Caterham CT-05 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Caterham CT-05 Renault

idfx wrote:The car would be more elegant without this vanity panel. Interesting Noise.
Yea or atleast shrink-wrap it around the actual crash structure. Seems like they are just wasting area that otherwise could be filled with air instead.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

Wow, that car has huge damage to the suspension, but very little to the nose itself. Just the vanity panel being ripped off.
#AeroFrodo

Klaus
Klaus

Yeah.. I really can't see what the vanity panel is adding there.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Aero...
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Thunder

Klaus wrote:Yeah.. I really can't see what the vanity panel is adding there.
Forcing Air underneath the Car.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Klaus
Klaus

OK yes, I get that it's aero, it just seems like a lot blockage for what it's attempting to achieve. Could the camera pods not do the same job?

SectorOne

Seems like you could put a winglet there instead (similar to Mercedes batwing)
Will do the same job but no obstruct airflow above it like the current design do.

Might also have to use those legality stripes on either side of the nose.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Subamarineing effect?
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

CHT
CHT

The nose structure look likes it capable of piercing through the monocoque

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

CHT wrote:The nose structure look likes it capable of piercing through the monocoque
not this again. :roll:

no, it's not. diving underneath the bottom of another car due to simple physics (shape) and thus having a seemingly intact nose doesn't equal it's made of pure indestructable titanium-diamond that'll impale a driver when it hits the monocoque. the vanity panel took the impact, and so did the suspension, not the nose.

apart from that, you can actually still see damage to the nose, there's a cut/hole there so it gets damaged just by scratching the bottom of the williams.

if any, the mclaren front nose showed how easily it takes impact just by the hit of the trolley that lifts the car at the front.
it's the same for all teams. they had a crash test and they passed it. it's safe.

penatrating noses are rediculous and have zero base to even remotely be concidered a threat.

what actually IS a threat is scooping up a car thanks to the low noses. the nose no longer is a platform that risks having a car sliding up to the driver - but really nothing has changed, in fact, it now is a scoop to make it easier to lift a car up into the cockpit area. that's the point of concern, not a fragile nose that cracks upon the slightest hit.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

idfx

SectorOne wrote:
idfx wrote:The car would be more elegant without this vanity panel. Interesting Noise.
Yea or atleast shrink-wrap it around the actual crash structure. Seems like they are just wasting area that otherwise could be filled with air instead.
http://dy.snimg.com/image-scaler.php?id ... height=720
SectorOne wrote:
Seems like you could put a winglet there instead (similar to Mercedes batwing) Will do the same job but no obstruct airflow above it like the current design do. Might also have to use those legality stripes on either side of the nose.
I'm tempted to make a concept Nose in 3d. Exellent idea.
Has two fronts with inspiring lines. RebellionOrecaR-4-One and Onroak Automotive (Ligier JSP2 LMP2).
images example:
Last edited by idfx on 17 Mar 2014, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
----------

CHT
CHT

Mclaren nose structure is totally different. for Mclaren case, I believe its nose tip is actually hollow.for Caterham I would expect the nose tip to be strong in order to hold the load of the front wing.

idfx

CHT wrote:Mclaren nose structure is totally different. for Mclaren case, I believe its nose tip is actually hollow.for Caterham I would expect the nose tip to be strong in order to hold the load of the front wing.

http://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/2 ... h/nose.jpg
Agree. The McLaren developed a great job. The problem is the caterham redo the front without changing the basic structure. is challenging.
----------

FrukostScones

CottrellGP wrote:Subamarineing effect?
http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/image ... 6645-1.jpg
no, it's called ploughing. it has no intact front suspension anymore so it ploughed through the gravel trap. pretty normal in my opinion.
and before some people now claiming the kinder egg noses of the competition are safer... they are actually not (in the eyes of the FIA that sees only the Caterham within the spirit of the regs, because the nose is one piece impact absorbing and not a low kinder egg and then a high and short crash structure like the McLaren for instance...).
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

idfx

I found a gallery with images of f1. It is quite complete.
----------