Williams FW36 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
scarbs
scarbs

Re: Williams FW36 Mercedes

Yes the finish is Matt white. Apparently it's been on the cars since Silverstone. I only noticed in the flesh this weekend. It's only advantage is better visibility of sponsor logos.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

A RW is the only update introduced by Williams this year that did not work. Pat Symonds confirmed to AMuS that the RW suffered from stall. --> http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 00866.html

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

SPA, Belgium GP

Sevach
Sevach

On a first, very superficial, look it seems like the normal aero package.

tomazy
tomazy

I have a theory, that Williams has such a low drag car allready (consistantly higher top speed than others) that they can just put a litle less wing on the current aero package for Spa. Other teams would have to do much more, and secrifice more downforce (DF) for the same top speed. In that case, best sector for FW36 would be the second one, conturary to what you would belive to be the case.

That is why I think Spa is a perfect place for this car. There are only 2 cars on the grid with higher DF (Mercedes and Red Bull) and one witch has about the same (Ferrari). Red Bull and Ferrari are down on power, and lower DF for Mercedes could mean that they are running at lower efficienca drag/DF wise. Menwhille, Williams are running similar configuration all seson, and that is becouse there car is most efficient in this setup.

Well, beeing a Williams fan I hope this is the case, and please I want a dry straightforward race [-o< (I know , I know, unlikely at Spa)

Thatsnotgonewell
Thatsnotgonewell

Sevach wrote:On a first, very superficial, look it seems like the normal aero package.
I think you're right, but I did notice the gurney flaps on the front wing upper element have been extended quite a waze and are now almost at full length. This seems strange. I would think it would be the other way around with Hungary being the high down force setup and Spa with them trimmed back for lower drag. Stranger still I thought Hungary was a front limited circuit and Spa a rear limited circuit, which again would lead me to think they've got it backwards.

Maybe this is just how they ship the car, it's only Wednesday.

Spa (notice the dark area at the top of the upper element. It almost looks like tape):

Hungary:

mbchc
mbchc

Was the nose tip smaller and shorter as well as the rear wing lowered down?
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

McMrocks
McMrocks

mbchc wrote:Was the nose tip smaller and shorter as well as the rear wing lowered down?
I don't think they changed anything at the nose. The rear-wing will be a different one due to the track-design. In the pictures above you can see that they removed the old RW they ran in the last races. But every team will have a new RW for Spa and Monza due to the characteristics

mbchc
mbchc

ya I know , however I don't noticed any significant changes to the rear wing rather than just lowered down the main component , I noticed that the main part was a bit closer to the monkey seat.... maybe just me :roll:
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

McMrocks
McMrocks

mbchc wrote:ya I know , however I don't noticed any significant changes to the rear wing rather than just lowered down the main component , I noticed that the main part was a bit closer to the monkey seat.... maybe just me :roll:
maybe they highered the monkey seat. You can't lower the main part becasue of the rules. I guess they used the full size the rules allow in the last races, so it's impossible to lower the main part

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Morteza

Belgium 2014 - Thursday (21.08.2014)

auto-motor-und-sport.de
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

stefan_
stefan_

Belgium 2014 - Thursday (21.08.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mbchc
mbchc

McMrocks wrote:
mbchc wrote:ya I know , however I don't noticed any significant changes to the rear wing rather than just lowered down the main component , I noticed that the main part was a bit closer to the monkey seat.... maybe just me :roll:
maybe they highered the monkey seat. You can't lower the main part becasue of the rules. I guess they used the full size the rules allow in the last races, so it's impossible to lower the main part
Yes,I think they have highered up the monkey seat, but other than that, I don't notice any changed whatsoever... Are they not going for a lower downforce and drag package? :roll: maybe a smaller and smoother sidepod? Coz spa is kinda cool compare to previous races.
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

roadie

stefan_ wrote:Belgium 2014 - Thursday (21.08.2014)
Interesting here how the strakes on the outside of the RWEP point down. On the McLaren they point up.

I remember Mercedes saying they run maximum downforce everywhere. I wonder if that is the same for Williams?