Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

i think you're seeing ghosts, all i see is exactly the same bar a smaller radiator that presumably has either been removed because it had a flaw or it still had to be mounted.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Blackout

So the smaller radiator sits just behind the big one? that makes no sense...

Blackout

bhall
bhall

Google Translate's not bad. It doesn't seem to like Italian that much, though.

CBeck113
CBeck113

Here's what Bing says:
The Renault has changed the discharges its Energy power-unit F1: French engineers, in fact, in tests of Bahrain have experienced a different solution of three-in-one tube with the goal of having a lateral dimensions more content, in order to reduce the serious aerodynamic locking that generated, allowing the radiator to warm air flow from the open slots in the car queue of customers. The change had already given a good result in tests last week in the Emirate and was brought to the team in China which have been made into a good benefit ...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

bhall
bhall

CBeck113 wrote:Here's what Bing says...
So, you're the one? :)

CBeck113
CBeck113

Ok, I'll go back in my closet now... :)
On a more serious note, I have to use Internet Explorer at work, and the Translation occurs easliy with a right click, and it is as good or better than Google (not much else about Bing ist though)..

Back to the topic, I guess that Renault has found a way to reduce the excessive heat from the PU, and I'll take a wild guess that they've changed the software to get there (how else?). Now the Teams ca begin to redesign their cooling Systems to get an aero benefit from this improvement. That's good News...for once...

P.S.: Is the spell check coming from the Forum or the browser? Either way it sucks, and makes more mistakes than I do (yes, really).
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Blackout

I used google translator but it's still not clear. What does this mean ''a different solution of three-in-one tube with the goal of having a lateral dimensions more content'' ? the Kers and Ters have 3in1 cables already, but here he talks about the radiators...

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

It's exhaust manifold layout.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

dren

Owen.C93 wrote:It's exhaust manifold layout.
Yes, this. It is helping in aero gains and in heat output to radiator.
Honda!

atlantis
atlantis

That article reports that Lotus has tested a different exhaust tubes layout, more compact than before, in order to have less "aero blockage" and a better hot air flow inside the car

Blackout

Thank you all. The Ominicorse pic shows the old manifold then. Lotus had classic and cumbersome ones while all the other teams opted for more compact manifolds (log type for the Merc teams / vertical trident for the Ferrari teams, the Caterham and maybe the STR...)

dren

Is that charge cooler on the very bottom? Looks like it's charge to water, then the water is air cooled above.
Honda!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yes it is.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PhillipM
PhillipM

Seems a very strange way of routing the manifold and wastegate pipe, to the casual eye it looks like it could have been packaged far tighter if they just looped upwards and rearwards. :?: