McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CjC
CjC

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

I think they'll struggle to get any where near the works team just with an update to the side pods, saying that Marc said that mclaren was wasting space the size of a small suitcase, in f1 that is huge!

You have to wonder why it's taken mclaren so long to redesign the side pods just for smaller exhausts or are they planning more? Maybe accommodating the new exhausts is a bigger job than I imagine.
Just a fan's point of view

akshat21
akshat21

CjC wrote:I think they'll struggle to get any where near the works team just with an update to the side pods, saying that Marc said that mclaren was wasting space the size of a small suitcase, in f1 that is huge!

You have to wonder why it's taken mclaren so long to redesign the side pods just for smaller exhausts or are they planning more? Maybe accommodating the new exhausts is a bigger job than I imagine.
I am sure its just not about making the sidepods slimmer. They must have tested all aspects and dimension of the PU and ancillary systems for packaging and would have worked every surface of the side pods for maximum efficiency and balance with the specification they had. Remember the car was being built since late last year. So they must have done a lot of testing with aero surfaces based on data given by Mercedes. Now if there is a space big enough to fill a suitcase, the aerodynamics would have to be re-worked to extract the most benefit of the tighter packaging along with making sure that they optimize (and not compromise) the current aerodynamics of the car.

Also, the slimmer packaging might lead new wing/nose design (as seen in Bahrain test) as they would need to change the way that air is channeled to the rear of the car VIA the new sidepods.

All this can take a lot of testing and time.

I'd guess a big part of the delay is redesign of the shape (or at the very least repackaging) of the radiators and other sodepod contents.

If the just "slimmed down" the sidepods by moving the skin into the existing empty space,it would be a pretty abrupt change in radius of the sidepod curve and may not be helpful.

I'm guessing small step for China = redesigned sidepod skin to take advantage of a bit of the free space, still leaving some until...
...a bigger update for the return to Europe with revised radiator/sidepod innards, optimised for the available space created by the log manifold.

Thunder

China 2014 via AMuS

And peeling of the Gulf Air Stickers....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

gray41

Underside of the engine cover.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

lukje
lukje

Well, looking at the "Gulf Air" logo being peeled off, it looks like the same sidepods are going to be used. That is unless they bring something new yet, which I consider unlikely.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Still have the butterflyl..... :?

Maybe it is worth it afterall

basti313
basti313

JimClarkFan wrote:Still have the butterflyl..... :?

Yes, but they are preparing one car with the double butterfly and one with only one butterfly for FP. So we will see what works best on saturday.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

basti313 wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Still have the butterflyl..... :?

Yes, but they are preparing one car with the double butterfly and one with only one butterfly for FP. So we will see what works best on saturday.
The bottom one just wasn't fitted yet.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what we can see the size of the sidepods appears to be the same. Whith all the respect, what we saw on F1elvis it's not realistical for China :(

Thunder

mclaren_mircea wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what we can see the size of the sidepods appears to be the same. Whith all the respect, what we saw on F1elvis it's not realistical for China :(

We only saw one Sidepod yet, and that was directly from Bahrain. It's a little too early to say they don't have other ones to Test.
#aerogollum

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Thunders wrote:
mclaren_mircea wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what we can see the size of the sidepods appears to be the same. Whith all the respect, what we saw on F1elvis it's not realistical for China :(

We only saw one Sidepod yet, and that was directly from Bahrain. It's a little too early to say they don't have other ones to Test.
I hope you are right, but that sidepod came from U.K not from Bahrain. Normally they can test two FW, two RW, two noses, but I can't believe they can run different bodywork with slimmer sidepods and than the bigger one that we saw until now. I hope I'm wrong and that you are right Thunders :)

Thunder

Well i said it came directly from Bahrain because there was the Gulf Air Sticker on it.

I'm definetly not sure if Macca will bring new Side Pods (if you ask me Barcelona would be the safer Bet) but we should wait till after FP2 to judge that. ^^
#aerogollum

otbsti

Still surprised they haven't covered the driveshafts with an aerodynamic cover like most everyone else... they had them covered last year.
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

Del Boy
Del Boy

otbsti wrote:Still surprised they haven't covered the driveshafts with an aerodynamic cover like most everyone else... they had them covered last year.
The rules prevent drive shaft fairings, exclusively used as a fairing.

Last year the rear part of the wishbone incorporated the drive shaft. Therefore because this year the rear most wishbone is so far back to facilitate the butterflies it can't incorporate the drive shaft.

Or Perhaps the Magnus effect is helping with the butterfly bits!!