Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gianlu27

Re: Toro Rosso STR9 Renault

New Monkey seat
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

jagunx51

edit: new nose & MS

Old nose+ new MS
............!!!!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A great image of the Toro Rosso diffuser.

via Sutton

r.t.1.n
r.t.1.n

Russland GP ,Via Amus

seinfeld
seinfeld

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:A great image of the Toro Rosso diffuser.

http://formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutton/2 ... 4oc308.jpg
via Sutton

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... d6e660.jpg
Maybe a silly question.
see how the strakes are curved. that essentially means the air will go outwards from the center of the car.
Does this offer any advantages then say if the strakes were straight?

Cause if the strakes were straight on the rear diffuser. wouldnt that help the cars chasing get better downforce. as the hole in the air at the moment is from everyone forcing the air outwards? what if the FIA said must have straight strakes, that way wouldnt need so much DRS?

turbof1

The strakes are curved because this aids in expanding the air. This solution tries to "make the diffuser bigger then it is". The more the air is able to expand, the more it drives underbody flow, speeding it up and increasing underbody downforce.
#AeroFrodo

Moose
Moose

seinfeld wrote:Maybe a silly question.
see how the strakes are curved. that essentially means the air will go outwards from the center of the car.
Does this offer any advantages then say if the strakes were straight?

Cause if the strakes were straight on the rear diffuser. wouldnt that help the cars chasing get better downforce. as the hole in the air at the moment is from everyone forcing the air outwards? what if the FIA said must have straight strakes, that way wouldnt need so much DRS?
The goal of the diffuser is to lower the pressure under it as much as it possibly can. The simple, intuitive version of this is that this means ditching as much air as you can into as large an volume as you can. The larger the volume you ditch the air into, the more air that can "fit", and the more air that is sucked out from under the diffuser, and the lower the pressure.

Hence, they try to get the air to both throw the air upwards, and outwards behind the car, as both of those contribute to the suction.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Based on aircraft fence designs, these curved strakes look like fences to help turn the airflow around the outward curving side walls without having it separate.

trinidefender
trinidefender

flyboy2160 wrote:Based on aircraft fence designs, these curved strakes look like fences to help turn the airflow around the outward curving side walls without having it separate.
As far as I'm aware aircraft fences have always been in line with the airflow going over a wing to reduce spanwise flow along the wing.

The strakes in the diffuser do look like they will help the flow to stay attached to the curving outside of the diffuser wall. They also do help a large part make the diffuser "act" like it is bigger than it really is. By pushing the air outwards as well as upwards through the use of a gurney flap the airflow creates a larger low pressure zone right behind the diffuser pulling more airflow. Hence the "acting bigger than it really is" part.

Gianlu27

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

Javert

About the material which the diffuser is built of .. Is there a reason about squares of light gray and dark gray, like in a chess game? I don't understand

SiLo

It's carbon fibre, so they have strands of carbon, almost like thread, that is woven together, one above one below each other to give that effect. It's the strongest way to have the weave arranged (I believe)
Felipe Baby!

pastaracing
pastaracing

Javert wrote:About the material which the diffuser is built of .. Is there a reason about squares of light gray and dark gray, like in a chess game? I don't understand
They use Textreme from Oxeon, a Swedish manufactor of special carbon fibre. They deliver to all teams. Google and learn about the benefits.

stefan_
stefan_

Brazil 2014 - Thursday (06.11.2014)

Last edited by stefan_ on 07 Nov 2014, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Daliracing

Is the 'vain' on the rear crash structure new?