Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Re: Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

If anyone sees pictures of Toro Rosso's internal cooling layout can they please post them here.

I am interested in their layout compared with that of their sisters team.
Cheers
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Blackout

Page 15 and forward

-Oil rads placed relatively high, almost outside the sidepods and fed via the lower rollhoop intake.
-One intercooler at the bottom of each sidepod. (smaller than the RBR but closer to the intakes and with a less steep angle)

Godius

McLaren-esque VG's update on top of the sidepods in China:

AMuS

Rear wing with and without gurney strip:

AMuS:

stefan_
stefan_

Spain 2014 - Thursday (08.05.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

Godius wrote:McLaren-esque VG's update on top of the sidepods in China:
AMuS
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Tor ... 774333.jpg
Lotus-esque : P
Lotus was the first one to use them - Melbourne 2012.

Godius

new fw ↓

F1T
Administrative bot

New sidepods just the beginning for Toro Rosso

New sidepods just the beginning for Toro Rosso - Development blog

Toro Rosso have introduced new sidepods on their STR9, removing the curvature on top of the sidepod in favour of a new, more gradual slope towards the rear suspension. Looking from the back of the car it is obvious what the team have tried to achieve as the hot air exits are now closer to the floor, converging towards a design used by Red Bull and Mercedes AMG. In fact, more and more teams are going this direction as Force India had a similar sidepod update, leaving McLaren to be the only team left with outlets alongside the exhaust pipe.

The move may also have allowed the team to relocate some sidepod internals further down to lower the car's centre of gravity, but thus far the team have not confirmed this.

Waywardism
Waywardism

I'm curious about something I saw on the car today, or rather on the coolers that they plug in to the sidepods when the car returns to the garage. There was a large cylinder plugged into the coolers, at one point I saw an engineer taking it off and plugging it into another socket just above the previous one. I've never seen anything like that before, anyone know what it was?

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain Test - Wednesday (09.07.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

Germany - Thursday (17.07.2014)

Thatsnotgonewell
Thatsnotgonewell

Here's the new low drag rear wing for Spa. It looks similar to their previous rear wing but the upper element looks to be trimmed down.

From Omnicorse:

tomazy
tomazy

Forget the rear wing, look at the front wing. Here is low drag for you :shock:

wesley123
wesley123

The front wing flaps aren't mounted yet
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

tomazy
tomazy

Hmm, I havent thought of that, thanks. Just havn't seen a front wing without flaps before.

Godius

Thatsnotgonewell wrote:Here's the new low drag rear wing for Spa. It looks similar to their previous rear wing but the upper element looks to be trimmed down.

From Omnicorse:
I don't think that this is an altered version, this is just the normal version without the gurney flap installed.