - unknown
Last edited by MercAMGF1Fans on 03 Dec 2013, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

Holm86

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Speculation Thread

Remove the 100 hp thing.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Holm86 wrote:Remove the 100 hp thing.
ok.. it's a rumor..

Holm86

Rumors are okay if you have any sort of theory that can back it up. And nobody can say how this could be possible.

Otherwise ive heard it makes 20 tons of downforce standing still.

hollus

Holm, I read the same too. 20 tons while standing. Amazing how rumors spread!

To the point: I second the motion, rumors with common sense and/or source, please. Or I'll write here whatever you need to "hear somewhere".
Last edited by hollus on 03 Dec 2013, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Rivals, not enemies.

turbof1

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

Autosport claims that mercedes blocked a rule change for additional minimum weight:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111713

The implication is very interesting, being that they might have less difficulties reaching the minimum 690kg then the others. So Mercedes W05, perhaps lighter then the competition.

Might I also point out that the power unit isn't a mercedes W05 exclusive. Force India, Mclaren and Williams share the same one and thus if it has 100hp more, those teams will enjoy the same advantage. Therefore rumors about the engine should go to the 2014 engine thread, unless it applies exclusively to the W05.
#AeroFrodo

geraldix
geraldix

You won't believe your own eyes reading this, but I heard the W05 will be full of ellipses, radiis, constant radius arches and what not. It will be a blast, and you got to know it first HERE, in my post!

Anon123
Anon123

turbof1 wrote:Autosport claims that mercedes blocked a rule change for additional minimum weight:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111713

The implication is very interesting, being that they might have less difficulties reaching the minimum 690kg then the others. So Mercedes W05, perhaps lighter then the competition.

Might I also point out that the power unit isn't a mercedes W05 exclusive. Force India, Mclaren and Williams share the same one and thus if it has 100hp more, those teams will enjoy the same advantage. Therefore rumors about the engine should go to the 2014 engine thread, unless it applies exclusively to the W05.
Probably to do with the weight of the ERS battery, I think I heard Ted Kravitz mention Mercedes KERS battery is tiny. Also there were rumours in one of the old Merc threads that Mercedes have been developing a radiator which is 30% lighter with the help of an American company.
Last edited by Anon123 on 03 Dec 2013, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.

Bredd
Bredd

To me this feels like a perfect storm for Mercedes. Every rumor you hear sounds like Mercedes have got something decent. They had a very good v10 and v8 engine and I am pretty sure it is going to continue into the v6 era. They have sorted the chassis and aero departments out. The pirelli test in december and the earlier test in spain means hopefully they should have a handle on the tyres. With this kind of amount of rumors there is normally not smoke without fire, I remember betting on button to win 2009 wdc even when the odds where outrageous because things were looking like they were not going to have a team just because every rumor going said Brawn had a monster on his hands. The extra $10m from finishing second will help development and maybe increase daimlers desire to invest.

Crossing my fingers for a W05 silver bullet. Would love to see another silver arrow rocketship.

Holm86

I have heard that they have developed a new paint for the W05. It is very brightly red but it looks just like silver.

SectorOne

I just hope it´s on par with the Bull next year. A proper dogfight would be nice.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

heimana
heimana

Holm86 wrote:I have heard that they have developed a new paint for the W05. It is very brightly red but it looks just like silver.
where have you heard this?

Holm86

heimana wrote:
Holm86 wrote:I have heard that they have developed a new paint for the W05. It is very brightly red but it looks just like silver.
where have you heard this?
Insider info.

atanatizante

Anon123 wrote:...

Probably to do with the weight of the ERS battery, I think I heard Ted Kravitz mention Mercedes KERS battery is tiny. Also there were rumours in one of the old Merc threads that Mercedes have been developing a radiator which is 30% lighter with the help of an American company.
It`s supposed to be 30% more efficient not lighter ... anyway they are trying for at least 2 years to increase the area of thermal transfer by having 3 radiators which are disposed in layers and all of the structure should have a tear drops shape for aero reasons ...

Nonetheless Michael said (in his last interview regarding the review of the 2013 season : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvh1k7f8ahI) that they have been working for W05 since ... 2010 !!!
And 2014, unfortunately, will be yet again a aero formula rather than a engine one ...

Engine wise, Merc and Honda have some turbo knowledge from the IndyCar experience but I think the latter has the upper hand cuz they ran a bit longer than Merc, if I`m not wrong ... and taking into account what Button said about Merc engine torque I think it could hit them where they hurt them the most, I mean the rear tyres ... so it`s time for them to look deep into some ERS mapping in order to action like a TC, something that RB was doing after the summer break ...

And last but not least the fuel consumption will be one big issue for Merc engine based on the fact that in IndyCar series it was the thirstiest of all but it also true that it was the most powerful of all ... it's a kinda pattern cuz in F1 it was the same story, isn`t it? with rumors saying that Renault has had at least a 5% advantage in the fuel consumption battle and taking into account that RBR was under fueled their cars with at least 5% you could easily see that they have had 4-5 tenths in their pocket at their disposal at anytime in the race ... Thank God that next year with the 100kg rule 5% equals to 5kg and therefore 1,5 tenth a lap so not such a big gain for the Renault engine ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

markn93

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/03/h ... -for-2014/

"I’ve heard a lot of positive things about the Mercedes engine as well" Nico Hulkenberg