Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CHT
CHT

Re: Lotus E22 Pre-launch Speculation

Great news for Renault customers. If they can survive 100km without catching fire, half the battle is won.

Anyway they are running test tyres lap tines will be irrelevent.

Pup
Pup

...a source, who works at Jerez and was present at the two day event, revealed that on the first day [Friday] the E22 “hardly ran at all and only emerged from the pit garage late in the day.”

On Saturday the E22 “did do around 20 laps” with either Maldonado or Romain Grosjean in the cockpit. But according to the source the E22 was “not running at testing or racing speeds [and was] actually very slow at times” on the second day, and “runs were limited to a few lap” stints at a time.
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4779 ... _at_Jerez/

jmy
jmy

Lotus reaches mileage limit in first run of its 2014 Formula 1 car
"Both the chassis and the new Renault power unit ran without any major problems," a spokesman told AUTOSPORT.
"Pastor settled in very quickly and is already fitting into the team nicely."
"The car went together well and the design and build quality is another step up on the successful E21 of 2013."
"We are looking forward to a full testing programme in Bahrain next week where we will start to see the potential of the new package."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112470

quidam
quidam

Gérard Lopez on the french TV, infosport+, at 18h15 (Paris) : The E22 run "like a clockwork"

Juzh

FrukostScones wrote:
Juzh wrote:They were covering distance, yes. But they did it 15s off the pace.
:roll:
Not sure what you mean? or the guy who downvoted me..

wesley123
wesley123

It was a film day and the first laps of the car. What's the problem of them being 15 seconds off the pace? It's not like they could score points or anything.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pup
Pup

All anyone is saying is that they didn't necessarily disprove any engine rumors. And I don't think anyone expected them to, so really the news from the this-is-not-a-test test is that there's no news.

Had they only been able to run a few laps - that would have been worth talking about. Like I said before, all we know is that they probably aren't as bad off as Red Bull were last week.

Which, I suppose, is...something? :?

Pilatus

LOL,it took years for me to notice that "Burn" is one of their sponsors. :lol:

Also, all the guys around rear end of the car are wearing gloves. Hot, hot, hot.

FrukostScones

Nice teaser. Most interesting views are still hidden... Very good picture control by Lotus PR.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

AnthonyG

Total still present on the car.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Huntresa
Huntresa

Pilatus wrote:LOL,it took years for me to notice that "Burn" is one of their sponsors. :lol:

Also, all the guys around rear end of the car are wearing gloves. Hot, hot, hot.
They have only had Burn one year on the car.

gobjb
gobjb

The prongs on the nose look massive.

Juzh

wesley123 wrote:It was a film day and the first laps of the car. What's the problem of them being 15 seconds off the pace? It's not like they could score points or anything.
I was replying to pup regarding caterham and toro rosso during jerez test, not lotus "filming" day.

iotar__

Pup wrote:All anyone is saying is that they didn't necessarily disprove any engine rumors. And I don't think anyone expected them to, so really the news from the this-is-not-a-test test is that there's no news.

Had they only been able to run a few laps - that would have been worth talking about. Like I said before, all we know is that they probably aren't as bad off as Red Bull were last week.

Which, I suppose, is...something? :?
As opposed to 1 lap on the first day reaction hysteria that meant something? Was that a proof of "continuing" problems of engine manufacturer or Lotus car itself? Of course not.

Car run without problems means exactly that - car run without problems for 20 something laps in first shake-up - draw whatever conclusion you want, they assembled it, systems work, it runs for 100 km etc.
Couple of Lopez interviews (eurosport.fr), not many details, general info, Friday planned, they didn't encounter RB type of problems [google translation is rather bad]:
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... tory.shtml
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... tory.shtml

True, there's no evidence Renault solved their problems, but no one expected that, it just "looks" better now (Horner's statement which I think was connected to test + Renault's fixes + Lotus running). Good enough to cause an uproar by those expecting constant Renault apocalypse (OMG one lap only!), making silly comparisons to Toro Rosso, inventing spirit of the rules "controversies" or expecting lap times/performance data.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

well done lotus. =D> you show 'em. no problems, go to bahrain and top the lists and win 1st gp in AUS in a 1-2 for Romain and Pastor. :twisted: :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"