Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

This is the speculation thread about the 2014 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Engine speculation has its own thread; unless it directly involves the 2014 Lotus contender, please keep any speculation here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

For other 2014 topics, please check here
#AeroFrodo

skoop
skoop

Re: Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

as i read in another thread (i think it was 2014 winter testing) lotus made a request to push the test in jerez 1 week back. not a good sign..

techF1LES

Looks like Lotus only recently started to run their new E22 in simulator...
https://twitter.com/nico_prost/status/4 ... 6268097536

stefan_
stefan_

Nope, they had it earlier. I remember Nico tweeting about it ~1-2 months ago
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Huntresa
Huntresa

Nothing like Merc then who have had it since 2011 in the sim.

blokkie
blokkie

Please read it correctly ...
he said the E21 Ended in the sim , not when E22 started .
Now only E22 will be tested in the sim.
So presumably E21 and E22 where tested together for comparison.

Racer X

blokkie wrote:Please read it correctly ...
he said the E21 Ended in the sim , not when E22 started .
Now only E22 will be tested in the sim.
So presumably E21 and E22 where tested together for comparison.

Yes this is how i would look at it too.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

WillerZ

I assume Lotus know what engine they are using (if not how are they ever going to get it packaged in time for Melbourne) but has it been made public anywhere?

I would assume Renault were it not that Renault are on the record as wanting to supply three teams and they have already confirmed three: RBR, STR and Caterham.

astracrazy
astracrazy

if they don't know they are in dire trouble (cooling is just one problem)

Ok Brawn kinda done it but it was still designed with an engine in mind. These guys will have no clue...they will have to over compensate everything

turbof1

If they release a car in the first place. Senior members leaving suddenly during winter break often means things aren't going well.

The E22 might become another sad part of in a line of unraced cars. I dearly hope not, but things look grim.
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i think it'll be a lot less extreme as is thought of. I don't think lotus will be as competetive as this year, but they'll still be on the grid. They'll probably keep things quiet because they're working hard on the background on sponsors and finances.
They defended themselves enough in the sense they aren't in the debt like the picture paints. They have no smaller debt then Mclaren has to Vodafone. Genii is their own sponsor, that is simply the case.
So if it was Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes, it is Genii Lotus Renault. that's it.

About the team all that leaves is the question if kimi was paid finally or not, and perhaps Ferrari did that part for them in some sort of deal, who knows.

The Formula 1 official website states Lotus with a Renault engine for 2014, so i think we can assume they have a engine deal.

It's not about whether Lotus is economically sound, because frankly, neither marussia, neither caterham, neither sauber, nor most of the teams seem to be economically very sound. But has that ever been different in F1 history?

I don't think we'll have to worry about lotus showing up with a E22. The question is though, will it be on schedule?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Plus Pastor has added a substantial wedge to finances.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

turbof1

Yes, but they already have a lot of debts. At what point does extra sponsor money become a plus, a way to continue or a manner to pay up the most urgent open bills?
#AeroFrodo

munudeges
munudeges

Manoah2u wrote:They have no smaller debt then Mclaren has to Vodafone.
Eh?
Genii is their own sponsor, that is simply the case.
No they aren't.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Genii owns Lotus, its not a sponsor, they just pump money into a sinking ship each year.